Author Topic: Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again  (Read 2176 times)

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • The Cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is No Cure For Curiosity.
  • On The Warpath
Re: Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2017, 06:55:36 AM »
Is there a difference between 'overhead illumination' and 'ceiling illumination'? Which would be preferable?   :scratch:

ETA: Or 'overhead lighting'.
I'm just a student of the game that they taught me.

Davin

• Guardian of Reason
  • (o°-°)=o o(o*-°)
    • DevPirates
Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2017, 07:28:25 AM »
"Overhead lighting" sounds the best to me.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

hermes2015

• Can Define Jihad
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2017, 07:37:06 AM »
Is there a difference between 'overhead illumination' and 'ceiling illumination'? Which would be preferable?   :scratch:

Overhead lighting could be outdoors and not attached to a ceiling, for instance light from a lamp post.
Ceiling lighting is attached to the ceiling in a room, but one can have tall standard lamps that provide overhead lighting in a room. They would not be called ceiling lighting.

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Reason
  • infidel barbarian
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2017, 07:39:31 AM »

I agree with Davin and hermes2015. If you wish to specify that the illumination is coming from the ceiling rather than from a tall torchiere floor lamp for instance, you could say "ceiling-mounted illumination" though "ceiling-mounted lighting" is preferable in my opinion.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Has an Invisible Dragon in Their Garage
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2017, 07:44:01 AM »

Are the lights fitted to or rdcessed into the ceiling or suspended from it or some kind of substructure? You could say, "Overhead illumination was provided by recessed ceiling lights"  but that is a bit clumsy. As Davin said, "Overhead lighting", whether qualified by type or not, covers all. Qualification might be needed for technical - recessed ceiling lights give clear overhead space for cranes etc, or decorative, cosmetic descriptive purposes. Recessed, sealed lighting can also be designed to be more easily and hygenically cleaned.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • On The Warpath
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2017, 07:45:32 AM »
Thanks guys!  :thumbsup:

Are the lights fitted to or rdcessed into the ceiling or suspended from it or some kind of substructure? You could say, "Overhead illumination was provided by recessed ceiling lights"  but that is a bit clumsy. As Davin said, "Overhead lighting", whether qualified by type or not, covers all. Qualification might be needed for technical - recessed ceiling lights give clear overhead space for cranes etc, or decorative, cosmetic descriptive purposes. Recessed, sealed lighting can also be designed to be more easily and hygenically cleaned.

Simple fluorescent lights attached to the ceiling.

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Has an Invisible Dragon in Their Garage
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2017, 09:08:24 AM »

Context important as well  :grin:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • On The Warpath
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2017, 09:09:06 AM »

Context important as well  :grin:

Yep, sorry about that.  :sidesmile: