News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Thoughts on energy

Started by myleviathan, June 07, 2008, 11:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myleviathan

I've really been thinking lately about my personal energy and resource consumption. I absolutely cannot stand the idea of receiving oil from the Middle Eastern nations. I can't stand that a lot of my food has to travel significant distances to get to me, further exacerbating oil dependency. Plus there's all the plastics that are oil derivatives.

It's not just about dependency on the Middle East, either. Because it bothers me that I'm on the power grid, too. I feel dependent on electric companies. The majority of electricity in the US comes from burning coal, for which they tear mountains apart with strip mining. It seems like there should be tons of renewable energy available for everyone. Am I wrong?

I saw a commercial the other day for a power company saying that they support electric cars. Well of course they do! They're an electric company! They want to be the power empire instead of the Middle East. It's a step, but it's not enough for me. I want to be able to produce my own power, my own food, and I want to do it with as little waste as possible. It goes way beyond being "green", it's about relying on others as little as is necessary.

Barring natural disaster, I feel like the competition for energy and resources is going to be the ultimate demise of humanity, which is why I feel the way I do. Does anybody feel the same way? Is anybody else a do-it-your-selfer?
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Kylyssa

The technology now exists to basically "print" solar panel material that is thin, light, and flexible.  Every building should have this on their roof, vertical blinds should be made of the stuff.  But where is it?  Why isn't the government subsidizing this?

I think human beings are like cockroaches, our demise isn't coming any time soon, barring a natural disaster of enormous proportions.  I think civilization could easily go down the tubes, though.

Evolved

I agree with you.  I am constantly trying to come up with steps to change my energy consumption and limit waste.  I suggest taking it in small steps, because it's easy to get overwhelmed and depressed about the whole thing.  I recently switched from plastic disposable grocery bags to recyclable canvas ones that I will use indefinitely.  I know that it won't make me a contender for the Nobel Prize, but it makes me feel better.  It takes oil to make those disposable bags, so not using them cuts my oil consumption.  My next target is water consumption.  I use too much.  I am also a paper towel monster. :evil:

You are right about the fact that there are many other alternatives out there.  I think that the current gas price issue is a great example of how we the consumer drive the American government's priorities on consumption - gas has been high for a relatively short period of time, yet car dealers already can't sell guzzling SUVs and auto plants are closing left and right.  We are a crisis oriented society, and it takes a perceived crisis in order for the public to act.  What we need is to have the public feel that there is an energy crisis, and change will come.  I have a simple example that illustrates my point.  I work in public health, and every year we push people to get vaccinated for influenza.  I live in an area where there are a lot of retired folks, so it's a pretty important issue for them.  For several years, we have had a surplus at the end of the flu season no matter how much we advertise the importance of getting the shot.  A year or two ago, a nationwide shortage was announced in the media (and it turned out not to be a major shortage - we still had enough for everyone) and we couldn't keep the stuff in stock.  It was flying out of our inventory.  One guy even threatened one of our front desk clerks with violence if he didn't get his elderly wife a flu shot.  After that season, no more shortage announcements, and the demand has dropped again.

If you announced that a shortage of energy was imminent and that it would hit Americans in their pocketbooks and they wouldn't be able to afford their swimming pools or Wiis, or whatever, you can bet that legislation pouring money into researching alernative fuels wouldn't be far behind.  I think that the gas crunch is a great thing.  We love crisis, and only respond to crisis.  We don't prepare for the future.

I'm not sure that energy and resource competition is going to result in our demise - we're killing ourselves in so many other ways...
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

tornado

The renewable, self-dependent world you dream about really isn't that far off. In fact there's a company called nanosolar which invented a solar panel that produces energy at a rate cheaper than coal.

The issue is that American media refuses to present the many breakthroughs in alternative energy technology. The products are not reaching a large enough market to become affordable or available to every person, so it is up to the consumer to search them out.

jcm

Quote from: "myleviathan"It seems like there should be tons of renewable energy available for everyone. Am I wrong?

Yeah right...like there is some big giant ball of flaming energy out there that we could some how harness! Get real.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

tacoma_kyle

Quote from: "tornado"The renewable, self-dependent world you dream about really isn't that far off. In fact there's a company called nanosolar which invented a solar panel that produces energy at a rate cheaper than coal.

Not to be hostile, that doesnt make any sense.

Solar is free when it comes to receiving it. It costs a lot up front, which is the big problem. Then there is just general maintenance which is no big deal.

To compare them, it would have to be over a given period of time at so much power used.

Not that the tech isnt there, the cost is through the roof for any real efficient solar panel. Last I read (I will say it again...last I read) about the best efficiency you could get from a ordinary (silicon is it?) solar panel was in the low teens...11-15%. Different materials work better. They cost a grip though. As if solar didnt already... It is hard to do when the turnover point is around 10 years down the road.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

tornado

QuoteNot to be hostile, that doesnt make any sense.

Solar is free when it comes to receiving it. It costs a lot up front, which is the big problem. Then there is just general maintenance which is no big deal.

To compare them, it would have to be over a given period of time at so much power used.

Not that the tech isnt there, the cost is through the roof for any real efficient solar panel. Last I read (I will say it again...last I read) about the best efficiency you could get from a ordinary (silicon is it?) solar panel was in the low teens...11-15%. Different materials work better. They cost a grip though. As if solar didnt already... It is hard to do when the turnover point is around 10 years down the road.

I wasn't the one who made the comparison, I was simply paraphrasing an article I had read. Perhaps I was inaccurate in my description, but I don't see how it doesn't make sense to directly compare two sources of energy production.

These new solar panels produce energy at 30 cents a watt as compared to $3 a watt for standard solar panels. This makes the cost of producing these solar panels cheaper than the cost of digging up coal and burning it to produce energy. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the article, read it for yourself and then maybe it will make sense. http://www.celsias.com/2007/11/23/nanos ... than-coal/

LARA

QuoteYeah right...like there is some big giant ball of flaming energy out there that we could some how harness! Get real.

I know, as if we just have access to these photons everywhere that we could use to power stuff.   I mean people are soooooo   dumb. :D .

At any rate, I think we're at the beginning of a transition point for the human race where there really isn't any comfortable place to be.  Some form of energy has always been a limiting factor though, and oil is really just a blip in history.  I think we'll come through it okay, maybe not unscarred, but nothing like the collapse of modern civilization.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Asmodean

I'm probably the least environment-minded person on Earth. Mostly out of my own selfishness, and I'm the first to admit it.

I'd gladly vote for paving the Sahara desert with solar panels and start using "clean" energy, but before that becomes a real possibility, I have no intention of cutting back my consumption. Not unless I must.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

myleviathan

Quote from: "LARA"I think we'll come through it okay, maybe not unscarred, but nothing like the collapse of modern civilization.

What about Waterworld? Heed the signs, people. Follow Kevin Costner to the truth.

Quote from: "LARA"Well that barring a Hydrogen economy or cold fusion

I was hoping for a gravity-powered machine, but I found out sadly this just isn't possible. The force put in will always equal the force put out. Snap.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

myleviathan

Quote from: "LARA"I think we'll come through it okay, maybe not unscarred, but nothing like the collapse of modern civilization.

What about Waterworld? Heed the signs, people. Follow Kevin Costner to the truth.

Quote from: "LARA"Well that barring a Hydrogen economy or cold fusion

I was hoping for a gravity-powered machine, but I found out sadly this just isn't possible. The force put in will always equal the force put out. Snap.

Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"Solar is free when it comes to receiving it. It costs a lot up front, which is the big problem.

Wiser words have never been spoken. I've been to some solar panel installer's websites. Financing is always available. Bad sign.

Quote from: "jcm"Yeah right...like there is some big giant ball of flaming energy out there that we could some how harness! Get real.

Man, I was offended at first, then about three seconds later it hit me. Sarcasm. Then I felt better.

There's really no easy solution, except to use less energy. Power is awesome, but it comes at a price. I wish I could just tell myself, fuck it. But I can't. My goal is to become just rich enough to be totally independent, and I'll start a commune where everyone is welcome. And we'll sing and dance and Asmodean will not be invited for his insolence.  :D

Asmodean

Quote from: "myleviathan"But I can't. My goal is to become just rich enough to be totally independent, and I'll start a commune where everyone is welcome. And we'll sing and dance and Asmodean will not be invited. He's too insolent.  :hide:

Still, just out of curiosity, how many of you can in all honesty say that you are not the same? Though the lower priorities can switch places, all the people I've ever known were interested in their own well being and comfort before any one elses (families and close friends excepted)

In my experience, many people aspire to be better than themselves and failing that, they still think themselves more noble than they are. Well, if it toots their horn, so be it. I, however, prefer being fully aware of who I really am and where I really stand.

Oh... And I can't stand dancing.  :raised:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

myleviathan

Quote from: "Asmodean"all the people I've ever known were interested in their own well being and comfort before any one elses

That's true. We do what we do for the most part because we want to do it. I can say I want to be totally independent mostly out of selfishness. I don't want to depend on others. That feeling springs from selfishness. I'm not doing it for the polar bears. Although I hope that somewhere out there, the polar bears can frolic in the snow and eat as many seals as they can stomach. And I'll bet that's a lot.

Quote from: "Asmodean"I, however, prefer being fully aware of who I really am and where I really stand.

That's why you should get some kudos. Kudos.

Asmodean

Yes. In the end it's selfishness that drives us. There are probably exceptions, as few rules don't have one. Still, I think people should be more willing to admit it.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

My selfishness is telling me that if I rather spend my money on myself than handing it over to the oil-, electricity,- gas- and water companies  ;)
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein