News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Sudoku

Started by xSilverPhinx, August 21, 2017, 03:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Anyone else hopelessly hooked on this game?  :grin: I don't play nearly as much as I used to but every now and again I can't help seeing and noticing grids all over the place.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

I could never get those finished...
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Arturo

It's not my fault they are impossible.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

;)

The problem of course, is when you make a mistake and only find out when you've almost completed the puzzle. To say that that is "frustrating" is an understatement.

Tank

Done thousands. Even created excel sheets to solve them. Also do the hexadecimal version, 0 to A rather than 0 to 9.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on August 21, 2017, 07:30:17 PM
...Even created excel sheets to solve them...

Ok, you took it to a whole other level, Tank. :grin:

Dave

I'll stick to grid puzzles involving letters/words, thanks. Apart from simple grids, just to pass away time in waiting rooms, sudoku leaves me cold!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

did sudoku for a while, then got hooked on the number/pictogram style puzzles instead.

Dark Lightning

Love it. I get up, and get the paper, read it and then do the Sudoku puzzle...then the Jumble. It's almost to the point where nothing else is going to get done unless I do those first. I did consider using Excel (well, the Oracle open office version) to set up a solver, but got lazy and didn't ever do it.

Biggus Dickus

I have this game on my Nook, and used to play it tons to the point it was disrupting my reading, but haven't played in a while (Same with chess).

I go in spats were I can't put something down to total boredom with games.

By the way I think using an "Excel sheet" = "Cheating",...but hey, I now know never to play poker with Tank ::)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Father Bruno on August 23, 2017, 05:30:17 PM
I have this game on my Nook, and used to play it tons to the point it was disrupting my reading, but haven't played in a while (Same with chess).

I go in spats were I can't put something down to total boredom with games.

By the way I think using an "Excel sheet" = "Cheating",...but hey, I now know never to play poker with Tank ::)

It would be only for verification purposes...I don't cheat, even when the opportunity presented itself in uni.

xSilverPhinx

I only cheated once in middle school, but that was because there was so much at stake. As for whether I regret it, I have mixed feelings.  :-\

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 23, 2017, 11:46:27 PM
I only cheated once in middle school, but that was because there was so much at stake. As for whether I regret it, I have mixed feelings.  :-\

I hope you aren't still kicking yourself for it. We all slip up, once in awhile. I'd say that that may have been a real learning experience that helped to shape you into a better person. I like to think that not being perfect (though I sure as hell try, I never make it there) helps with understanding the human condition in other people.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Fireball on August 23, 2017, 11:57:49 PM
I hope you aren't still kicking yourself for it. We all slip up, once in awhile. I'd say that that may have been a real learning experience that helped to shape you into a better person. I like to think that not being perfect (though I sure as hell try, I never make it there) helps with understanding the human condition in other people.

Every now and then I do remember and feel bad about it. It's a story I would probably tell the young 'uns many years from now. :grin:  Though I don't want to be deemed a bad influence. :P

I was able to get my hands on the maths final beforehand, took it home and got my parents to help me solve what they thought was just some homework. I memorised the steps and the answers to the questions. During the final, all I had to do was write down what I had stored in my head, but careful not to get a perfect score because that would be highly suspicious. :notes: I remember how scared I felt that my parents would find out. I also feel ashamed because my parents saw me as a serious student who would never get into any school-related trouble. 

Nobody knows about this but who ever reads this. :unsure: I feel so exposed now.  :couchhide: