News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Thoughts on Hell?

Started by SisterAgatha, October 02, 2017, 03:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SisterAgatha

Now, I know as atheists you people probably don't believe in Hell.

Funny enough many religious people don't either. Many Christians really don't either.

I used to be among their number. I always thought God loved everybody so much that there is no way he would really send anyone to Hell forever.

I used to think this way but I am not sure I do anymore. I know atheists think its sort of a cop-out when Christians say people "Send themselves" to Hell. Unfortunately I think this is true though.

Why? Because people send themselves to Hell in this life.

Ironically I don't think the atrocities and horror of living on planet earth (the holocaust, hurricane katrina, AIDS epidemic, war etc.) are really good depictions of Hell. Even in the midst of horrors and tragedies often people find it in themselves to love and care for each other and still see the silverzlining in a pitch black cloud.

A better understanding or visualization of Hell (and Hell to come) is just how other sinful people behave n this life, how they relate to other people, and honestly how they relate to themselves.

There indeed are people in this life who don't give their fellow man, their family, or the world around them so much as a thought. They are ruled by spite and selfishness, and at times enjoy being cruel and hateful to other people.

We see this attitude in spouses who commit adultery, in children and parents who are mean and hateful to each other just for the sake of it, cutthroat people trying to get ahead, and people who really have no time whatever for generosity, compassion, or a worldview that involves the feelings and lives of others apart from themselves.

I honestly feel that to be without love, unable to give it or receive it is Hell's truest manifestation, and I honestly would be scared to end up there.

I said it earlier, but my idea of God is that he is pure love. Not that he loves sometimes, or loves some people and hates others but he honestly is love to it's deepest core.

Any ideas?

Recusant

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 02, 2017, 03:19:28 PM
Now, I know as atheists you people probably don't believe in Hell.

Well done, SisterAgatha, you're right. It's very hard to find an atheist who believes in hell, but there are atheists who have just about any belief that you can imagine, including belief in some sort of afterlife. There are even people who call themselves atheist who believe in some sort of god. Obviously they're unclear on the concept.

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 02, 2017, 03:19:28 PM[snipped speculations]

Any ideas?

What sort of ideas are you looking for, SisterAgatha? Are you hoping to find an atheist who believes in the afterlife here? Are you asking atheists to speculate about something they don't think exists?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

SisterAgatha

Funny you should mention speculating on the afterlife.

I was just talking with one of my fellow nuns, Sister Bellarmine.

She really is having a problem with one of the students in her class, sort of a roguish prankster by the name of Billy Flanagan.

According to sister, Billy causes her no end of trouble. He sometimes is caught spitting spit balls at other children, claims his "dog ate his homework" , sometimes steals chalk and other office supplies, and well..can be a bit "too fresh" with his female classmates. Personally I feel he is a charming, good hearted but irresponsible young man who could use direction in his life. "Charming Billy" is my nickname for him.

Unforuntately Sister Bellarmine is convinced he will go to Hell if he continues on his current road.

We were having tea in her office one Friday evening (we nuns sure know how to party huh  ;D?!)

We were discussing Hell. The bible doesn't exactly say what Hell is like, and so I asked that question to her.

She smiled, sipped her tea, holding her teacup with her big sausage fingers (she honestly could be a football player if she wasn't a nun!) and told me this account:

Imagine you are a criminal led to a judge, the most beautfiful and kind judge in the world. You are guilty of a plethora of crimes against him. Because of the judge's great virtue your punishment will be great.

Imagine being led by really strong and muscular guards being dragged to what appears to be a very large Oven. You hear cries and moans coming from within and the smell of burning flesh. You panic when you are lead to the oven struggling and screaming for all your might but the guards do not acknowledge your fear. The doors are flung open and the smoke,heat and burning flesh overpowers you.

"Please IM so sorry!" You will shriek when the judge comes to watch your sentence. The judge quietly and sadly shakes his head, as if to tell you you had plenty of time to say your sorry before. Now it is simply too late.

You are flung in with all the other starved dehydrated prisoners and the door is slammed shut. Here there are no amusements, no fun, and no hope and no purpose in life. The other people are so depressed and hopeless that they will likely be mean and nasty to you. Showing you no kindness and perhaps enjoying your suffering.

The heat, the hunger, the thirst and the utter lack of love are overpowering. After a few minutes you will cry in despair and say "when? when will we be let out? How long will this last?" The other wizened human corpes will stare at you with vacant eyes.. eyes brimming with despair and sorrow and say "Never. Forever!" Oh how you will shriek and cry when that happens!

The horrifying thing is though, according to Sister, is that if that event were to happen IRL there would be an end to it. Death and the possibility of heaven. Think of it going on forever though. After awhile you'd likely rip your face off in anguish and agony.

I believe Sister Bellarmine has a good heart and means well. But I find her a bit too grim at times, and her preoccupation with the suffering of the damned..a bit creepy. Billy needs to behave himself, but I doubt telling him a horror story will whip him into shape. She is a good colleague and a holy and pious woman but I do feel I need to broaden my social circle a bit more... :-\ :-\ :-\

Dave

I won't use a swear word out of resoect for your position, Sister, but that looks like a load of testicles to me.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

SisterAgatha

OK... Sister Bellarmine...is a bit of a character. I love her but she is sort of like the crazy old great aunt who you invite to thanksgiving and are nice to because of moral obligations?

The poor dear is pushing 80..so don't judge her for this...

But she told me, a direct quote "Everyone is so awe-struck by the fact that all those Jews were baked into ovens way back in World War 2. Its bad but it is nothing compared to the ETERNAL OVEN..the oven where sinners go, have gone and will go until the second coming of Christ."

Not sure why she had to drag the Holocaust into a theological discussion...but OK...

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

My thoughts on hell? It's an ill thought idea that lacks even internal coherence.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 02, 2017, 04:06:02 PM
Funny you should mention speculating on the afterlife.

[snipped unresponsive loquacity]

You didn't answer my questions, SisterAgatha. What sort of ideas are you looking for? Are you hoping to find an atheist who believes in the afterlife here? Are you asking atheists to speculate about something they don't think exists?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

Rap pretty much constitutes hell!

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on October 02, 2017, 04:20:57 PM
"Sister"

I don't blame you one bit Mags as I feel exactly the same...whomever this poster is they are certainly not a nun...my bet would be it's a man, and I would also bet that it's the same person who was here a couple months ago pretending to be a young Catholic kid in High School named Manga, remember all of the NDE postings?

This thread, along with "her" other postings are so transparent, especially this latest bit about the wee young lad named, "Billy Flanagan"...I bet me entire bowlful of Lucky Charms that's also a total figment of manga SeesterAgatha's imagination.

Imagine mind ya', sending wee little Billy Flanigan off to hell just for shooting spitballs? (Sounds better if you read this out loud in your best Irish accent)

I'm having tomato soup for lunch today, actually tomato with roasted bell peppers, along with just a tiny bit of warm sourdough bread...it's really yummy! :P

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

SisterAgatha

Just think of this.

If my God is real..you people are FINISHED!!

Recusant

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 02, 2017, 06:46:37 PM
Just think of this.

Please familiarize yourself with the rules of this site, SisterAgatha. Your quoted post is nothing but preaching. Anything further along this line will get a moderator warning, and if you persist you'll be suspended from the site.
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Just think of this.

Sounds like you're EXCITED about this!!
Your god must be so proud of you!!
AND...and... the little children "you teach this hate to..." They are so lucky to have you!!
You make the world a much better place.
:tellmemore:

**Where the hell is the sarcasm font!?**  :Gaah:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Just think of this.

And if his name is Allah where would you expect to go? I expect you could end up as one of an Islamist suicide bombers 72 virgins.  We're all going to hell in somebodies mythology. And your boss thinks that atheists go to heaven, you said so yourself.  :grin:

Second example of trolling.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.