News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

How do Christians sleep at night knowing their God is a complete monster?

Started by MatureMcLeod, August 03, 2016, 08:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on August 04, 2016, 04:26:06 PM
Hmm, I guess they'd have to take the scissors to a lot of Paul's scribblings as well.

I always do.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Davin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 04, 2016, 08:27:38 PM
Davin, the entire reason that Jesus instituted a new covenant was to show that the old covenant no longer applied.
That is something people say to support ignoring the old law, but Jesus never says that is the reason he did it. In fact, he said that he has not come to abolish the law.

Quote from: Ecurb NoselrubThat is the clear implication of a new covenant.
Oh come on, that ridiculous, just because there is a new covenant, doesn't necessarily mean that old ones are no longer valid. That would have meant that only the last commandment counted because it is the newest and therefor the older ones no longer apply. You're going to need something more convincing than there being a new thing therefor ignore everything older than it.

Quote from: Ecurb NoselrubHe fulfilled the OT according to his interpretation of it.
How did he fulfill all the old laws? How did he fulfill each and every one?

Quote from: Ecurb NoselrubOnce the new covenant was instituted at the Last Supper, it meant the end of the old.  That's the whole point of Hebrews - we have a new covenant, a new high priest, etc.  You miss the forest for the trees with your hyper-literal interpretation.  You miss the context of the entire new testament, not to mention the meaning of the new covenant.
Jesus tried his best to make sure that people would know that the old laws still apply. He did so well in this point that no matter which translation you read from, it looks like he tried to make it super simple... and yet, here you are and here many other people are trying to retcon what Jesus said to meaning something other than what he said. It's really impressive all that twisting and mental gymnastics.

The thing I don't get though, is that if something this clear can be twisted so much, then I can't see how anyone can anything about what was meant in the bible.

Quote from: Ecurb NoselrubI know that this will lead to another endless conversation.  I knew when I started that it would end like this, but I decided to give it a try, anyway.  I should have listened to my better judgment.  I'll politely withdraw now.  You did not convince me, and I did not convince you.  Now you get to claim victory and tell everyone that I quit.  Good day.
:lol:
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Old Seer

The bible is a record of the history of good and evil, just as any other historical document. Good and evil came about automatically when evolution created a being that could comprehend the pains and pleasures that they lived within. Good is what is helpful and evil is what is harmful. History is a record of the phenomenon. What concerned the writers of the book is the good and evil perpetrated upon one another.
OK, apologies for the preaching but lets put this in biblical context of a different interpretation. The book ( this will be hard to understand for you I know) covers this phenomenon where it refers to---the tree of knowledge of good and evil. (some interpret as right and wrong but r & w do not apply in this case)
Consider-- (this is from the psycho Smurfs) There cannot be any good and evil without a "being" to comprehend or weight the effects of G & E, because the universe cannot be G & E to itself because it has no intelligence, until evolution creates the cogitative being. 
So what is the  Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.  This concerns the time of the Adamites who were natural persons and were no participants in civilization, where under one is subject to authority. (See Blacks Law Dictionary --- artificial person) Civilizations create the people they  rule by removing them from being natural to what ever the authorities dictate they want them to be.  The persons they rule are no longer living under natural G & E, because the authorities dictate/decide what good and evil is according to how they want to remain superior to the masses they are over. So, The tree of the knowledge of G & E is Civilization.
This was instituted by Nimrod, Quote from the book--as it has been said, as Nimrod a mighty hunter before the lord. What this means is- the people recognize that they have become like nimrod, the predator, who takes them from natural to his idea of what a person should be in accordance with his mandates--just as today, when politician decide what is good for their followers as the polititian see that they should be.
From civilized and onward the people become subject to what the government construes as G & E. Governments normally deal with right and wrong. But  universal law does not create right and wrong because it cannot be right or wrong, and the universe can only be what it is. Only "a cognitive being" can create right and wrong from preferences to control the masses that follow government. That's to say, you are not you as nature created you. You are what the social mandates create, decided before you were born.
The tree of the knowledge of G & E is the same as Nimrod instituting civil government in his time, for peoples who weren't under civil authority previous.
All it amounts to is, instead of living under the G & E what naturally happens in the universe, one then becomes under the G & E as dictated by government in a social environment--and of course universal G & E still applies as can be seen that the planet still has earth quakes. So now, instead of putting up with just natural G&E we now have to put up with more G & E as mandates  by government. The problem is, government creates more good then evil.
Bear in mind here, people don't war against people---People war against governments and governments war against governments, ---you're the fall guy. Smart eh.

The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

No one

Creatures that are not capable of their own thoughts, have a mind so clear, it's empty. Slumber comes easy for the sheep.

OldGit

Seems to me MMc should look more at how certain old writings were included in the canon of "God's words" and others were not.