News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

"According to Evolution You Aren't Real" - Join Th

Started by Kylyssa, April 03, 2008, 02:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylyssa

Check out (and maybe contribute to?) this bizarre discussion which has sprung up in the comments to an article I wrote about morality and evolutionary psychology.

Join The Weird Conversation Here!

I'd really appreciate some ideas here.
Thanks!

Whitney

I was going to post a reply but then realized it was going to get rather lengthy and that I don't have the attention span right now to do any justice to what I was going to post.  So, I'm just going to post what I started here and I'll try to expand on it later in the comments:

First of all...the theory of evolution is not inherently atheistic, many theists also accept the theory as valid.  What is being discussed here is not an argument against evolution it is an argument against the existence of free will in a deterministic world (note: some theistic religions are deterministic).  

In my opinion, whether there is a god or not, an argument for determinism can be made.  The materialist version has already been mentioned.  But the theistic version hasn't been touched on.  Most religions believe in some sort of being or beings which have full power over what goes on in this world.  On that basis, it would seem that all that happens is a direct result of that god's intent.

Kylyssa

Thanks for your reply!

Kylyssa

Perhaps this actually belongs elsewhere.  What I guess I need help with is explaining that evolution isn't a "thing" but a natural process like erosion.  The problem I seem to be having is the person in question seems to think evolution is a conscious entity that chooses and decides.  They believe we praise evolution.  Argh.  This makes my head hurt.

SteveS

For what its worth, Kylyssa, I think your categorization of the problem is exactly correct.  Evolution is a natural process, and it does just happen.  Trying to make somebody understand that is difficult if they come from certain types of religious backgrounds.  They come to the discussion with so much misinformation!  Uphill battle.....