News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Did Jesus Rise from the Dead? Why or Why not?

Started by manga, April 17, 2017, 04:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manga

I am extremely curious to know everyone's opinion. I found an article which states 7 reasons to believe. Of course, the bible was written long ago, it is not clear that it occurred, or that all these witnesses were actually there. I found an article which tries to prove it. What do you guys think? (I am not saying it happened, and I am not saying I believe it, I just want to hear all opinions for fun)

PROOF OF THE RESURRECTION #1: THE EMPTY TOMB OF JESUS

PROOF OF THE RESURRECTION #2: THE HOLY WOMEN EYEWITNESSES

PROOF OF THE RESURRECTION #3: JESUS' APOSTLES' NEW-FOUND COURAGE

PROOF OF THE RESURRECTION #4: CHANGED LIVES OF JAMES AND OTHERS

PROOF OF THE RESURRECTION #5: LARGE CROWD OF EYEWITNESSES

PROOF OF THE RESURRECTION #6: CONVERSION OF PAUL

PROOF OF THE RESURRECTION #7: THEY DIED FOR JESUS

Link to full article: https://www.thoughtco.com/proofs-of-the-resurrection-700603

Did Jesus possibly rise from the dead? Why/why not, based on all the evidence we have.

-~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~-

Manga, please read the forum rules, especially the following part:

QuoteCOPYRIGHTED CONTENT--QUOTE/SUMMARIZE, AND LINK: Please do not post entire contents of articles or posts from other sites, as this may run afoul of copyright laws. Quote a relevant section and summarize the rest if you wish, and always post a link to the original.

Added by xSilverPhinx

Arturo

Did Jesus even die the way we think? The Bible was compiled and had things thrown out by who knows. And then it was translated by people who didn't know what they were doing. You can tell because it makes no sense. Another example could be, have you ever seen things translated into English from Asian countries? It doesn't make much sense either. I've seen people try to speak Spanish and it was wrong on levels I can't comprehend. I'm not a fluent Spanish speaker myself but I know a little bit about syntax and that "chinga tu madre" means something different than what Google translate says
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on April 17, 2017, 04:28:55 AM
... I'm not a fluent Spanish speaker myself but I know a little bit about syntax and that "chinga tu madre" means something different than what Google translate says
What is, "chinga tu madre," according to Google translate?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tom62

I'm not sure that a historical Jesus even existed. Jesus seems to be composed of at least 3 different historical people (which could explain why his time-line is so screwed up) mixed with +/- 50-75% myths. For example: miraculous births and resurrection are nothing new in mythology and religion.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tom62 on April 17, 2017, 05:06:13 AM
I'm not sure that a historical Jesus even existed. Jesus seems to be composed of at least 3 different historical people (which could explain why his time-line is so screwed up) mixed with +/- 50-75% myths. For example: miraculous births and resurrection are nothing new in mythology and religion.

Yes, I'd like to see evidence for this first.  As far as I can tell, Jesus' existence is on par with Robin Hood's.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 17, 2017, 05:27:50 AM
Quote from: Tom62 on April 17, 2017, 05:06:13 AM

Yes, I'd like to see evidence for this first.  As far as I can tell, Jesus' existence is on par with Robin Hood's.

Jesus was "created" and/or "procreated" in a weird way.  :shifty:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Jesus rose again from the dead.... That's just weird.  >:(
The whole story is weird from beginning to end...and after three days, it got weird again.   :-\

It's still weird.  :-\

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

OK. I think I just earned front row tickets to hell.  :-[ Totally forgot today is Easter.  :picard facepalm:

hermes2015

I have voiced my suspicions before about manga's "fears" and "questions" to get opinions "just for fun". Well , my opinion is still that he has a hidden agenda. He is preaching and he believes that he is very clever to come here and preach surreptitiously to us atheists by asking all these one-sided fake questions. His motive is to plant seeds of doubt by presenting a string of so-called proofs that he pretends to be neutral about. I think he is a believer and nothing we say will have the slightest effect on his beliefs.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on April 17, 2017, 04:46:33 AM
... I'm not a fluent Spanish speaker myself but I know a little bit about syntax and that "chinga tu madre" means something different than what Google translate says

Go bother your mother
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 17, 2017, 06:04:22 AM
I have voiced my suspicions before about manga's "fears" and "questions" to get opinions "just for fun". Well , my opinion is still that he has a hidden agenda. He is preaching and he believes that he is very clever to come here and preach surreptitiously to us atheists by asking all these one-sided fake questions. His motive is to plant seeds of doubt by presenting a string of so-called proofs that he pretends to be neutral about. I think he is a believer and nothing we say will have the slightest effect on his beliefs.
I totally agree with you.
I'm sure most of us can see this.
Planting seeds of doubt :chin:?   
I highly doubt it's working.  :smileshake:

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on April 17, 2017, 06:09:05 AM

Go bother your mother
"bother"  :mb lol:

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on April 17, 2017, 06:16:16 AM
Quote from: Arturo on April 17, 2017, 06:09:05 AM

Go bother your mother
"bother"  :mb lol:

I just checked. Apparently it says something different now but when I looked before it was go bother your mother
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

"Did Jesus possibly rise from the dead? Why/why not, based on all the evidence we have."
What evidence? All that was presented was hear-say and speculation.
Present your evidence please.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Chances are there was a charasmatic bloke around at that time and gullible people followed him. But, some of the followers had business brains . . .

It was in the interest of those followers to inflate their guru's image with stories pinched from common stories - they could make a living out of it. Human gullibility is a powerful, yet powerless, force!

JC has been an industry ever since.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Gloucester on April 17, 2017, 11:37:42 AM
Chances are there was a charasmatic bloke around at that time and gullible people followed him. But, some of ghe followers had budiness brsins . . .