News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Science Fiction Artwork

Started by Kekerusey, September 28, 2016, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kekerusey

OK,

So, as you may be aware, I have more-or-less finished writing my first book, a future alternate history.

Long story short, I have been liaising indirectly (through my oldest daughter) with a young artist but have been unable to get much more than a couple of samples when what I really want is a quote and an ETA.

There are a number of sites out there that purport to offer free images but then ask for money when you get to download them so, my question is, does anyone know any good websites that offers truly free science fiction artwork? Bear in mind this "free" requirement is not because I am being miserly, it's simply because I have no idea how successful my book will be i.e. paying out £100 for cover art when I make only £50 profit is obviously a bad move and, whilst I would happily promote that artist's work both in my book and on my website I really can't afford to pay much out for it in the first instance. I mean sure, if it turns out I'm a naturally gifted writer then great but I'm also a realist, I read a lot of books and I'm fairly confident I'm not that good. Modern science fiction writers, whilst arguably better than the pulp writers of old, make more from writing many books in relatively few universes than they do from writing the fabled bestseller ... I only have the one book so far.

So yeah, any idea where I can get some half decent science fiction art that is free?

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Davin

Have you tried looking for CC sci-fi art?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cc+sci-fi+art

There are a few types of the creative commons license, so make sure to check the license and possibly even send a message to the artist to confirm. Otherwise, you'd have to be specific about what you want.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

joeactor

You could use the Pulp-O-Mizer: http://thrilling-tales.webomator.com/derange-o-lab/pulp-o-mizer/pulp-o-mizer.html

But, seriously, I'd suggest finding a good artist whose are is in the style you like, and paying them to make you something custom, or pay them for the rights to one you like that's already out there.

Lots of low-rate and low-quality stuff out there. If it's something you're investing in as a business, make the investment.

Off soapbox,
JoeActor

Dave

I have been wondering who does the artwork for e-books on Amazon.

Even newbie authors, whose nooks maybe less than a quid, often seem to have "ecovers". They only seem to be used in the Amazon ads.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Kekerusey

Thx All,

Quote from: joeactor on September 28, 2016, 09:09:25 PMYou could use the Pulp-O-Mizer: http://thrilling-tales.webomator.com/derange-o-lab/pulp-o-mizer/pulp-o-mizer.html

Actually that's not so bad an idea ... I'm looking around for other online or downloadable cover generators but even the one you likned to has potential assuming I can customise it enough. It's alos good for mugs and t-shirts ... I mean seriously, if I went to a convention to sell hardcopies of my book it would be very cool to wear a customised retro t-shirt, even sell the odd mug though I doubt that would be profitable :)

Quote from: joeactor on September 28, 2016, 09:09:25 PMBut, seriously, I'd suggest finding a good artist whose are is in the style you like, and paying them to make you something custom, or pay them for the rights to one you like that's already out there.

Lots of low-rate and low-quality stuff out there. If it's something you're investing in as a business, make the investment.

I uderstand but I am currently redundant and completely new to this so the reality comes down to money.

Keke

joeactor

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 29, 2016, 07:57:26 AM
Thx All,

Quote from: joeactor on September 28, 2016, 09:09:25 PMYou could use the Pulp-O-Mizer: http://thrilling-tales.webomator.com/derange-o-lab/pulp-o-mizer/pulp-o-mizer.html

Actually that's not so bad an idea ... I'm looking around for other online or downloadable cover generators but even the one you likned to has potential assuming I can customise it enough. It's alos good for mugs and t-shirts ... I mean seriously, if I went to a convention to sell hardcopies of my book it would be very cool to wear a customised retro t-shirt, even sell the odd mug though I doubt that would be profitable :)

Great - there's quite a bit of customization possible, and I think they have some low-cost options to purchase high-res versions too.

Good luck!

(writing a short story on the side myself)

Kekerusey

Quote from: joeactor on September 29, 2016, 04:20:22 PMGreat - there's quite a bit of customization possible, and I think they have some low-cost options to purchase high-res versions too.

Good luck!

Thx ... what's your story about?

Keke

joeactor

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 29, 2016, 08:41:44 PM
Quote from: joeactor on September 29, 2016, 04:20:22 PMGreat - there's quite a bit of customization possible, and I think they have some low-cost options to purchase high-res versions too.

Good luck!

Thx ... what's your story about?

Keke

Noir-ish style short story about a serial killer in the midwest...
Idea complete, outline and writing commencing.

It'll be my first short story, other than poetry and children's stories ;-)

Kekerusey

Quote from: joeactor on September 30, 2016, 01:27:22 AMNoir-ish style short story about a serial killer in the midwest...
Idea complete, outline and writing commencing.

It'll be my first short story, other than poetry and children's stories ;-)

My normal genre is science fiction but I've been read a lot more political, investigative and general thrillers recently in an attempt to widen my reading experience so I can improve my writing style.

You've probably got it covered but if you need a reviewer ...

Keke