News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

It's Gone Pear Shaped for Time Travel

Started by Davin, September 14, 2017, 04:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-36597142
QuoteMost of the fundamental theories of physics are based on symmetry. That symmetry dictates, among other things, that the nuclei of atoms can be one of just three shapes: spherical, discus or rugby ball.

But Dr Marcus Scheck at UWS and Professor Peter A Butler of the University of Liverpool have discovered a fourth form of nucleus.

It's pear-shaped.

[...]

In other words, a pear-shaped nucleus points to why our Universe contains so much more matter than antimatter.

But that's not all it points to.

Dr Scheck says: "We've found these nuclei literally point towards a direction in space. This relates to a direction in time, proving there's a well-defined direction in time and we will always travel from past to present."

So time travel would appear to be a non-starter.

Cool discovery. I haven't read the white docs. If it pans out, then it would be the answer to a lot of open questions.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Excellent post. Fascinating as symmetry is fundamental to the current models.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.