News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Things I'm Doing Before Going to Hell

Started by Sandra Craft, September 07, 2016, 08:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

More from one of my favorite Xtian bloggers:  Things I'm Doing Before Going to Hell.

John Pavlovitz is a progressive, liberal Xtian -- the kind that conservative Xtians often swear don't exist, or at least are not real Xtians.  I know we're rather light on theist members of any kind right now, but I was wondering what some of them would think of this.

For atheist readers, if Xtianity in general were more like this would it change your opinion of the religion, even if the bible itself was unchanged?  (I'm still debating that one in my head)
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

There have always been good Christians. I question whether it's their religion that makes them so. Pretty much everything Pavlovitz says has long been propounded as ideals of Christianity (along with many things he doesn't say). Your "if" is a big one, and given that I have doubts whether the commendable ideals of Christianity actually help people to be better, I also doubt that my opinion of Christianity and Christians would change much if they focussed more on those ideals.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany