News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinion

Started by Pasta Chick, December 21, 2016, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Of course, the fielding players are critical for the defending side. These include such ss "Silly Mid On" and "Silly Mid Off", plus "Silly Slips" on each side.

The "silly" bit refers to the mental state of any person willing to risk getting in the way of a solid 155.9g missile, covered in hard leather, doing 160kph off the bat - just a few metres away.

Cricketters also bowl a maiden over at some point in their career.  Others go out for a duck.

Madness!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bluenose

And if a batsman is out first ball, it's a golden duck,  plus if he goes out for a duck on both innings of a test match, it's a pair.  A reaĺy quick test match can be over in three days, or go on for five without a result.  Oh, and always remember cricket does not have rules, it has laws.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dragonia

I feel like I'm reading Greek...... :o
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dragonia on November 29, 2017, 09:04:29 PM

Oooh!  :hey: I will explain it to you! From what I've learnt from the Bluenose theoretical cricket course you have some men who hit a ball with a stick and some who throw balls at men with sticks. There is also some running with sticks between sticks involved.    :smilenod:

:P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Cricket rules: International hilarity is alive and well here on HAF.  What's not to like about this place?

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 29, 2017, 10:48:10 PM
Quote from: Dragonia on November 29, 2017, 09:04:29 PM

Oooh!  :hey: I will explain it to you! From what I've learnt from the Bluenose theoretical cricket course you have some men who hit a ball with a stick and some who throw balls at men with sticks. There is also some running with sticks between sticks involved.    :smilenod:

:P

Brilliant, Silver, defined in a nutshell!

:thumbsup:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Cricket.
It's a sport, physical activity is good for you, ye ye the usual qualifications.

Just watching though?
but it's stories of striving
striving to no real effect
but you used to listen and watch.
But it was a proper story then....

It's the 1980s and...
The long form of cricket is allotted five days to complete and you can listen to the radio because a test (country V country) match must be transmitted.

The West Indies, the Windies isn't a country but for cricket they join.  In the 80s they  had an unbeatable cricket team.  There were awesome characters, Viv Richards and too many too fast bowlers, and Clive.

We lost and lost but I listened to the genteel radio coverage.
Things turned around and we won and we won and there's stories in that, not good enough for the team Steve W.

I don't know whose in the team now, I don't listen anymore.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Biggus Dickus

The " I Want a Hippopotamus For Christmas" song...ugh:(
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

Cricket is a WTF kind of game that we Yanks view as weird.  Croquet is also a British Colonial game whose rules no one understands.

xSilverPhinx

I don't think Michael Jackson was all that. Sure he could moonwalk, but so what? Listening to his songs would do nothing but bring tears of boredom to my eyes. 

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 31, 2018, 06:56:35 PM
I don't think Michael Jackson was all that. Sure he could moonwalk, but so what? Listening to his songs would do nothing but bring tears of boredom to my eyes.

I was anti MJ back then, looking back though I concede he was a Talent, I just didn't like what he was doing.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on March 31, 2018, 07:11:27 PM

I was anti MJ back then, looking back though I concede he was a Talent, I just didn't like what he was doing.

I feel the same way about the Beatles' music. I don't like it, though I recognise they revolutonised the art. Don't know if the same thing could be said for MJ though... :notsure: I don't know.

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 31, 2018, 07:25:20 PM

I feel the same way about the Beatles' music. I don't like it, though I recognise they revolutonised the art. Don't know if the same thing could be said for MJ though... :notsure: I don't know.

I agree with both of you. At school we had two camps: Beatles and Rolling Stones fans. I was in the Stones club.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 01, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

I agree with both of you. At school we had two camps: Beatles and Rolling Stones fans. I was in the Stones club.

I've heard of the Stones/Beatles divide, I was born when they were founding so I was too young to be caught up in it.
Douglas Adams talks about it, he was a Beatles guy and he reminisces, Stones fans were considered knuckle draggers.
It's all pretty stupid really, choosing one of the two best at the exclusion of the other.  In group out group more important than music obviously.  You'd have to include Lennon and McCartney as knuckle draggers.  There's "The Stones In The Park" concert, McCartney is watching.
Then there is this

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 01, 2018, 10:09:12 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 01, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

I've heard of the Stones/Beatles divide, I was born when they were founding so I was too young to be caught up in it.
Douglas Adams talks about it, he was a Beatles guy and he reminisces, Stones fans were considered knuckle draggers.
It's all pretty stupid really, choosing one of the two best at the exclusion of the other.  In group out group more important than music obviously.  You'd have to include Lennon and McCartney as knuckle draggers.  There's "The Stones In The Park" concert, McCartney is watching.
Then there is this

Imagine being there!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames