News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Problem of Design

Started by Whitney, June 22, 2006, 10:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

Quote from: "onlyme"or for making fun of bald prophets.

i think it just goes to highlight the fact that we are human, we don't have all the answers, and we are not all-powerful.  we should just show some respect, that's all, we are not invincible, though every generation of young people have thought they are invincible.  they are all dead.  respect where respect's due, I think.  please refer to my earlier postings if you want a more detailed explanation on my views.  You many not agree with them, but I think they are valid points.

Ooookay.

QuoteIsn't the internet a great thing?

Thank you Al Gore!

Squid

Quote from: "iplaw"Squid is that a picture of Dimebag Darrell?

It is indeed.

iplaw

Man, we may not have much in common with the whole theism thing, but god...what a guitarist.  His sound was the smoothest heaviest mix to ever come from a guitar.  I cut my musical teeth on their sound.  I can remember frantically trying to learn the solo from Cowboys from Hell...oh how I loved that band.  Vinnie Paul is one of the most amazing drummers to ever sit behind a drum kit....well next to Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater that is...not to mention John Petrucci.  Are you a Vai fan?

Squid

Dime was an amazing guitarist.  He forged out a very unique sound which became a definitive metal sound.  His death was a tragic loss.

Vinnie Paul is an amazing drummer.  I think he has always been under-rated in his ability within the industry.

I am a huge Vai fan. Along with Petrucci and DT, Satriani, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman...the list goes on and on.

iplaw

I am probably one of the biggest Vai fans on the planet.  I bet I have listened to Passion and Warfare a thousand times, I know every note bby heart.  Although I have dedicated a good portion of my musical time to jazz and flamenco in the last 6 years, metal was my breeding ground and still is one my favorite genres of music.  

I can appreciate and have studied Joe Pass, Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia and so on and so forth, but watching Dave Mustaine play and sing at the same time on songs like Holy Wars was always something to behold.

Squid

I found my playing to have incorporated more blues stylings lately.  I remember when I started, all I wanted to do was perform those lightspeed sweep arpeggios, pack a ton of notes per second.  However, the opposite has seemed to happen - my playing has gotten more relaxed and a bit slower, I looking for a new goal, a bit more along the lines of Clapton in Cream.  But I hope as my playing progresses, as every guitarist does, to have my own "sound" where you can't pick out the influences anymore.

iplaw

I think we have sufficiently derailed the thread and should move to the watercooler section possibly.  I have a particular affinity for blues too.  My favorite is SRV live from Montreuax 82' and 85'.  Lately I have been obsessing over Bela Fleck and Victor Wooten.  Have you heard of Justin King?  www.justinking.com He is a phenomenal guitarist, young too.  He has incorporated a very funky bass type style.  

What axes do you have in your collection?

Squid

Yeah, we have derailed it.  I made a new thread in the Laid Back Lounge called "Music and Guitars" to carry on the conversation.

Asmodean Prime

Say you raised dogs for hunting, showing, or any other purpose. Knowing that some will be really good for your purpose and some will turn on you in a second. Should you then just kill them all before they are born because some may be bad or will you filter out the bad ones?  Ok, if you are saying well they are dogs, then think of them as your own children. What would you do?

Squid

What?

Whitney

Quote from: "Squid"What?

I think it was an attempt at making a rebuttal to the topic I started. *shrug*

Court

Um....right.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

bmxrider724

its my personal opinion that iplaw has made the most sense in this thread. hes answered all the questions, with answers that seem logical. for this i give him credit.