News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Makes you think...

Started by Tank, July 10, 2016, 07:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeler

Quote from: Magdalena on July 12, 2016, 04:18:13 AM
Steeler, you're posting a lot of stuff, what is it that you really want to say?
I'm just curious. You're posting like Pahu, right now. You're posting links, but I don't know what it is that you want to say.

...I know this is the "Makes you think..." Thread, but please, just make it easier for some of us and just say what you want to say.  :-\

:grin:

I'm not trying to be mysterious or anything, really. Lol
Maybe I just suck at posting. Yeah, that's most likely.
Not trying to derail the OP here but my general thoughts on the police shooting rallies, or should I say anti police rallies are that I think the BLM peeps look like idiots. Well not all, but the thuggish ones sure do make the legit ones look bad.

You have them forming massive human blockades that are shutting down interstates. C'mon people. How is this helping your cause?
I've heard them say not to take the actions of the Dallas shooter as a representation of all of them, yet preach against all cops for the actions of a few.

As for the meme in the first post, it's funny but ridiculous IMO.
I've never seen the NRA attempt to push assault weapons (hate that description) on anyone, only support your right to legally own them.
They are not anti government, but support your right to own weapons to defend against a tyrannical one. There was no tyranny with the Dallas police officers that were murdered, so that meme makes no sense, just something someone whipped up to stir the pot.

Oh, and Tank mentioned the media spin. I believe the media absolutely loves this stuff. Anything to create more issues.
If these most recent shootings had been white guys that were shot, do you think we would have even heard about them? I don't think we would.
But that's all just my opinion.

Magdalena

Quote from: Steeler on July 12, 2016, 06:25:17 AM
But that's all just my opinion.
Amen!
:lol:
Maybe we'll talk some more tomorrow, I'm gonna go to sleep now.  :computerwave:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bad Penny II

I think America is a harsh society compared to Europe Canada and Aus, it's welfare, health and probably education systems seem the product of a different philosophy.
The dog eat dog approach may be dynamic producing great things but I don't think I'd choose to pay the price.
And then there's the guns, I heard of a visiting US doctor attending a local conference, apparently he'd treated more gunshot victims in the last fortnight than our country has in a year.  No I can't verify that, well maybe I could but life's too short.
It must be like a war zone for a cop there, in some areas anyway.  Maybe the job isn't attractive to good people that can do something else.
Oh I haven't offered any solution at all, errr, how about a universal surveillance network and lots of drones, oh and ban that angry rap music, and the drones could detect those nasty angry drugs and deal with anyone that contains them, and spend the trillions wasted on weapons and wars lifting the poor from their squalor, than they mightn't be so angry and they'll listen to better music and take nicer drugs.  You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one, Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya.

QuoteGive me your hungry, your tired, your poor I'll piss on 'em
That's what the Statue of Bigotry says
Your poor huddled masses
Let's club 'em to death
And get it over with and just dump 'em on the boulevard
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 12, 2016, 12:08:27 PM
I think America is a harsh society compared to Europe Canada and Aus, it's welfare, health and probably education systems seem the product of a different philosophy.
The dog eat dog approach may be dynamic producing great things but I don't think I'd choose to pay the price.
And then there's the guns, I heard of a visiting US doctor attending a local conference, apparently he'd treated more gunshot victims in the last fortnight than our country has in a year.  No I can't verify that, well maybe I could but life's too short.
It must be like a war zone for a cop there, in some areas anyway.  Maybe the job isn't attractive to good people that can do something else.
Oh I haven't offered any solution at all, errr, how about a universal surveillance network and lots of drones, oh and ban that angry rap music, and the drones could detect those nasty angry drugs and deal with anyone that contains them, and spend the trillions wasted on weapons and wars lifting the poor from their squalor, than they mightn't be so angry and they'll listen to better music and take nicer drugs.  You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one, Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya.

QuoteGive me your hungry, your tired, your poor I'll piss on 'em
That's what the Statue of Bigotry says
Your poor huddled masses
Let's club 'em to death
And get it over with and just dump 'em on the boulevard
I am sure there are good aspects of life in America - but not sure how many can afford them.

Some time ago there was a radio series by the BBC about life in America. They tried to get a balance but trust any media to look for the controversial bits.

The item that stuck in my mind was the "Health Fair", a group of doctors, dentists and opticians travelling round the Midwest offering free or very cheap inspections and treatment - bit like MSF, all voluntary. There was, IIRC, opposition to this scheme from the "private" doctors and insurance companies. Why?! These people are in this state because they cannot afford private care or insurance!

An English dentist said that he was overloaded with people needing serious treatment, even operations.

I am not going to moan about the National Insurance system or the few quid I have to pay for dental care ever  again. Hooray for the NHS with all its faults. And dark destinies for those politicians trying to crash it.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Gloucester on July 12, 2016, 12:45:58 PMThere was, IIRC, opposition to this scheme from the "private" doctors and insurance companies. Why?! These people are in this state because they cannot afford private care or insurance!

I'm inclined to think health shouldn't be a field for the takers, there's law and accounting and marketing and the military industrial complex for them.  The prospect of a comfortable living and the opportunity to do good, lots of government educational subsidy, that'd attract a better, a caring class of people.  I of course have no support for that assertion, I'm preaching again.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 12, 2016, 01:10:29 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on July 12, 2016, 12:45:58 PMThere was, IIRC, opposition to this scheme from the "private" doctors and insurance companies. Why?! These people are in this state because they cannot afford private care or insurance!

I'm inclined to think health shouldn't be a field for the takers, there's law and accounting and marketing and the military industrial complex for them.  The prospect of a comfortable living and the opportunity to do good, lots of government educational subsidy, that'd attract a better, a caring class of people.  I of course have no support for that assertion, I'm preaching again.
Um, tbat lost me somewhere  BP III, which assertion are you agin?

Could it be said that, in terms of equality across the racial, welfare and economic spectrums America is the worst example in the Western world?

Perhaps with Tory governed Britain coming up fast into second place, in all but racial problems on tbe US scale, but . . .

Davin

Quote from: Steeler on July 11, 2016, 08:55:54 PM
Yup. Preaching. Me thinks anything is preaching in your mind. Even an opinion.
What's wrong with good ole differing opinions? I know, I know. Forum rules and all, down to the letter.
When you don't back up those "opinions" when challenged, like you did when I challenged them, that is preaching. I'm glad that you know that, but I don't understand how you would think that I would think that anything is preaching in my mind.

Hey, I get it. You don't like the what the facts show, so you'd rather just call your incorrect assertions as merely opinions. That's fine, I'm fine with that. Me calling what you said, "bullshit," didn't make it bullshit. It was bullshit before I said anything, and it would still be bullshit if I hadn't called it "bullshit." That's fine with me too, I'm not stopping you from expressing your bullshit, I'm just pointing out that it is bullshit.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Steeler

I corrected the numbers, doesn't change the fact.

Magdalena

Quote from: Steeler on July 12, 2016, 04:54:11 PM
What fact? The fact that, Black bodies are systematically linked to criminality, and perceived as threatening even when unarmed, following police orders, or being manhandled by two officers?

Protesting, it gets people talking about things we don't want to talk about. In this case, it's about getting people to talk about how racism is alive and kicking in the USA. Who cares if like you said, "the thuggish ones sure do make the legit ones look bad?" Back then, some people thought it was the "dirty-long hair-hippies" who made the legit ones look bad...But they got people talking about the Vietnam War.  :smilenod:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

I admire the swift edit, Steeler. Seriously.  :thumbsup:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

gentle_dissident

The wrong leadership has been in this country since the start. The people are convinced they cannot act toward something if they are not an authority and depend on leadership. This mechanism works because being a leader in the US means being a slave owner. The considerate intelligent individuals all ran off to organic farms.

Dave

Quote from: gentle_dissident on July 12, 2016, 07:24:58 PM
The wrong leadership has been in this country since the start. The people are convinced they cannot act toward something if they are not an authority and depend on leadership. This mechanism works because being a leader in the US means being a slave owner. The considerate intelligent individuals all ran off to organic farms.
GD, I will be copying this to a new topic in "Politics", er, forgotten what I called it  :-[ , look for something asking what sort of government we need!

Saves the current theme of this topic getting messed up.

Steeler

Quote from: Recusant link=topic=14555.emsg334547#msg334547 date=1468345821

I admire the swift edit, Steeler. Seriously.  :thumbsup:

Thanks.I heard your footsteps.

Steeler

Quote from: Magdalena on July 12, 2016, 06:39:44 PM
What fact? The fact that, Black bodies are systematically linked to criminality, and perceived as threatening even when unarmed, following police orders, or being manhandled by two officers?

Protesting, it gets people talking about things we don't want to talk about. In this case, it's about getting people to talk about how racism is alive and kicking in the USA. Who cares if like you said, "the thuggish ones sure do make the legit ones look bad?" Back then, some people thought it was the "dirty-long hair-hippies" who made the legit ones look bad...But they got people talking about the Vietnam War.  :smilenod:

Protesting is perfectly fine. Rioting, looting, blocking interstates while climbing on people's cars, not so much.

Magdalena

Quote from: Steeler on July 12, 2016, 07:57:29 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on July 12, 2016, 06:39:44 PM

Protesting is perfectly fine. Rioting, looting, blocking interstates while climbing on people's cars, not so much.

OK. We agree that racism is alive and kicking--unfortunately, it needs to stop, and that protesting against racism in the USA is perfectly fine. Destroying private property during a protest is not right. Neither is posting wrong statistics online. --That can start a different "type of fire, or riot" on the internet. It's...well..."irresponsible" when you do that sort of thing.