News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Weird things Norwegians do

Started by xSilverPhinx, January 10, 2017, 01:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Weird things Norwegians do.

Quote1. You are telling a great story to your Norwegian friend/colleague. He or she will start making strange sounds: aspirations with the mouth as if they have the beginning of asthma. No panic, this just illustrate how interested they are in your story, and it means "yes, I agree, carry on with your story". Nothing to be disturbed about.

:scratch:  Is this true? :lol:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

What's the deal with Norwegian Wood?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Gloucester on January 10, 2017, 03:19:39 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on January 10, 2017, 03:00:38 PM
What's the deal with Norwegian Wood?

$100 a metric tonne, wholesale?

Oh, I thought it had something to do with bladder pressure first thing in the morning.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

No one

Anyone that isn't me, does weird things.

Guardian85

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 10, 2017, 01:56:27 PM

Quote1. You are telling a great story to your Norwegian friend/colleague. He or she will start making strange sounds: aspirations with the mouth as if they have the beginning of asthma. No panic, this just illustrate how interested they are in your story, and it means "yes, I agree, carry on with your story". Nothing to be disturbed about.

Not as far as I know.

The rest is pretty accurate for the average Norwegian.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

OldGit

One seriously nutty thing Norway has done - they have begun turning off their FM radio service and are going over to digital only.

Dave

Quote from: OldGit on January 11, 2017, 09:55:49 AM
One seriously nutty thing Norway has done - they have begun turning off their FM radio service and are going over to digital only.
I will have to buy a new car if they do that here!  ;)

I still remember the BBC Home Service. Oh and Radio Luxemburg.

Asmodean

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 10, 2017, 10:43:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 10, 2017, 01:56:27 PM

Not as far as I know.

A gasp is a gasp is a gasp is what I think is being described here. It's used for various purposes in many cultures, mostly to show shock and/or surprise.

In general, the weird things done by Norwegians, are also practiced by Swedes, Danes, Germans and many others.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Bad Penny II

They, those Norwegians, they extract a good deal from oil companies and put away the windfall gains for a later day.
It's just not natural.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Asmodean

No, it is not. And some do try to increase spending on stuff like more lanes on the local expressway for The Asmo, but them silly green politicians want everybody to walk around with legs. Do they not realise that The Asmo may again need to kidnap a small child for body parts if that catches on? DO THEY NOT, really?!  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Not as far as I know.

Quote from: Asmodean on January 11, 2017, 12:02:46 PM
A gasp is a gasp is a gasp is what I think is being described here. It's used for various purposes in many cultures, mostly to show shock and/or surprise.

In general, the weird things done by Norwegians, are also practiced by Swedes, Danes, Germans and many others.

Yeah, I was curious. Around here people gasp when shocked or surprised, but I've never heard of any culture gulping in air when they find the conversation interesting. 

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 11, 2017, 04:23:52 PM
Not as far as I know.

Yeah, I was curious. Around here people gasp when shocked or surprised, but I've never heard of any culture gulping in air when they find the conversation interesting.

Can't remember my psychological jargon now but cannot the gasp be a signal of interest and to "keep going" with the story. The wide-eyed gasp can seem a sign of amusrment, mouth shape close to a grin/smile? Head forward (amused shock) or back (surprised shock) gives extra nuance.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on January 11, 2017, 04:41:19 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 11, 2017, 04:23:52 PM
Not as far as I know.

Can't remember my psychological jargon now but cannot the gasp be a signal of interest and to "keep going" with the story. The wide-eyed gasp can seem a sign of amusrment, mouth shape close to a grin/smile? Head forward (amused shock) or back (surprised shock) gives extra nuance.

Yeah, I think some people might gasp to convey that meaning. I don't run into that type of person too often though.

(I guess my stories aren't that amusing  :folded: )

:P