Author Topic: Net Neutrality Is At Risk  (Read 405 times)

Davin

• Guardian of Reason
  • (o°-°)=o o(o*-°)
    • DevPirates
Re: Net Neutrality Is At Risk
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 10:40:50 PM »
Yes the comments should still be visible even if the site crashed correct?
Depends on where and how the comments are stored.

Here's the thing, if they were on the receiving end of a DDoS attack, other people would have seen that traffic pass through their servers on the way to hitting the FCC site. However, by all metrics it looks like all the traffic that hit the FCC were from real people trying to submit legitimate comments.

My argument is, if the comments were still visible, they should have no reason to deny that they read them or they are not doing there job.
Oh, yeah, I thought you meant during the time of the crash. Yes afterward and now they can see the comments, DDoS attacks generally only hurt access to a site or bring the server itself down. The data and the site itself are hardly ever affected.

They're argument though is something like this: because those thousands of pro NN comments might be the result of a DDoS attack, that they shouldn't have to consider them valid.

Basically, that the pro NN supporters are so many people, that the only explanation is that we're not real.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

• Do Something Crazy!
  • Touched by His Noodly Appendage
  • Atheist, Humanist, and Champion
    • You two dig up, dig up dinosaurs?
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 02:39:00 AM »
Yes the comments should still be visible even if the site crashed correct?
Depends on where and how the comments are stored.

Here's the thing, if they were on the receiving end of a DDoS attack, other people would have seen that traffic pass through their servers on the way to hitting the FCC site. However, by all metrics it looks like all the traffic that hit the FCC were from real people trying to submit legitimate comments.

My argument is, if the comments were still visible, they should have no reason to deny that they read them or they are not doing there job.
Oh, yeah, I thought you meant during the time of the crash. Yes afterward and now they can see the comments, DDoS attacks generally only hurt access to a site or bring the server itself down. The data and the site itself are hardly ever affected.

They're argument though is something like this: because those thousands of pro NN comments might be the result of a DDoS attack, that they shouldn't have to consider them valid.

Basically, that the pro NN supporters are so many people, that the only explanation is that we're not real.

That's a very dangerous line of thinking. Especially considering there are so many of us. You can marginalize a small group more effectively than a group as big as 8 million.
But, uh...well there it is.
"Nothing's a struggle, but everything is a challenge"-Anon
Hate Is Weakness

Arturo

• Do Something Crazy!
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 12:01:23 AM »
Does anyone know of a place where I can find out where my Senators stand on Net Neutrality? I live in Michigan in case you forgot.
Hate Is Weakness

jumbojak

• Chandler's Pale Cock Slurper
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
  • The Iconic Iconoclast
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 02:38:44 AM »
Send them an email.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub
" Please hold your high school or college math books in higher esteem than
your copy of the KJV. " - Icarus

Icarus

• The wise one.
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 06:47:12 AM »
Your senators will have offices somewhere in your state. Those offices are usually cooperative enough to tell you where your senator stands on whatever subject is at hand.

Get busy on the internet to find their location and phone number.

Arturo

• Do Something Crazy!
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 11:34:49 PM »
Your senators will have offices somewhere in your state. Those offices are usually cooperative enough to tell you where your senator stands on whatever subject is at hand.

Get busy on the internet to find their location and phone number.

I don't have money to drive all around for that because I'm poor. They have emails and there was a website that showed where everyone stands but I lost the website. If I can get that website, I can find the emails easily.
Hate Is Weakness

Icarus

• The wise one.
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 12:38:08 AM »
Do you know the names of your senators and your representatives?  If you do, then the offices will be listed on the internet along with telephone numbers and e-mail addresses.  No need to leave home to do some investigations. If you do not know their names you can find that information on the internet also.

Go for it.

Arturo

• Do Something Crazy!
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 01:14:14 AM »
No I don't know there names. I don't know where any of them stand either when I look them up. It doesn't say anywhere else except on the one website I've been asking for.
Hate Is Weakness

Arturo

• Do Something Crazy!
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 03:16:45 AM »