News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Lightboxes for SAD

Started by Claireliontamer, October 18, 2015, 10:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claireliontamer

This is probably aimed more at the northern Europeans, possibly Canadians....

Has anyone tried using a lightbox in the darker months to help their mood.  I am noticing a pattern that this time of year when the darkness creeps in at either end of the day my mood really drops.  Having had a quick look online there seems to be quite a lot of evidence that these have a positive impact so will probably give it a go but I don't really know if it's worth spending the extra money on a different box, there seems to be a huge range in prices. 

OldGit

I tried one for a while.  It didn't help much, but I should probably have been more consistent with it.

Tank

We have one.It sort of brightens the place up. Can't say it makes a big difference, but I don't think it does any harm either.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

joeactor

I use one daily, all year long.

It's important to get up at about the same time every day (weekends too), and use it consistently to get an effect.

Of course, it will have more or less effect depending on your level of SAD.

The one I use has blue LEDs and is rechargeable. It was made by Apollo Lighting (but I don't think they're around any more)

Here's a similar one from Philips:
http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/HF3332_60/golite-blu-energy-light

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info,
JoeActor

Claireliontamer

Well I ordered one and it arrived today......it's really quite bright.  I guess that's kinda the point ;)

joeactor

Quote from: Claireliontamer on October 22, 2015, 06:42:08 PM
Well I ordered one and it arrived today......it's really quite bright.  I guess that's kinda the point ;)

Ha! Yes, yes indeed...

There's been some interesting research done on circadian rhythm.
I remember one study that showed you could affect it even if the light wasn't seen.
They shone the light on the back of people's knees, and got a different response from a control group.

Hope it has a positive effect for you!
Joe