Main Menu

Thoughts on Hell?

Started by SisterAgatha, October 02, 2017, 03:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Father Bruno on October 02, 2017, 07:53:18 PM
Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 02, 2017, 06:46:37 PM
Just think of this.

If my God is real..you people are FINISHED!!

I like the "If"... ::)

Reminds me of the Ancient Spartan reply to King Philip of Macedon:

QuoteAround 350 BC, King Philip II of Macedon started invading the crap out of Greece. After he had several key footholds under his command, Philip decided to start putting pressure on Sparta, and sent them the following threatening message: "If I win this war, you will be slaves forever."

The Spartan's sent back a single word in reply: "if". Other versions of the event involved Philip sending the decidedly more verbose threat, "If once I enter into your territories, I will destroy ye all, never to rise again." Again, the Spartan's recorded reply was simply the word "If." Apparently, the sheer awesomeness of this quote has muddied the waters of history as to the exact wording of Philip's threat. That's fine, because the Spartan reply is all we, or anyone else, should care about.

Regardless of what exactly Philip said, the message he'd gotten back was clear: stay the hell away from Sparta. Which he did — although Philip sacked most of Greece, he never once set foot in Sparta, and never bothered them again, except for that other time he totally did.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 03, 2017, 12:33:40 AM
If you want a sense of what Hell is listen to this lovey man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1dDbnWRSLI

I don't think you even listened to that lecture yourself, SisterAgatha. Do you know why I think that?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 03, 2017, 12:51:22 AM
Quote from: Father Bruno on October 02, 2017, 07:53:18 PM
Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 02, 2017, 06:46:37 PM
Just think of this.

If my God is real..you people are FINISHED!!

I like the "If"... ::)

Reminds me of the Ancient Spartan reply to King Philip of Macedon:

QuoteAround 350 BC, King Philip II of Macedon started invading the crap out of Greece. After he had several key footholds under his command, Philip decided to start putting pressure on Sparta, and sent them the following threatening message: "If I win this war, you will be slaves forever."

The Spartan's sent back a single word in reply: "if". Other versions of the event involved Philip sending the decidedly more verbose threat, "If once I enter into your territories, I will destroy ye all, never to rise again." Again, the Spartan's recorded reply was simply the word "If." Apparently, the sheer awesomeness of this quote has muddied the waters of history as to the exact wording of Philip's threat. That's fine, because the Spartan reply is all we, or anyone else, should care about.

Regardless of what exactly Philip said, the message he'd gotten back was clear: stay the hell away from Sparta. Which he did — although Philip sacked most of Greece, he never once set foot in Sparta, and never bothered them again, except for that other time he totally did.

Nice reply xSP ;D I had forgotten about that little bit of history. "If" our guest was actually nun, then I would be curious to know why "she" led her statement with such a word of doubt and chance, but again she's no more of a nun than I am an actual priest. (Though I have given thought to starting my own church, well I have a name for it anyway. "The Church of the Divine Primate". What do y'all think of that, good name or no?)

Quote from: Recusant on October 03, 2017, 05:42:48 AM
Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 03, 2017, 12:33:40 AM
If you want a sense of what Hell is listen to this lovey man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1dDbnWRSLI

I don't think you even listened to that lecture yourself, SisterAgatha. Do you know why I think that?

I'm curious to know why you think that Recusant, as I doubt SeesterAgatha" will respond to your question. I would say it's because the venerable Monsignor Sheen is fucking boring as hell, and his description of hell is about as useful as wet toilet paper to wipe ones ass. (Or because only 11 people have taken the time to watch it, most likely as a sleep aid)

Unfortunately I remember this guy all to well from my school days, we had to watch tapes of his show in class. Just hearing that fucking monotone voice of boredom has me nodding at me desk.... :yawn:
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Recusant

It's because that isn't actually the full lecture, and there's no link to the final part. A full version is readily available on YouTube. That particular version was put on the 'net in 2013. I know that for several years YouTube had a rather short time limit on videos uploaded to the site, but I don't remember when they started allowing longer videos. The full version was uploaded last year and is approximately twice as long as the version SisterAgatha gave a link to.

If she wanted us heathens to get the good word from the smarmy Bishop Sheen, you'd think she'd link to its full version. I think she put something about Catholicism and hell into a search engine, saw that video and posted here it without ever bothering to listen to it.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

SisterAgatha

Monsignor Sheen is amazing! Although he was dead in the ground long before I was born he sure knew how to teach and preach.

If Sheen won't turn you to Catholocism nothing will! He is far better and more intellectual than anything we have today. He is like some Irish aristocrat or something in terms of how elegent and eloquent he is.

Check this out..it's about the rise of the antichrist and how society's changed will herald his coming!

Even in 1947 athesits were causing a stir, saying this life is the only one you need to live for..etc..well he has a thing or two to say about that!

Tank

Lots of theists have a lot to say about other people and the way they should behave. Funny thing is that us atheists just watch with perplexed astonishment at the abject stupidity of people who think there is actually something in charge!!!  :rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

solidsquid

Helheim? Not such a bad place I hear...possibly a shortage of chairs though and not nearly as much mead to be had as Valhalla.  AC/DC wrote a song about traveling there but they added an unnecessary "l" to Hel and called it the "highway" instead of Helvegr, but I guess "highway" is more modern and sounds better than "interstate".

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Father Bruno on October 03, 2017, 01:44:30 PM
Nice reply xSP ;D I had forgotten about that little bit of history. "If" our guest was actually nun, then I would be curious to know why "she" led her statement with such a word of doubt and chance, but again she's no more of a nun than I am an actual priest. (Though I have given thought to starting my own church, well I have a name for it anyway. "The Church of the Divine Primate". What do y'all think of that, good name or no?)

:notsure: I guess it's a "well-behaved" name for a Church. ;)

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 04, 2017, 12:42:17 AM
Quote from: Father Bruno on October 03, 2017, 01:44:30 PM

:notsure: I guess it's a "well-behaved" name for a Church. ;)

I like it.  Not as alluring as the Church of Bacon, but given my nebulous aversion to meat that one is out for me.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Quote from: solidsquid on October 03, 2017, 11:45:05 PM
Helheim? Not such a bad place I hear...possibly a shortage of chairs though and not nearly as much mead to be had as Valhalla.  AC/DC wrote a song about traveling there but they added an unnecessary "l" to Hel and called it the "highway" instead of Helvegr, but I guess "highway" is more modern and sounds better than "interstate".

Now you've gone and reminded me of this:
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 04, 2017, 02:40:06 AM
Quote from: solidsquid on October 03, 2017, 11:45:05 PM

Now you've gone and reminded me of this:

I love that video ! ;D

I think we should make it the "Official Video " for HAF.

Bad Penny II

It's in shells.
It's where the noise comes from.
Don't believe me?  :o
Just record the noise a shell makes and play it backwards.
Then you'll know.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

SisterAgatha

Assuming Hell is real.... and I think it is..everyone there is in BIG TROUBLE.

They are there of their own free will because they do not love God.  Unless you atheists turn around and start loving God again you will be in big trouble.

Did you know that when Jesus comes again there will be a universal resurrection? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Judgment#Judaism

That means that all the souls who have ever lived will get their bodies back. The souls in heaven will have bodies that are attractive and sparkly looking.

The souls in Hell will have putrid rotten corpses.

If being a soul in Hell is terrible, imagine having a body and soul in Hell? horrid

The damned are in such pain and despair that they vent their sadness/frustrations on each other. And sorry people, there are no friends in Hell, because friendship is based on love, God is love, and God is not in Hell.

Everyone you kind of liked in life you will hate once you are damned with them.

Just imagine a cheating scoundrel husband and his mistress who are damned together because of their sin. Do you think they will still be looking lustfully into each others eyes after the final judgement.

No. They will be tearing each others eyes OUT!!

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 07, 2017, 07:48:44 PM
Assuming Hell is real.... and I think it is..everyone there is in BIG TROUBLE.

They are there of their own free will because they do not love God.  Unless you atheists turn around and start loving God again you will be in big trouble.

Did you know that when Jesus comes again there will be a universal resurrection? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Judgment#Judaism

That means that all the souls who have ever lived will get their bodies back. The souls in heaven will have bodies that are attractive and sparkly looking.

The souls in Hell will have putrid rotten corpses.

If being a soul in Hell is terrible, imagine having a body and soul in Hell? horrid

The damned are in such pain and despair that they vent their sadness/frustrations on each other. And sorry people, there are no friends in Hell, because friendship is based on love, God is love, and God is not in Hell.

Everyone you kind of liked in life you will hate once you are damned with them.

Just imagine a cheating scoundrel husband and his mistress who are damned together because of their sin. Do you think they will still be looking lustfully into each others eyes after the final judgement.

No. They will be tearing each others eyes OUT!!

I'm so bloody scared,..."shivers"...since this thread has turned into a joke, I might as well let Jim Jeffries give you his opinion on the matter, since it matches mine more or less...(Since your a Roman Catholic Nun it's captioned in latin)

QuoteThe bible, that's god book, as far as I know the devil hasn't brought out a book yet, haven't heard his side of the argument. God's just writing shit about him, and the devil's being the bigger man and saying I'm not even going to comment, talking shit about me like that.