News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What have you read?

Started by Claireliontamer, December 29, 2015, 06:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

So far this year, I have read 100 books. Now I am in the middle of The Big Book of Amber, all 10 books of the Amber Chronicles compiled into one volume. It is in the neighborhood of 1300 pages.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Recusant

Finished Culloden. Though there is an excellent description of the battle, most of the book is about the aftermath. Both of the royals involved, "Charlie" and "Billy" come off very very poorly, but I don't think my opinion of either of them can get much lower. The details of the viciousness of the post-battle reprisals against the Scots were something I hadn't learned about before, but only knew of in general terms. Not a happy making book, except perhaps for a morbid hater of Scotland. However, on the whole it is very well written.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

OldGit

The book is well worth reading, and so is The Highland Clearances which deals with the next stage of the oppression.  Prebble is Canadian and less obsessed with the military aspects, but there are many good histories of the lead-up to the rebellion.

Tom62

Quote from: Velma on June 05, 2016, 04:41:30 AM
So far this year, I have read 100 books. Now I am in the middle of The Big Book of Amber, all 10 books of the Amber Chronicles compiled into one volume. It is in the neighborhood of 1300 pages.

Wow,that is a coincidence. I'm [re-]reading all Amber books as well on my Kindle. Roger Zelazny was an awesome writer.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Velma

Quote from: Tom62 on June 05, 2016, 12:18:52 PM
Quote from: Velma on June 05, 2016, 04:41:30 AM

Wow,that is a coincidence. I'm [re-]reading all Amber books as well on my Kindle. Roger Zelazny was an awesome writer.
Yes he is, although I only just discovered him last year. I have no idea how I had not known about him before.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Bad Penny II

Stephen Baxter, he's rubbish, I don't know what Sainted Terry was doing consorting with him.
I read two of his Victorian era steam punk stilted ye oldie English turds. 

I reread War and Peace, well it's been 35 years and your supposed to reread but I don't think you necessarily should, time is growing short.  Napoleon wasn't such a genius, once battle starts it's who runs first.  Lots of waste of space characters.  I think it probably did mean something to me, it's contentions incorporated maybe, it's just dull now though.  I got it from a book fair, Tolstoy is cheap per kg, I put the leaner Dostoevskys back, you can get them both from Gutenberg anyway. I've got Anna Karenina, I might, I most probably will reread her.

Patrick O'Brian, he's a modern writer, he is dead but he carked it in a recent decade.
He writes of Napoleonic era English sailors in a ye oldie fashion but he does it to perfection. 
I'm not Old Git so I wasn't alive back then, I don't know if the language is quite right, it's gorgeous though.
Pratchet does clever funny things with the language, I love him for it. But once he get into the pages he gets a bit plain. Patrick's books are just the most completest thing.

I posted about O'Brian couple of years back, probably do it again in 18, once the Alzheimer's sets in it'll be every Thursday.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

jumbojak

I've been reading Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavriel Kay (that name CAN'T be real!!!) after reading The Lions of Al-Rassan this year and River of Stars last fall. He writes very well and maintains enough continuity between history and fantasy to keep the story interesting without seeming silly. There's just a touch of magic in each of his books I've read but it works well with the story.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz