News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

London Fire

Started by Claireliontamer, June 15, 2017, 05:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claireliontamer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40272168

I don't know how much coverage this story has got internationally.  Basically, a tower block of apartments set on fire and the whole building went up in flames very very quickly.  There are currently 17 dead but many more missing so the death toll is expected to rise.

There are huge questions being asked about why the building went up in flames so quickly.  Buildings are supposed to be designed with measures that contain any fire in a small area giving people time to get to safety and in fact the safety advice in the block itself told people to remain in their rooms.  There are suggestions that recent renovations including the addition of some new plastic cladding maybe to blame.

It's an awful story for all those involved and I hope the right people get convicted over it, especially if it turns out the letting company cut corners or made poor safety decisions. 

Dave

Seems to be getting some coverage abroad.

This is one of those events that should never have happened. So far it looks increasingly like bad management and poor funding - the national government's heads should be as much on the block as anyone else's here.

It is not the first time, have they got the guts and honesty to make it the last?

They are calling for corporate manslaughter, but that only counts if the regulations were ignored. If the regulations were inadequate that is a whole other ball-game. I await all the excuses and passing of the buck that senior management, corporate or governmental, local and national, in such cases are so good at. The middle and lower ranks will probably carry the can again.

But, like in Manchester, there are some tales of good work, voluntary and professional, as well as the harrowing tales of the dead and injured and, especially, kids waving in windows with fire behind them.

The people may be rehoused but a community is broken, I hope the survivors get the chance to rebuild whatever links are left.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Claireliontamer

Yes, one positive that is coming out of such a tragic event is the way the community has rallied round.  I saw earlier on the news that they were now having to turn donations away as so many people had come forward with clothes, food, toiletries etc and they were having trouble sorting them all. 

Firebird

It's getting coverage in the US as far as I can tell (I'm in Turkey right now but watching US news). Really awful, and the newsletter that the association put out a few months before accusing their landlord of negligence seems pretty damning. Clearly something was done wrong if the fire spread that quickly.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Dave

Quote from: Firebird on June 15, 2017, 07:11:23 PM
It's getting coverage in the US as far as I can tell (I'm in Turkey right now but watching US news). Really awful, and the newsletter that the association put out a few months before accusing their landlord of negligence seems pretty damning. Clearly something was done wrong if the fire spread that quickly.

Yes, there has been considerable coverage of the complaints and vomments of the residents that were, basicsly, thrown out by the company managing the builfing. The local council, the building owners, did not have the resources to "police" the matter adquately. This, in turn, is lblamed on Tory policies that have reduced local council funding and authority. Claims are also being made that these management companies are making huge profits at a risk to the residents' lives.

Many years ago London suffered "Rachmanisn". This was not a similar situation, Rachman and other large landlords squeezed every penny they could out of their tenants then physically abused and evicted them when they could not pay more. This is not a direct parallel but, in terms of greedy people v those just trying to live, I can see some parallels being drawn. Rachmanism rose out of the London Slum Clearances after WW2, when the massive tower blocks were built to accomodate those whose low quality, overcrowded, housing was demolished. Can't remember but, no doubt, the developers made a fat profit then as well. Lots of prime London land up for grabs for a start.

So, like in almost any other large city where the overall government is anti social housing and pro private profit London has the same problems - in sone ways - as towns in Bangladesh, the rural parts of China, some states in South America and, probably, the "projects" and trailer parks of America itself.

Will this disaster cause enough of a wave to effect the billions of pounds worth of changes needed to social and low grade private housing in the whole country? With Brexit looming? Without a political party worthy of government? With arses being covered and cans being dodged at every level?

Just hoping the judge appointed for the public enquirey sf a person of honour, honesty and integrity and is given adequate authority to hold even the highest up to scrutiny. But I'll not hold me breath if the present government appointed him.

Biggus Dickus

It was covered here in the US quite extensively. I think in the beginning there was suspicion it was terror related...the story is horrible. At our yoga class last night our instructor has us sit in silence for a few moments in honor of the victims, such horrendous footage. We were all watching the news before class...

I'm sure there is going to be some heads rolling due to the oversight on this. I just hope it's the people who are actually responsible who take the blame.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

Quote from: Father Bruno on June 15, 2017, 08:37:04 PM
It was covered here in the US quite extensively. I think in the beginning there was suspicion it was terror related...the story is horrible. At our yoga class last night our instructor has us sit in silence for a few moments in honor of the victims, such horrendous footage. We were all watching the news before class...

I'm sure there is going to be some heads rolling due to the oversight on this. I just hope it's the people who are actually responsible who take the blame.
The trouble is that it would appear that there has been nothing illegal done at all. It's just insane building regulations.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Claireliontamer

There are reports that a cheaper cladding was used in place of the fire resistant stuff.  The price difference for the whole building to be glad in the correct stuff would have only been an extra £5000. 

Dave

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 16, 2017, 09:19:34 PM
There are reports that a cheaper cladding was used in place of the fire resistant stuff.  The price difference for the whole building to be glad in the correct stuff would have only been an extra £5000.

Yes, and the only vomments reported from the company was, "We do not recognise that figure."

So, was it £1000 or £10 000 or what? But that still sounds a tacit admittsnce that saving a few quid out of millions was the reason for endangering all those people. Still, money saved might nean extra profits or bonuses . . .

Now, if the same standards were employed elsewhere who will end up paying for the job to be re-done propetly I wonder? I am guesding that cladding was put on with a bolt-gun, not Rawl plugs and screws - removal may be destructive.

Ecurb Noselrub

In 2017 there is no excuse for a high rise like that going up in flames.  Shoddy building, and the city code inspectors (or whatever they are called in London) really failed if they let the building be built without adequate safeguards, such as water sprinklers.  Surely oversight has improved since 1666.

Ali

I was aware of it. On a side note, now whenever something happens in London I get itchy that someone has up and killed Siz before he had a chance to repent. ;) Anyway, it's a terrible tragedy and it seems one that could have been prevented.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Ali on June 17, 2017, 02:21:34 AM
I was aware of it. On a side note, now whenever something happens in London I get itchy that someone has up and killed Siz before he had a chance to repent. ;) Anyway, it's a terrible tragedy and it seems one that could have been prevented.

Hi, Ali, long time no see.  Glad you are still around.

Ali

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 17, 2017, 02:41:54 AM
Quote from: Ali on June 17, 2017, 02:21:34 AM

Hi, Ali, long time no see.  Glad you are still around.
Good to see you too! It's nice to check in with my old peeps.

Claireliontamer

A picture of the dogs who are helping out with their special heat proof boots.

Dave

The tempers are getting more frayed by the day on this but it is going to take a while before any resk investigation can be carried out and blame apportioned.

Meanwhile crowd funding and other sources are raising increduble amounts, one oerson raied over a million on her ow. But, as tgey gave said, it heeds experienced people to control such funds or it can get lost in admin etc. At least, this time, most of the banks and insurance companies have got their arses in gear and, hopefully, are being helpful rather than obstructive and beaurocratic.  One insurance agency had "fast response vehicles" on site today.

These are people in the lower incone bracket, if at all, who have lost everything, including credit and debit cards, driving licences, passports, immigration documents and much more besides. They needed help two days ago, not next week.

Even the editor of the Spectator, centre right wing, volunteered that Theresa May is on very insecure ground after not speaking to the victims on her first visit. That she is wary of "unscripted discussion with members if the public on camera" just reinforces that she is not suitable for the job to me, let alone the other stuff.

Can't see her lasting the year out but the alternative? Shudder. We need one of those "governnent of national unity" things that include all parties - not that they work in most places.