News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Looking for the Next Thing

Started by VedereD, July 21, 2016, 12:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VedereD

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 21, 2016, 06:45:14 AM
Quote from: VedereD on July 21, 2016, 03:15:08 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 21, 2016, 02:47:19 AM
I live in Central Texas (Belton, south of Waco).  What city do you live in?  Near Big Bend?

Near the Panhandle close to Lubbock.

The Llano Estacado.  My family had friends in Morton and we used to visit there when I was a kid.

Ah!  My family is from the Pep area.  I've been through Morton a time or two.

VedereD

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 21, 2016, 12:39:29 PM
Hello and welcome to HAF, VedereD!

I wish I could help you but I've never had a real career much less worried abut switching. I have one question though, do you have other job offers on the horizon or are you going to start hunting one?

Hahaha, perhaps I should adopt this outlook myself.  Mostly I've worked in education, but lately I've started wondering if I should try something else.  I'm just not sure.

I do not have other job offers.  I've looked off and on for a few years now, but I'm not sure I'm going about it the right way. I've always been told to network, and I've made an effort at that, but it doesn't seem to go very far.  I may just be bad at it, lol. 

I'm sure I'll figure something out.  In the mean time, it'll be nice to meet some new folks online. 

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: VedereD on July 22, 2016, 04:17:27 AMHahaha, perhaps I should adopt this outlook myself.  Mostly I've worked in education, but lately I've started wondering if I should try something else.  I'm just not sure.

I do not have other job offers.  I've looked off and on for a few years now, but I'm not sure I'm going about it the right way. I've always been told to network, and I've made an effort at that, but it doesn't seem to go very far.  I may just be bad at it, lol.

It can be more difficult for introverted people to network, but not impossible. I consider myself introverted as well but I just "put on a wooden face" (act shamelessly) as we say in Brazil and go for it. Tell people that you're looking for a new job, sometimes people know somebody who can make something happen.   

QuoteI'm sure I'll figure something out.

:thumbsup:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

VedereD

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 21, 2016, 01:19:20 PM
Yay! another new person
My prayers have come true

Hello new person

Hahahaha. 

Icarus

Why even participate in a conversation about any religious subject?  When asked if you know Jesus you can simply fail to respond and answer the question with another question such as......Have you been miserable because of the current heat wave?  or some other subject that is far from anything spiritual. You could try this one or something similar..... I have deep feelings about God that I prefer to keep as a very private matter, but thank you for caring about me.

Magdalena

Quote from: VedereD on July 21, 2016, 12:36:57 AM
Hi.  I live in West Texas. I've come to be a pretty intense introvert, and even writing this introduction is a bit difficult, though writing is probably what I do best.  I guess I'm not quite sure where to begin.

Maybe with why I'm here.  I stopped believing in god a few years ago, and it was a huge relief.  This year, however, I've been going through some struggles with my career, and I've been at a loss as to what I should do next.  Before in my life, I relied a lot on instinct, which I believed (at the time) was directed by God or the Cosmos or something.  Now that I've been trying to figure out a new direction for my life, or find actions to take to change my life, I find I'm struggling a lot with it.  I don't know if it's because I don't trust my instincts anymore, or if there's just nothing out there getting my instinct's attention, or if I'm just out of touch with my instincts now, or what.  I often feel like I've come to a dead end.  Or at least to a place in the world where there are no longer any maps, and I just have to make them for myself now.  I just don't seem to be very good at that part.  Not yet.

I tried seeing a confidential counselor provided through my place of work, but I didn't find the sessions particularly helpful.  He wanted to talk about the situation I'm having at work and help me cope with it, while I wanted to talk about who I am, what I want to do next, and how to go about finding new, more meaningful work.  I think, with regard to my job, I'm a bit beyond trying to change my state of mind about it and learn to be satisfied.  I've tried very hard to change my perspective, because I know a positive outlook can help (I've managed to do this this in the past), but I just can't seem to do it anymore.

I guess I wondered how other atheists have changed their careers or have chosen what their purpose in life would be. How do you match up who you are with a job?  Are there any threads here or websites elsewhere that might be helpful for a introverted nonbeliever looking to switch gears in life?  Any good life stories?

The name for this forum caught my attention. Despite my skepticism about a lot of things, I've found I'm also a nearly perpetual optimist.  So much so I even get on my own nerves sometimes.  It just seems to be in my nature.   

Thanks in advance for any resources/discussion.

P.S.  I recently read this letter by Hunter S. Thompson (whose work I've never read or been interested in), and it echoed a lot of what I've been thinking lately.  I thought what he had to say about goals was kind of interesting, too, since I've always been achievement oriented.  http://www.lettersofnote.com/2016/07/your-type-is-dime-dozen.html

Welcome, VedereD:computerwave:

I, just like you, also believe that I'm directed by the Cosmos or something, and I still trust my instincts. I'm also a nearly perpetual optimist. It' when I forget this that I find myself in a place in my life where there are no longer any maps. You said that you've been trying to figure out a new direction for your life, or find actions to take to change your life— why right now?

If you take the obstacles out of the equation, and if you had to answer without thinking too much about it, what is it that you would really love to do for a living right now?

~Just curious to see where you would go.  ;)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant