Author Topic: xSilverPhinx's Journey Towards A Master's Thread  (Read 1085 times)

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
Re: xSilverPhinx's Journey Towards A Master's Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2017, 07:53:13 PM »
... It convinced me that the human brain can completely deceive itself and become incapable of discerning reality.
Cough cough!!!

Sorry. That was too good to miss  :mb lol:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

• No Wall in my name!!!
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 02:19:25 AM »
... It convinced me that the human brain can completely deceive itself and become incapable of discerning reality.
Cough cough!!!

I don't think there is any question about it.  We can all be deceived completely.  I've seen it in myself and others too many times. 

In case you were making the case that this should undermine my religious sentiments, remember that one reason I keep those in the realm of faith rather than claiming knowledge is my conviction that the human brain is so prone to being deceived.  If we all start from that understanding, it can eliminate extreme positions on either side.

For example, in my view, the statements "I am 100% convinced that God exists" and "I am 100% convinced that God does not exist" are basically meaningless statements, since the fact that anyone of us is "convinced" of anything is, in itself, no evidence of anything at all.  Everyone of us has, at one point or another in his/her life, been convinced of something that turned out to be false.

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 06:34:17 AM »
Cough cough!!!

I don't think there is any question about it.  We can all be deceived completely.  I've seen it in myself and others too many times. 

In case you were making the case that this should undermine my religious sentiments, remember that one reason I keep those in the realm of faith rather than claiming knowledge is my conviction that the human brain is so prone to being deceived.  If we all start from that understanding, it can eliminate extreme positions on either side.

For example, in my view, the statements "I am 100% convinced that God exists" and "I am 100% convinced that God does not exist" are basically meaningless statements, since the fact that anyone of us is "convinced" of anything is, in itself, no evidence of anything at all.  Everyone of us has, at one point or another in his/her life, been convinced of something that turned out to be false.

:hooked:  :snicker:
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • The Cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is No Cure For Curiosity.
  • On The Warpath
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 09:34:14 PM »
So today was my second day interning at a university hospital. Since I had some spare time I went to Human Resources and got my access card so I could get past the turnstile without having to ask a very grumpy-looking employee to open the wheelchair access door for me.

'Twas the moment of truth. Me vs. the turnstile. I walked up to it and placed my card on the reader, while anxiously waiting to hear the 'click' that meant I could walk through. Nothing came.

Ok, I thought. Must be broken, I tried to convince myself. I went to the neighbouring one and got the same result.

I'm not going to try this with every single one, I thought, so I went to the grumpy employee and asked to pass. 

Once on the other side, I walked up the flight of stairs to the lab and placed the access card on the door reader. Didn't work.

Spoiler: show

So I rang the bell and was let in. I didn't even try getting past the second door with my card, instead I asked the secretary to open it for me. Same for the third door.

Guess I'll have to find the time to go to HR again tomorrow.
I'm just a student of the game that they taught me.

BooksCatsEtc

• Surprisingly OK
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2017, 11:29:22 PM »
^^^ Ah, the marvels of technology.
Sandy

"I think this is the prettiest world -- as long as you don't mind a little dying, how could there be a day in your whole life that doesn't have its splash of happiness?"  from The Kingfisher, by Mary Oliver

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • On The Warpath
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2017, 11:37:37 PM »
^^^ Ah, the marvels of technology.

Right?  ::)

Icarus

• The wise one.
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2017, 11:47:53 PM »
That sounds like a place that is definitely secure.  No one getting in that place without credentials.  Hmmmnnnn what credentials are required???..................scary....it might be some evil sci- fi lab that is hell bent to eliminate humans in favor of sinister AI imbued robots.

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • On The Warpath
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2017, 12:35:54 AM »
Yeah, it seems secure enough. When I was given the access card they told me if I lose it I must contact them ASAP so that they can deactivate it.  :panic:

:notsure: I don't know what credentials are required, all I know is that I had to fill out loads of paperwork and collect a number of signatures...I want a functional access card dammit!  :grrr:

Maybe they are working on something sinister.  :suspicious: It is a Catholic university hospital after all...

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2017, 06:35:20 AM »
Maybe they are working on something sinister.  :suspicious: It is a Catholic university hospital after all...

No it's just God fucking with you because you're an atheist.

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • On The Warpath
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2017, 10:22:30 PM »

No it's just God fucking with you because you're an atheist.

:lol:

Well today I was able to get past the turnstile barricade and into the wealthy, very wealthy Catholic hospital while he wasn't looking. He noticed soon after I got past though, and denied access to what was beyond the first, second and third doors.  ::)   

No one

• Buddies With Uncle Bert
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2017, 10:39:12 PM »
Are we talking god or Gandalf here?

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • On The Warpath
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2017, 10:46:30 PM »
Are we talking god or Gandalf here?

Does it really matter? They look very similar to each other... 

See god's aura? It's actually a googly eye behind his head, which is the little known symbol for the All-Seeing. ;)

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • On The Warpath
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2017, 12:37:28 AM »
I'm thinking someone should really make a game out of this whole deal. Set the game up so that the player randomly gets past the turnstile and doors or not, and see how long it takes for the sucker to realise this and kick the console or PC in frustration.

Nothing really of note happened other than one guy putting laboratory hairnets on his feet and a shoe cover on his head.

Probably head over heels in love with what he's doing.

No one

• Buddies With Uncle Bert
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2017, 12:39:08 AM »
Too much communion wine?

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • On The Warpath
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2017, 12:52:25 AM »
Who knows?  :scratch: