News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Supreme Court strikes down Texas abortion law

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, June 27, 2016, 05:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/27/politics/supreme-court-abortion-texas/index.html

It was pretty clear that it's main purpose was to deny women access to abortion, a constitutional right. What a waste of legislative time and effort.

Dave

So, when will Texas do a "Texit" from the States I wonder?,!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Gloucester on June 27, 2016, 06:00:34 PM
So, when will Texas do a "Texit" from the States I wonder?,!

I don't think it would pass, but after the UK vote, who knows?  It would be a giant mistake.

Firebird

Huge sigh of relief. You just never know which way Kennedy might go with these.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Essie Mae

Hooray, a victory for the rights to one's own body, but I note that the pro-lifers are saying that a lot more work needs to be done.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Davin

Quote from: Essie Mae on June 27, 2016, 07:53:30 PM
Hooray, a victory for the rights to one's own body, but I note that the pro-lifers are saying that a lot more work needs to be done.
Hopefully it's a precedent that can be followed in with various other similar anti-abortion state laws.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

No one

Everything's bigger in Texas, except brains, apparently.

Recusant

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 27, 2016, 05:12:45 PM
What a waste of legislative time and effort.

Perhaps not, from a certain point of view. If the legislation stands, then legal abortions become much rarer. If it doesn't, it provides fuel for the "we're being oppressed by the fascist leftists!!" culture wars meme. Clearly to the anti-abortion rights people the first case is preferable, but the second isn't to be sneezed at. I think this sort of thinking is behind many regressive bills in statehouses across the country, not just those that are aimed at abortion rights.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken