News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Human induced evolutionary change as we watch?

Started by Dave, June 12, 2017, 09:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Looking at tbe Blackcap, a common garden bird, well it is now in British cities. It used to overwinter in warmer climes but climate change and urban warming have encouraged it to migrate to our usually less than sunny winters. Where it gets fed in gardens.

According to a radio article these birds are developing shorter wings (since they do not need longer ones for longer flights) and longer beaks. Since they get back to their European breeding grounds before their further flung mates these changes are being reinforced in a small population. The chap on the radio said this was the start of speciation.

And it has all happened within my lifetime!

https://www.bto.org/science/latest-research/garden-bird-feeding-and-changing-climate-are-driving-evolutionary-change-bla
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

MariaEvri

God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Dave

Also seems that song pitch changes in urban environments, to counter deep traffic noise, are not unusual.

The Anthropocene has struck.

Dave

Quote from: MariaEvri on June 12, 2017, 07:22:37 PM
another city bird article,. this time swallows evolving short wings

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/shorter-winged-swallows-evolve-around-highways

Just wondering if there has been any change in how high insects fly. I have not seen a swallow, swift or martin cruising on high for many years. Perhaps they have to come lower and need more maneuverability? Come to think of it have not seen the swarms of flies over the stream behind my house for years now, used to be almost like a mist some evenings.

Seeing more bees though, I like that.