News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Hello Everybody

Started by Janga, February 20, 2008, 04:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janga

Hello, I came across this site through google. It seems like an interesting place to discuss issues of religion and atheism, so I thought I'd test it out.
I'm what you would call an atheist, although perhaps I am an agnostic because I don't think we will ever know for sure whether or not "God" exists.

Just to explain my view of these topics: I think that all religions and notions of God or gods are what are  called "social constructions". This means that these concepts were created and defined through human interactions and do not exist outside of those definitions and interactions. The best way to explain this is "jelousy". What is jelousy? It's a social construction that we humans have created and defined. It's not real. No one can have a gallon of jelousy. I think the concepts of God and religion are the same as this. It is socially defined through human interaction and ultimately does not exist outside of that.

Well, these are some of my views.
Cheers all!
Janga

SteveS

Hi Janga - welcome to the board!  I certainly agree that god appears to be nothing other than a man-made concept.  I think this is the difficulty the philosophers ran into once they started to try to prove his existence --- there isn't really any good reason to believe any gods are real, or that they exist in the normal sense of the word.  They certainly exist as human ideas - but that seems to be about it.

Janga

There's no way to absolutely prove or disprove the existence of God. It's all relative and abstract. Just like "jealousy". Prove to me jealousy exists. It's impossible. That's why I don't take these theories that people come up with about whether God exists or not very seriously.

tacoma_kyle

At the same time....what evidence do you need to disprove the of the divine.

God smackin ya and saying I am not here? Nah....obviously would prove the opposite.

Anyhow hi!
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum, Janga.  

I agree with your above statement with one slight difference.  I think man created god out of fear.  Fear of death, fear of the unknown, fear of natural events for which primitive man had no explanations...you get the picture.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your stay here.