News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Puzzle

Started by hermes2015, July 22, 2017, 09:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

This puzzle is sometimes used to test one's approach to problem solving. Some people take an hour, some a week, some can never solve it. When I was tested, I solved it in 7 minutes, so it is obviously not an intelligence test. Here is the puzzle:

What comes next in the following series?

?

Please use spoilers to make it more challenging.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Claireliontamer

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
This one I can do!

Asmodean

Several ways of addressing this one, actually. Mathematically, logically or linguistically. The above seems to be the linguistic approach, yes?

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

hermes2015

Quote from: Asmodean on July 22, 2017, 12:01:32 PM
Several ways of addressing this one, actually. Mathematically, logically or linguistically. The above seems to be the linguistic approach, yes?

Let's first see what the mathematically-gifted members say.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

Come to think of it, I haven't actually tried to do the math meself. as I've seen it done by this weird kid I know. That's the one that takes a week for the normal people though, I assume?

*grab pencil and a notebook*

I shall try to do something I think is beyond my brain power, namely to
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

hermes2015

Quote from: Asmodean on July 22, 2017, 12:12:18 PM
Come to think of it, I haven't actually tried to do the math meself. as I've seen it done by this weird kid I know. That's the one that takes a week for the normal people though, I assume?

*grab pencil and a notebook*

I shall try to do something I think is beyond my brain power, namely to

Yes, this is actually a very revealing test. Those who are straitjacket in left brain mode cannot do it, or take a very long time.
― Charles Eames

Arturo

I gave up. I didn't try hard either haha
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

hermes2015

Quote from: Arturo on July 22, 2017, 05:28:56 PM

A clue for you: use the right side of your brain, not the left.
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

NO! The left-sided The Asmo is still at it and determined to figure out a way.  >:(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Arturo

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 22, 2017, 05:43:09 PM
Quote from: Arturo on July 22, 2017, 05:28:56 PM

A clue for you: use the right side of your brain, not the left.

Hmmm....nope. Got nothin. Think that area of my brain was very neglected as a child.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

I think I am decidedly left sided, brainwise. I said that I could handle numerical progressions and sequences but, on reflection, probably only basic ones - I can cope with Fibonacci!

Anyway, make the following true with a single stroke of the "pen" (not one that negates the equals sign!)

2I50 = I0 I0 I0
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Asmodean on July 22, 2017, 06:06:08 PM
NO! The left-sided The Asmo is still at it and determined to figure out a way.  >:(

I can't wait to see your solution. Will it also give the subsequent terms?
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

I think the idea that people are left or right brained is one of those pervasive myths that makes no sense, unless you have no corpus callosum. Few things, such as language, are hemisphere-specific.

Much like the myth that we only use 10% of our brains (we don't). People believe all sorts of weird things about the brain. :chin:   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 22, 2017, 07:26:47 PM
I think the idea that people are left or right brained is one of those pervasive myths that makes no sense, unless you have no corpus callosum. Few things, such as language, are hemisphere-specific.

Much like the myth that we only use 10% of our brains (we don't). People believe all sorts of weird things about the brain. :chin:

Oh, yes, I am quite aware of what you are saying and agree 100%. I am just using the left-right nomenclature as a convenient label for two different ways of dealing with this kind of problem.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Oops, mis-read a quote there!  :redface:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74