Author Topic: Technology and society - Big Brother or benefit?  (Read 127 times)

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
Technology and society - Big Brother or benefit?
« on: August 18, 2017, 10:27:53 AM »
Sort of links to the Trumpite use of website data to trace dissenters against his regime, but going a step further...

Very interesting, and worrying, broadcast on BBC World Service on face recognition and its growth (especially in China, they, apparently, do not "all look alike" to computers) and what appears to be a certain laxity in regulation in some places - including America.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cstygq

I think there are apps that blind oeople can use on their smartphones to recognise people, that is a more beneficial use and, presumably, needs the person to know their image is being stored. I will not be surprised when head mounted cameras for this sort of purpose become readily available, saves going around holding your smartphone up next to your face!

Linked to this is things like vehicle registration recognition in carparks to automatically admit permitted vehicles, there is at least one carpark uding this in Gloucester - my car is registered with it. But does it monitor and record every vehicle in and out? Do they share those records? Are we allowed to know? There are already recognition systems in use on major roads in the UK and, with solar paneks and mobile phone tech such devices could be mounted almost anywhere. Power and landlines no longer absolutely essential, the ticket machines in above mentioned carpark are solar powered already.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

hermes2015

• Has Actually Read the Bible!
Re: Technology and society - Big Brother or benefit?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 10:39:12 AM »
When they introduced e-tags on our toll roads, there was a big outcry, but I do find it very convenient to just keep driving without having to stop at pay booths on the highways.

Dave

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 08:18:19 AM »
Another aspect of the e-society - influence, particularly political influence.

During the 2016 American presidential campaign it seems the Russians started up thousands, maybe millions, of fake Twitter accounts. These monitored for certain key words and retweeted the carrying tweets amongst themselves. Thus some tweets became very "popular", gaining tens of thousands of retweets very quickly.

However, according to a radio orogramme this also caused the downfall of the system. A group sent tweets containing "bait", combinations of known target keywords. But they included Twitter's own address in their post. Thus the bots sent thousands of retweets, all in the same format, to Twitter who quickly closed those "cloning" accounts down. But there are still thousands, if not millions, of the things out there.

So, if the number of retweets a political tweet gets looks even a tad unlikely the chances are it has been falsely boosted by bots.

Of course, the Russians deny this is anything to do with their government...

So, Twitter fans, beware of being duped, the potential for fraud is very high. I am sure this will get worse before it gets better, if it ever does get better. Trouble is there might be enough dupes out there who accept this stuff as genuine to swing public opinion in poles or even elections. As the e-population increases so does the potential for this sort of propaganda.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/04/03/522503844/how-russian-twitter-bots-pumped-out-fake-news-during-the-2016-election

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/twitter-bot-retweet-campaign/2017/08/07/id/806359/

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2017/08/24/russian_bots_are_sharing_extreme_right_wing_information_on_twitter_after.html

And mire.

Dave

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »
Another strp into sci-fi's oredictions . . .

QR codes are nothing new, appearing on adverts etc to provide you with more info on the product or service. The Chinese are taking it one stage further, police stations manned by QR scanners. 

OK, only for routine stuff like permits, you use the code to enter the station, it uses your data to fill in the forms with your details. Yes, it probably relies on more data bring held in the "cloud", as befits a very regulated nation. But, Chrome already fills in my name and address on online forms, the DVLA has my medical data on record to check whether or not I can simply be issued a driving licence on line or have to do it manually . . . Amazon knows an awful lot about me.

There are schemes for just waving your card or phone at a terminal to pay for stuff so we are at least part of the way towards an ID tattoo/chip on/in the hand. Hmm, not such a good idea, very open to crime. Maybe really nasty crime. Stick with a plastic card or a phone, rather lose than a hand!