Author Topic: Another Mass Shooting  (Read 677 times)

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
Re: Another Mass Shooting
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2017, 11:06:18 PM »
I agree with all you have said. But I feel there is more to the issue. Guns facilitate violence both practically and psychologically in a way only a weapon can. It becomes a focus of intent in a way a pressure cooker can't. A gun is a device that is violence incarnate. To achieve justification for its existence it must do violence or threaten to do violence.

I understand your perspective but I would have to disagree.  I think such a view is akin to stating that people are driven to violence simply because the opportunity exists. From my perspective, a gun is a device - on that we agree.  However, my view of a gun being a threat is largely dependent upon the human wielding it and their intentions.  The same would go for a machete, a baseball bat, or even a screw driver.  I think that it is not a gun problem America has but an social integrity problem and an inability to deal effectively with mental health.

I would be curious to let you elaborate on why you view firearms and a manifestation of violence.
You appear a sane and thoughtful individual  thus you see a gun as a device. The issue that concerns me is the immediacy and level of violence (and thus perceived power) of a gun lowers the threshold of temptation to use a gun. Nobody to my knowledge has ever sat stroking a pressure cooker because it was aspirational to own one or gave them a sense of power.

So if you have a toxic mix of mental health issues and guns why not simply remove the guns? There will still be murders but as many? I strongly doubt that. How many deaths is America willing to pay to keep guns on the streets? Thousands and thousands and thousands by the look of it.

In answer to your question about violence I find it impossible not to associates guns with violence. When has there ever been a scene in a TV show or movie when a gun was portrayed in anything other than in the context of violence? I can't think of one and even if I could it would be one in 1,000, one in 10,000, one in a million? The perception of guns is that they are violence and power incarnate. The TV and movie industry thrive and amplify that perception 24/7/365.

You raise a valid point about Timothy McVeigh, but it's not the whole story. He put a huge amount of thought, effort and most importantly time into what he did. It wasn't an off the cuff action so in terms of day-to-day gun violence it was atypical.

America is soaked with guns. It has poor mental health care. And that combination is killing you by the thousands and will continue as long as owning guns is considered aspirational, glamorous and a significant part of the economy. Many Americans love guns. Think about that, they love guns. It's not just the individuals that are deranged it's pretty much the whole of American society. Apologies if that sounds rude and brutal. :(

I so wish I had more time right now Tank but work and homework drain my time.  I'll try to respond soon.  Just wanted to let you know I wasn't ignoring you.

No problem. I'm not going anywhere.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

• Can Define Jihad
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2017, 11:37:57 PM »
Are you allowed to wear a sword in public?

As of September 1st, here in Texas we can.  Much to my disappointment I haven't witnessed a bunch of people running after each other with swords drawn yelling, "There can be only one!"

Yeah, I forgot about the new law.  Now I can justify buying a sword at the Texas Renaissance Festival.

Cutlass, sabre, broad or epee?  A gladius might be more convenient in the car or bus!

The idea of carrying a sword cane while flaneuring in a Parisian boulevard has always appealed to the romantic in me.

Dragonia

• Out of the Religious Closet
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2017, 05:15:58 AM »
Comme ci? ;)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Father Bruno

• Deranged Psychopathic Twinkle Toes
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
  • Save water. Shower together!
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2017, 09:10:36 AM »
A few things that are harder to get than guns in America:

Food stamps
Sudafed
Marriage licenses
Dildos
Raw milk

We are obsessed with guns, and this obsession is killing and injuring Americans at what some would call an alarming rate. However, there are some that would say these deaths and injuries, although tragic are the price for freedom here in America.

Apparently all the other free countries in the world aren't really free because they don't suffer anything approaching the same rate of deaths or injuries we Americans due. Some of these casualty figures for the US are listed below.

Numbers for 2017. (But hey, we still have several months to go...)

Total Number of Incidents: 48,240
Number of Deaths: 12,058
Number of Injuries: 24,564
Number of Children (age 0-11)
Killed or Injured: 563

Number of Teens (age 12-17)
Killed or Injured: 2,524
Mass Shooting: 279
Officer Involved Incident
Officer Shot or Killed: 240
Officer Involved Incident
Subject-Suspect Shot or Killed: 1,609
Home Invasion: 1,923
Defensive Use: 1,571
Unintentional Shooting: 1,567

I think this picture of lifelong white supremacist and neo-fucking Nazi, Dennis Mothersbaugh while wearing his God, Guns, & TRUMP shirt, which was taken recently while he was being extradited to Charlottesville sums up the far rights obsession quite well.

GOD, GUNS, & TRUMP

This issue will not go away, mass shootings will continue to occur, death rates from guns will continue to rise each year. At some point America will turn itself into a third world nation unlike any other on the planet, and the very freedoms we love and cherish will be smothered and choked from our society.
We'll have our guns, but nothing else.
Every taco is hand rolled with exotic Mexican spices by genuine Mayan Virgins.
Or. Carlos, depending on who's available.

Bad Penny II

• Rides the Sonic Rain Boom
  • Borderline Troll
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2017, 09:48:56 AM »
A few things that are harder to get than guns in America:

Food stamps

I thought you could pick 'em up at a discount from the poor.
Use 'em to pay for your shopping and with the money you save pay for your holiday.
Oh, oh, my, and who really cares

Bad Penny II

• Rides the Sonic Rain Boom
  • Borderline Troll
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »
Are bayonets OK?
I feel safer with a bayonet, if I run out of those little pointy death things, or have a jam, I don't want to be left reaching for my second gun when confronted by a government interloper.
Oh, oh, my, and who really cares