News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Talk About Star Wars With All the Spoilers You Want

Started by Pasta Chick, December 19, 2015, 03:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

I liked it. It wasn't a great movie, but it was decent.

Felt like they could have paced it a bit better. Some places felt too rushed and others lingered too long.

Also, I think the time jumps could have helped out if used in different places. Like give the group some time to get to know each other to build some bonds, but it was like he went straight into the group and then they pretty much instantly became "friends" and got along. Didn't feel natural to me.

A few other things, it felt like they were just trying to plug up the holes in Han Solo's past with explanations like this was going to be the only film. Like, "whew, got that name thing in there, the Kessel run in parsecs cleared up... etc. now that takes care of every mention of Han Solo's past in all the other movies." But then set up the end for what looked like a sequel.

However, the banter was good, the Childish Gambino as Lando was genius casting, and it kept Han Solo's (and Lando's), character not too far off from what we see in the original trilogy.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on June 28, 2018, 04:14:14 PM
Also, I think the time jumps could have helped out if used in different places. Like give the group some time to get to know each other to build some bonds, but it was like he went straight into the group and then they pretty much instantly became "friends" and got along. Didn't feel natural to me.

I agree. The instant friendship between Han Solo and Chewbacca also seemed rushed to me. Why would Chewbacca decide not to join the other Wookies he saved and instead stayed with Han Solo? There didn't seem any reason to other than Chewbacca developed some sort of man crush on Han...it just seemed underdeveloped. 

QuoteHowever, the banter was good, the Childish Gambino as Lando was genius casting, and it kept Han Solo's (and Lando's), character not too far off from what we see in the original trilogy.

Yes, Danny Glover was indeed perfect in the role, that guy is definitely multitalented.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

joeactor

xSilverPhinx

Anyone watch the Rise of Skywalker yet? :popcorn:

I haven't... probably going to next weekend, just bumping this thread for now. :grin:

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 22, 2019, 02:44:30 PM
Anyone watch the Rise of Skywalker yet? :popcorn:

I haven't... probably going to next weekend, just bumping this thread for now. :grin:

Seen it.
Cried in it.
Loved it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: No one on December 22, 2019, 07:21:15 PM
It wasn't the same after Spock died.

You are mixing galaxies again.  You know that can be destructive.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 22, 2019, 10:30:22 PM
Quote from: No one on December 22, 2019, 07:21:15 PM
It wasn't the same after Spock died.

You are mixing galaxies again.  You know that can be destructive.
It's OK, billy rubin can let us stay here while the galaxies destroy each other:  :grin:
Quote from: billy rubin on December 22, 2019, 10:27:46 PM
it's not much. just an RV-size panel about one foot square hooked to a motorcycle battery. it keeps a single dim 12-volt light on in the chicken house so that the possums can see when they're stealing the chicken feed.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

bring your blankets. this time of year it can get pretty cold.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

Thanks, but no thanks. I want absolutely nothing to do with the snow.

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 30, 2018, 03:03:35 PM

Yes, Danny Glover was indeed perfect in the role, that guy is definitely multitalented.

Donald Glover, or Danny Glover?

:P

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on December 23, 2019, 12:59:06 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 30, 2018, 03:03:35 PM

Donald Glover, or Danny Glover?

:P

Whoops! Donald Glover! :P