News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Future of theism

Started by filip3rd, February 12, 2008, 11:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filip3rd

Quote from: "Mister Joy"And who's done better for themselves? Us or them?

What make us better?
What is the contribution of humany to the Universe?
“Anarchism, really stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion; the liberation of the human body from the dominion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government.”

Mister Joy

Quote from: "filip3rd"What make us better?

What makes them better is a more relevant question, given the context you used them in.

Quote from: "jaymayo"What's the drinking age in England? Man... I wish I was there when I was 18. Then again, I started drinking at the age of 13 with my bro. In some way, I have a little of Irish in me (my fave color is green, born on Mar 17 and drinks like a f00kin irishman!) eventhough I'm asian.

It's 18 (if you can vote, smoke & copulate at this age why should it be illegal to drink?) and I can sympathise with your plight :D . I could bottle my own blood and sell it as liqueur. Although, I am Irish. Half anyway. The other half of me is mainly Norwegian, though, so that doesn't exactly help either. :lol:

jaymayo

Quote from: "filip3rd"
Quote from: "Mister Joy"And who's done better for themselves? Us or them?

What make us better?
What is the contribution of humany to the Universe?

Hi filip3rd, I'd like to contribute to the on-going debate...

What makes us better to the animal kingdom (I hope that's the right context)? Well we are part of the animal kingdom yet as a different specie but we have evolved into a very complex animal that we do not rely on our physical strengths compared to our animal counterparts but rely on our brains...

...that said, humans do not use their brains that efficiently and effectively. Because of that, some of us make willful misjudgements or no judgements at all. Some willfully kill their own, some willfully kill themselves, some don't give a flying fuck to anything and/or anyone... all borne out of unreason.

When you think about it, collectively, we are the end product of evolution that was somehow a fuck-up. But who do we blame? God? Shit, God never existed so we can't blame him for what humans have been doing to each other historically. There we go. We blame man's unreason. To live up to our advanced and complex evolution, we might at least use this brain that evolution has bestowed upon us. But unfortunately, religion is there to take it away from us, blatantly forcing everyone to use "super man up there in the sky" as our basis for reason. The very fact of using a non-existent being as a basis for reason is like basing a sandcastle with oil... it doesn't make sense.

Enough of the ranting... Religion did help early man's psychology to explain the mysteries of the world around them. But our knowledge has evolved to a point that we've solved most of the mysteries of our natural world. Since then, our atheist and rational views have swelled as well. If we keep it up, I hope some day we will fix the fuck-ups we've done in the past...
If you see God, tell him he owes me money and an apology.