News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

Thursday was a good day. We got out of the house. I got to practice driving the wheelchair. I did pretty good. Friday, however, was not a good day. Knee hurt all day and neither of us felt like going anywhere. Maybe we can get out today.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: philosoraptor on October 27, 2015, 02:36:48 AM
Grumpy isn't quite the word.  Heartbroken is more like it.

We had to put our favorite cat to sleep today.  He was diagnosed with renal failure just two weeks ago, and he went downhill really fast before we even had a chance to try and treat him.  In the last two weeks alone, he lost 3 pounds on top of the 5 pounds he had already lost leading up to his diagnosis, which is a very significant weight loss for a cat.  It got worse over the last three days.  He wasn't eating or drinking, he couldn't use the litter box, he could barely walk, he smelled like death and he was meowing like he was distressed and in pain.  We could've spent thousands trying to stabilize/treat him, but the vet (who put him to sleep) told us it was a crap shoot and that it likely wouldn't help at such an advanced stage of his illness.  We might've been able to prolong his life, but it would've been selfish to do so.  I'm just furious, because the emergency vet who diagnosed him made it seem like he wasn't as sick as he was, mainly because they wanted 2k to do "intensive treatment" that apparently wouldn't have made a difference anyway.  I was prepared to do treatment with him at home, because I'm more than capable of administering the subcutaneous fluids and medications he would've needed, but I didn't know what to do because I saw two different vets and they each told me completely contradictory things in regards to treating for KD at home.  I was still researching our best options for treating him without emptying our bank account, and he just took a sudden turn for the worst.  I thought we would have more time.  I was not ready for this, and I feel like I'm not emotionally equipped to deal with this right now.

I know that the right thing and the easiest thing are rarely the same thing, but fuck, doing the right thing shouldn't hurt this bad.

*hugs* You did the best you could for your little guy. It's never easy to lose a pet. <3
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Either I dreamed that the door-bell rang or someone decided it would be a good idea to ding-dong ditch at 07:00.  :???:

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on November 01, 2015, 10:43:15 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 01, 2015, 07:21:36 PM
I burnt a perfectly good pizza.  :rant1:
Ooops!

Yeah, one more added to a long history of 'ooops' in the kitchen.  :P

jumbojak

We should all be thankful that HAF isn't on the Invision forum software. The Great HAF Crash of 2015 may have been epic, but at least posts don't dissapear as they're being posted. My favorite aspect of Invision is when you attempt to reply and the only option you haver is to attach a file. Members at my other forum have taken to posting screenshots of what they wanted to say or attaching text files that need to be downloaded and opened to read. Lots to read there but EXTREMELY difficult to ask questions.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

That looks messy, Jumbojak.

My reason for being grumpy today is due to my internet connection being so slow. :rant1: Pages are taking forever to load!

MariaEvri

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 09, 2015, 02:17:17 AM

My reason for being grumpy today is due to my internet connection being so slow. :rant1: Pages are taking forever to load!

that's enough to make me wanna throw the pc out of the window
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Velma

Nearly asleep last night when around mignight one of the cats jumped on my chest looking for attention. Something spooked him and he jumped off my chest right onto my injured knee. There was much pain and screaming. Took me forever to get to sleep, even after taking something for pain. Fortunately, there don't seem to be any ill effects this morning other than being a bit tired from lack of sleep.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Velma on November 09, 2015, 04:31:21 PM
Nearly asleep last night when around mignight one of the cats jumped on my chest looking for attention. Something spooked him and he jumped off my chest right onto my injured knee. There was much pain and screaming. Took me forever to get to sleep, even after taking something for pain. Fortunately, there don't seem to be any ill effects this morning other than being a bit tired from lack of sleep.

Ouch, Velma!  :o  Reading that sent a shiver down my spine!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: MariaEvri on November 09, 2015, 04:19:05 PM

Yeah, me too.  :grrr:

I feel like I need one of those squishy anti-stress ball thingies. Preferably one that squeaks.   

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 10, 2015, 01:20:01 AM
Quote from: MariaEvri on November 09, 2015, 04:19:05 PM

Yeah, me too.  :grrr:

I feel like I need one of those squishy anti-stress ball thingies. Preferably one that squeaks.
Hamster?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Velma

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 10, 2015, 01:18:33 AM
Quote from: Velma on November 09, 2015, 04:31:21 PM

Ouch, Velma!  :o  Reading that sent a shiver down my spine!
Seems I spoke too soon about lack of effects. My knee has been throbbing all day.

OldGit

Yesterday we finally sold our house and bought another, if all the endless paperwork goes OK.  In the end I had to agree to move before Christmas in order to get the last £2,500 of the price I wanted.  That's far too short a time and I wish we could have got started quicker.

I expected this and that's why we simply can't spare a weekend to see Buddy.  We'll need all our time and energy sorting out the endless details.