News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Pope suggests it's better to be an atheist than a greedy Christian.

Started by Biggus Dickus, February 23, 2017, 04:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 24, 2017, 03:54:49 PM
Came close to that at Heathrow. Picking someone up. There were about 300 Ultra Orthidox Jews milling about in Terminal 2. Then some kind of Mega Rabi arruved and the Jews all rushed towards him singing. It was terrifying and someone in security had obviously fouled up big time. They took no heed of the other waiters and passengers - it was a black tsunami of long overcoats, bowler hats, beards and hair curls!  :shocked:

That does sound scary!  :panic:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Just so you know, the black tsunami has a weakness. It's pork.

Dave

Quote from: No one on September 24, 2017, 06:28:16 PM
Just so you know, the black tsunami has a weakness. It's pork.

Yeah, should have bought a bacon bagel in the snack bar as a shield!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

Recusant

I'm pretty sure you'd lose that bet. Metadata supports the identity of SisterAgatha as a genuine new account, based in the US. I cannot say whether that account was in fact created by a sister who's a schoolteacher, but there's nothing to suggest that it's a sockpuppet account.

ETA: I understand the suspicion, given the long history of trolls and yes sockpuppets we've entertained here at HAF, but generally I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt to new members. No harm is done thereby (except perhaps the risk of being taken in, which doesn't bother me) and it avoids alienating somebody who might become a genuine member of the site.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on September 25, 2017, 04:53:08 PM
I'm pretty sure you'd lose that bet. Metadata supports the identity of SisterAgatha as a genuine new account, based in the US. I cannot say whether that account was in fact created by a sister who's a schoolteacher, but there's nothing to suggest that it's a sockpuppet account.

ETA: I understand the suspicion, given the long history of trolls and yes sockpuppets we've entertained here at HAF, but generally I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt to new members. No harm is done thereby (except perhaps the risk of being taken in, which doesn't bother me) and it avoids alienating somebody who might become a genuine member of the site.

:this:

Icarus

:this: :this:

We do not have anything like a representative number of Christians here.  Let us hope that Agatha is a for real person with whom we can exchange bits of wisdom......if not Socratic wisdom then at least rational dialogue.

Magdalena

^^
Rational dialogue.
That might be a little bit difficult with me around. She had an actual conversation with Jesus today, about me, and shared it with me/us.  :-\
I will try to behave, but I'm not promising anything.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

How does one engage in rational dialogue with another who is not thinking rationally? I wouldn't even try as it is a fruitless endeavour.

As for the conversations with imaginary friends who think very much like the person imagining them, I wouldn't think too much of it. Some people it seems like to give a 'divine' colouring to their own inner thoughts and if such delusions give meaning to their lives, make them feel less lonely and more loved then I can't help feeling sad for them. So wrapped up in their own little worlds and can't look beyond their own bellybuttons to the misery that plagues the world. God is in a child's finger painting? WTF? What about the dead child in a war zone being held by a parent, desperate in their grief? What about all the little fingers dripping with blood?

As if you need to be a believer to feel love and loved.  ::) It's all in the brain, and it's not like god is some neurotransmitter or hormone acting on our neurons.

As if you need to be a believer to be a decent individual. If anything, a compassionate atheist is less selfish than a believer who does the things they do to win cookie points and an afterlife glorifying a god, who had he been human, would have been murdered and labeled a psychopathic tyrant.

Stop freaking singing along to 'kumbaya', praying to something that either doesn't exist or doesn't care and see the indoctrination for what it is!

Well, there's my rant. I have a particular aversion to the Catholic Church.

Dave

Silver ssid:
QuoteHow does one engage in rational dialogue with another who is not thinking rationally?

This is indeed true but, even if the responses are bereft of rational content, it can give one an opportunity to "sharpen" one's own arguments, perhaps the equivalent of a religious person re-affirming their faith. Though my "lack of faith" has not wavered in my memory.

Icarus

I believe that it is entirely possible to have an intelligent conversation with a religious person.....As long as we are not talking about religion and it's demands.  We do have a whole bunch of stimulating threads that are not at all tainted with religious  pronouncements or rebuttals.  For example: Agatha could tell us about dietary things in the monastery or wherever, lots of other things for us to learn or at least discuss.

Damnmit folks, Julie Andrews was a nun and I loved her in that role....or any other role, actually.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on September 28, 2017, 05:56:03 AM
I believe that it is entirely possible to have an intelligent conversation with a religious person.....As long as we are not talking about religion and it's demands.  We do have a whole bunch of stimulating threads that are not at all tainted with religious  pronouncements or rebuttals.  For example: Agatha could tell us about dietary things in the monastery or wherever, lots of other things for us to learn or at least discuss.

Damnmit folks, Julie Andrews was a nun and I loved her in that role....or any other role, actually.

Very true, very true, Icarus! I think it is even possible to exchange and compare views on tge nature of religion, its history etc, with the more reflective religious person. You may never come to an agreement but mutual respect is possible. But usually it does become a head butting exchange where no-one wins. Despite my better judgement I all too often allow myself to get caught up in these - especially when the opening ploy is domething like, "I feel sorry for you poor benighted people and really do want to understand how you got to your sorry state."

Both sides tend to be arrogant and condescending I agree but, somehow, there often seems to be a thoughtlessness in this with some religious people. Maybe it is the humanist in me. Anyone can say, "I am an atheist," for sincere and insincere reasons, even simple laziness. Honestly declaring oneself as a humanist requires consciously accepting a set of concepts - leading it to be described as a "pseudo-religion" by some. I think "belief system" is more accurate.

I should add that many atheists do follow those basic rules but seem prefer not to be thought of as humanists - there are no firm bounderies. Anti-theists are, of course, are a different matter - towards the fundamentslist end of the spectrum?

xSilverPhinx

It is possible to have an intelligent conversation with a religious person, but when that person comes here and expresses how she thinks atheists are a sad lot because we don't believe, among other things, then things get tricky. Only a saint would have the patience to deal with that... :devil:

Biggus Dickus

Did you see her in "S.O.B."?

Most of my adolescent fantasy's came true in that movie, a Blake Edwards classic...great cast.

Here's the original trailer.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Sandra Craft

I prefer my nuns to be Deborah Kerr.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany