News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 19, 2018, 07:44:36 AM
Is it the problem that there are articles that use both words but not the specific phrase "comorbidades sorológicas" ? That, efen in English, the two words together are obscure in meaning (jargonistic), even meaningless?

Recusant's "implant" does seem to make more sense.

Thing is, even in Portuguese it seems like an odd juxtaposition of words. I've never seen it before (which doesn't necessarily mean anything) but not even Google seems to know what it is exactly. :lol: 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

We seem back to people having decided on a private redefinition of a word, or phrase. They then, in the writing process, get so used to this they make the unconsciius assumption everyone else understands what they are talking about! Or perhaps consciously set out to promote propagate their pet invented pgrase or context. Philosophy books sometimes have more explanatory footnotes for this than subject text.

Seen this many times. Probably done it meself!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 19, 2018, 12:45:30 PM
We seem back to people having decided on a private redefinition of a word, or phrase. They then, in the writing process, get so used to this they make the unconsciius assumption everyone else understands what they are talking about! Or perhaps consciously set out to promote propagate their pet invented pgrase or context. Philosophy books sometimes have more explanatory footnotes for this than subject text.

Seen this many times. Probably done it meself!

That's why it's a good idea to let others read what you've written, they can often point out such things you aren't even aware of! There are a few technical mistakes in this paper I'm translating, such as a sentence in the Introduction saying that adipose (fatty) tissue is an organ -- which it is not.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 19, 2018, 05:50:21 PM
That's why it's a good idea to let others read what you've written, they can often point out such things you aren't even aware of!

Good policy. Back in the 80s I knew that I had gained my bosses confidence because he asked me to read a draft report, though it was on work that I had done. Could find no technical problems but corrected his grammar and syntax!

There are a few technical mistakes in this paper I'm translating, such as a sentence in the Introduction saying that adipose (fatty) tissue is an organ -- which it is not.
QuoteFat 'is an organ' say scientists
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/923153.stm

(Thought I had heard that idea before.)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 19, 2018, 06:37:09 PM
There are a few technical mistakes in this paper I'm translating, such as a sentence in the Introduction saying that adipose (fatty) tissue is an organ -- which it is not.

Fat is an organ but it is made up multiple fatty tissues, much like skin is also an organ and is made up of several different tissues.

I had misread what the author had written, but it is in fact correct. What initially confused me (perhaps because of my training) is why the author called it 'tecido adiposo' (adipose tissue in the singular) and not 'tecidos adiposos' (adipose tissues')?  It's a technical issue, and I am just nit-picking since an organ is classically called an organ when it is made up of more than one tissue with a similar function.

jumbojak

Does anyone else find it funny that OldGit is now listed as the creator of this thread? Gives an interesting perspective on the past and how future generations may view history. A new member might click on this, see his name and think he was someone with an ironic handle looking to improve his command of the English language. Forum archaeologists in future decades will have a tough time making sense of who we were and what we were really saying.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 19, 2018, 07:20:11 PM

Fat is an organ but it is made up multiple fatty tissues, much like skin is also an organ and is made up of several different tissues.

I had misread what the author had written, but it is in fact correct. What initially confused me (perhaps because of my training) is why the author called it 'tecido adiposo' (adipose tissue in the singular) and not 'tecidos adiposos' (adipose tissues')?  It's a technical issue, and I am just nit-picking since an organ is classically called an organ when it is made up of more than one tissue with a similar function.

I'm so proud of my big fat organ - it's about 90% of my body mass.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 20, 2018, 05:38:12 AM

Sounds like you might be severely dehydrated, Hermes! :o

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 20, 2018, 11:01:27 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on March 20, 2018, 05:38:12 AM

Sounds like you might be severely dehydrated, Hermes! :o

No, I am not really fat. Just showing off!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.