News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What is the best superhero/comicbook movie?

Started by Crow, March 13, 2016, 12:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Quote from: Crow on April 22, 2016, 12:09:17 PM
They tried to do the whole impact that the superheros have on the people that get caught in the cross fire but I thought it was very poorly done, same with the dream sequences, yeah they happen a lot in the graphic novels but they usually add something. The pacing was all over the place and the last bit was stupid.

This. Casting Ben Affleck worried me, but some of the previews made me hopeful that they would still manage to make a quality movie. And I liked Man of Steel too. But there was no depth to the characters, the story was pointless, and Jesse Eisenberg was completely miscast.
I didn't love the fight scenes either. Just too much CGI and quick cuts, and the amount of destruction was just so over the top. Always had this issue with Snyder, and it also bugs me when some comic issues do this (see The Dark Knight Strikes Again, for example).
I've been a huge fan of how the Daredevil series does this, wider pan shots that show what's going on much more clearly. There was a single-shot sequence during the first season that totally blew me away.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Crow

Quote from: Firebird on April 22, 2016, 01:59:59 PM
This. Casting Ben Affleck worried me, but some of the previews made me hopeful that they would still manage to make a quality movie. And I liked Man of Steel too. But there was no depth to the characters, the story was pointless, and Jesse Eisenberg was completely miscast.
I didn't love the fight scenes either. Just too much CGI and quick cuts, and the amount of destruction was just so over the top. Always had this issue with Snyder, and it also bugs me when some comic issues do this (see The Dark Knight Strikes Again, for example).
I've been a huge fan of how the Daredevil series does this, wider pan shots that show what's going on much more clearly. There was a single-shot sequence during the first season that totally blew me away.

In terms of the Batman and Superman characters the actors a fine with me, Affleck plays the slower more considered but far more violent version from the 90's which I would take over Bale every day. And the actor that plays Superman fits the roll well.

All the references in the film were good, almost too many as pretty much every shot had a ridiculous amount of references. Under everything the base is much better than most of the comic book films that have come before. My biggest problem was the story and that it really felt like the first 3 episodes to a series, or the prologue for the Justice League films but didn't really do anything, the writing was poor and pacing was totally crap. Doomsday wasn't necessary, nor was Lex Luthor as a protagonist. Snyder seems to get the comic book stuff well but at the expense of making an entertaining film and trying to do too much in 130mins.

One of the problems with Hollywood films and melee combat is the actors don't know how to fight and don't know how to fight to choreography, certainly not with sparing strength and impacts, that is why you get quick cuts so it doesn't look like play fighting. Daredevil is actually quite decent (the stairway scene specifically) but I like having a giggle at some of the scenes (anything acrobatics) as they look like kids play wrestling. But when it comes to characters such as Superman and Wonder Woman who could wipe out a city/state in a few mins they have to go for destruction. I like that they showed civilians dying in the quick cuts as they are both utter hypocrites, take the Avenger films fuck loads of people are dying in them but they never show it, I just feel they didn't go far enough with it especially as that was a motive for them to fight. So much potential lost.
Retired member.