News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Evidence against Hell?

Started by SisterAgatha, October 03, 2017, 08:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 03, 2017, 08:50:51 PM
Then again there is no evidence for love and happiness yet they exist.

Yes, but so much more so now that you're here,
I wish I could see you, look, look into your eyes.
What colour are your eyes, your beautiful eyes?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 04, 2017, 12:36:26 PM
Quote from: Recusant on October 04, 2017, 03:46:06 AM
Catholic sisters take a vow of poverty, so I expect SisterAgatha won't touch that penny.

Now now, you knew I'd take that as challenge.
You are complicit in the wrongs I'm about to do.

:lol: I fully accept my complicity.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 04, 2017, 12:36:26 PM
Quote from: Recusant on October 04, 2017, 03:46:06 AM
Catholic sisters take a vow of poverty, so I expect SisterAgatha won't touch that penny.

Now now, you knew I'd take that as challenge.
You are complicit in the wrongs I'm about to do.

:rofl:

I don't think you're her type, BP, she likes 'em imaginary.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 03, 2017, 08:35:28 PM
Maybe this should be merged but I don't really know.

I am ever so terrified of Hell. The fact that other people have gone there and I myself may one day go too if I'm not good.

I almost at times wish Hell doesn't exist, but our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ spoke of it far more than of Heaven.

Can you people tell me why you don't believe in Hell and it's eternity?

Do you believe what Christian clergy tell you?

If so, believe this honest Bishop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6I5VSZVqc

Further, Jesus was a Jew and there is no hell in the Jewish belief system.

The concept of hell is just accepted by some because of a love to hate all others not of their ilk.

Here is an eye opener for you if your religious indoctrination and dogma allow you to see the truth from this other preacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv_rmQuagpY

Please stop believing in the lies your clegy has been feeding you.

Yahweh is mean, but he is not prick enough to torture you after you die.

Then again, he is a genocidal son murderer so he might be a big enough prick to get his jollies watching you burn.

Regards
DL

Guardian85

The Bible does not refer to Hell, but rather to Gehenna. Gehenna was the site of the refuse pile of ancient Jerusalem. It is where the bad people's (thieves, murderers, blasphemers, etc.) corpses were thrown after their torturous executions.
The current Christian notion of Hell as a place of divine punishment owes more to the non-biblical books "Paradise Lost" and Dante's "Inferno" than descriptions from the Bible.

The English name Hell, by the way, comes from the Norse goddess Hel, who ruled the underworld in norse mythology.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Guardian85 on October 06, 2017, 11:36:41 PM
The Bible does not refer to Hell, but rather to Gehenna. Gehenna was the site of the refuse pile of ancient Jerusalem. It is where the bad people's (thieves, murderers, blasphemers, etc.) corpses were thrown after their torturous executions.
The current Christian notion of Hell as a place of divine punishment owes more to the non-biblical books "Paradise Lost" and Dante's "Inferno" than descriptions from the Bible.

The English name Hell, by the way, comes from the Norse goddess Hel, who ruled the underworld in norse mythology.

Good points.  If you understand that "hell" was a garbage dump, it explains a lot of the fire and brimstone imagery.  Jesus did not use it as a reference to a literal place of eternal torment.  It's a metaphor.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 07, 2017, 04:46:04 AM
Quote from: Guardian85 on October 06, 2017, 11:36:41 PM

Good points.  If you understand that "hell" was a garbage dump, it explains a lot of the fire and brimstone imagery.  Jesus did not use it as a reference to a literal place of eternal torment.  It's a metaphor.
It may have been a metaphor then but it's very real to billions now and emotionally cripples many of those.  :(

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

This Michael Che comedy special has good bit about starting at 33:56:
https://youtu.be/ueutuaPIa8M?t=33m56s
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.