News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Ongoing military coup in Turkey

Started by Asmodean, July 15, 2016, 11:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Apparently, the military has taken control over the country. Erdogan is appealing for the people to take to the streets and resist... I wonder how much support that one actually has left.

From what I can see on web TV, there is a helicopter firing on something. Wonder what. Some sources claim that the people behind the coup control some strategically important buildings and areas, others report that several key coup makers are under arrest. The latest from Norwegian media is that unconfirmed reports claim soldiers firing on civilians in Istanbul.

This, it's been a long time coming, yes?

BBC
CNN
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

joeactor

Well, my friends in Turkey are ok for now.

Sounds bad, though. People in the streets. Gunfire.

2016's been a really sucky year for the planet.

President Trump might be the final nail in humanity's coffin...

(or am I too dramatic?)

Recusant

While Erdoğan has shown himself to be a despicable mountebank, in my opinion, the result from this may not be good for Turkey.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

I hope Firebird's wife's family are ok.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

The latest is that unconfirmed reports call the coup a failure...

I agree, nothing good will come of it in any case.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

If you are going to do a coup, it had better be successful.  Now, the architects are dead men, and Erdogan is stronger.

Firebird

Quote from: Tank on July 16, 2016, 12:56:07 AM

They're all OK, thankfully. We were in touch with them for the past few hours on WhatsApp and facebook(when they managed to get around their censors). They were all laying low inside and stayed there.
It looks like it was just a faction of the military,  not the whole thing, and it has disintegrated into one big clusterfuck, so much so that my wife and some of her friends wonder if it's a false flag operation to drum up more support for Erdoğan. They took over the main TV station and attacked police stations, but didn't arrest any government officials, including Erdoğan, who called for his supporters to go into the streets and defy the curfew, which they did, and now the military officers are being arrested. So the whole thing has failed, and now Erdoğan will exploit the situation like he always does,  and things will continue to get worse.
My in-laws are supposed to come see us in 3 weeks. Hopefully that will still happen.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on July 16, 2016, 12:45:07 AM
While Erdoğan has shown himself to be a despicable mountebank, in my opinion, the result from this may not be good for Turkey.
Even if the coup has failed this is still bad, Erdowan will move even further right.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Firebird on July 16, 2016, 05:07:13 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 16, 2016, 12:56:07 AM

They're all OK, thankfully. We were in touch with them for the past few hours on WhatsApp and facebook(when they managed to get around their censors). They were all laying low inside and stayed there.
It looks like it was just a faction of the military,  not the whole thing, and it has disintegrated into one big clusterfuck, so much so that my wife and some of her friends wonder if it's a false flag operation to drum up more support for Erdoğan. They took over the main TV station and attacked police stations, but didn't arrest any government officials, including Erdoğan, who called for his supporters to go into the streets and defy the curfew, which they did, and now the military officers are being arrested. So the whole thing has failed, and now Erdoğan will exploit the situation like he always does,  and things will continue to get worse.
My in-laws are supposed to come see us in 3 weeks. Hopefully that will still happen.
Good to read they are ok. Not much I can say with so little to go on. It will be very interesting to hear your in-laws reports.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

It's now clear that the coup has failed.  In many ways, that's a pity IMHO.

When I saw that fighter aircraft were involved, last night, I thought it was a useful demonstration of the width of support for the coup.  Fine.  But now it turns out they've actually bombed parliament in Ankara.  That seems well OTT.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: OldGit on July 16, 2016, 09:52:12 AM
It's now clear that the coup has failed.

Ye, coups are hard to pull off, I prefer poison myself.
That Reman device that took out the Romulan council was cool.
I've seen them on ebay but I'm not sure they're genuine.
They had 5 or was it 8? generals and lots of Colonels.
Did all the colonels know what all the lieutenants were thinking?
Did all the the sergeants have total charge of their charges?
And mobile telephony, what a curse for the modern coupier,,,
couper, coupist, coupmaster general, coupon, guy arranging a coup.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Firebird

Quote from: OldGit on July 16, 2016, 09:52:12 AM
It's now clear that the coup has failed.  In many ways, that's a pity IMHO.

When I saw that fighter aircraft were involved, last night, I thought it was a useful demonstration of the width of support for the coup.  Fine.  But now it turns out they've actually bombed parliament in Ankara.  That seems well OTT.

And why bomb Parliament in the middle of the night in the weekend? What does that accomplish?
Roughly half the country,  maybe a little less, hates Erdoğan and would love to see him go, and the military was counting in their support when they launched this. But they didn't get it for whatever reason, partly because of the past history of coups, partly because there is no clear alternative to Erdoğan and his AKP party either. The main opposition party (CHP) is weak and corrupt, and then there's a bunch of smaller parties clamoring for their part of the pie.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ecurb Noselrub

The opposition leader came out against the coup.  So poorly planned - false flag sounds more feasible the more I hear about the event.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 16, 2016, 03:30:01 PM
The opposition leader came out against the coup.  So poorly planned - false flag sounds more feasible the more I hear about the event.

QuoteThe contemporary term false flag describes covert operations that are designed to deceive in such a way that the operations appear as though they are being carried out by entities, groups, or nations other than those who actually planned and executed them

You're such a cynic.

The democratically elected Palpatine president will take measures to restore order.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 16, 2016, 04:20:03 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 16, 2016, 03:30:01 PM

QuoteThe contemporary term false flag describes covert operations that are designed to deceive in such a way that the operations appear as though they are being carried out by entities, groups, or nations other than those who actually planned and executed them

You're such a cynic.

The democratically elected Palpatine president will take measures to restore order.
He has already arrested lots of the judiciary.

But then, judges in many Asian and Muslim countries are as much political as legal players.

But could the coup be another excuse to remove another democratic itch from up his arse?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74