Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Proud to be a (your country here).

Started by Genericguy, July 11, 2012, 06:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Asmodean on July 16, 2012, 08:23:23 AM

...And New Holland tractors. Are they Fords or not?  >:(

QuoteNew Holland is an Italian full range manufacturer of agricultural machinery. New Holland agricultural products include tractors, combine harvesters, balers, haying tools, equipment used in lawn, grounds and turf care, grape harvesters.

The company was founded in 1895 in New Holland, Pennsylvania; it was acquired by Ford in 1986 and by Fiat in 1991, becoming a full line producer. Since 1999, New Holland is a Brand of CNH (NYSE: CNH) and part of Fiat Industrial.

And in case you were wondering:

QuoteHollandaise is one[1] of the five sauces in the French haute cuisine mother sauce repertoire. It is so named because it was believed to have mimicked a Dutch sauce for the state visit to France of the King of the Netherlands.

Firebird

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 16, 2012, 06:52:38 AM
Quote from: Firebird on July 16, 2012, 03:00:05 AMI actually got a little bit defensive with a Turkish cab driver last week who talked about how he didn't like the US because it has had imperialist tendencies. 

Ha ha that's funny, did you ask him if he'd heard of the Ottoman Empire?  Not the foot rest specialty store, the vast empire that lasted over 600 years.

I decided not to go there. It was my wife translating back and forth, so she probably wouldn't have let me :)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ali

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 16, 2012, 06:52:38 AM
Quote from: Firebird on July 16, 2012, 03:00:05 AMI actually got a little bit defensive with a Turkish cab driver last week who talked about how he didn't like the US because it has had imperialist tendencies. 

Ha ha that's funny, did you ask him if he'd heard of the Ottoman Empire?  Not the foot rest specialty store, the vast empire that lasted over 600 years.

Bahahahahahahahahaha

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 16, 2012, 09:04:41 AM
QuoteNew Holland is an Italian full range manufacturer of agricultural machinery. New Holland agricultural products include tractors, combine harvesters, balers, haying tools, equipment used in lawn, grounds and turf care, grape harvesters.

The company was founded in 1895 in New Holland, Pennsylvania; it was acquired by Ford in 1986 and by Fiat in 1991, becoming a full line producer. Since 1999, New Holland is a Brand of CNH (NYSE: CNH) and part of Fiat Industrial.
Thanks, but my question was just the continuation of Holland theme, really. Being an ex farmhand, I know very well what New Holland is  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

hismikeness

Quote from: Firebird on July 16, 2012, 03:00:05 AM
I am proud to be an American, but it isn't blind love. I've often been ashamed by the things we've done or the ignorance we display. I definitely criticize the US quite a bit, but only because I care, dammit! And, as was brought up before, this country is huge and multilayered, and I don't think a lot of people realize that. I actually got a little bit defensive with a Turkish cab driver last week who talked about how he didn't like the US because it has had imperialist tendencies. And I admitted that at times we have, but not everyone in the country is like that. He seemed to accept that, as he mentioned he'd met other Americans who had said similar things.
I think the big problem with the US goes beyond mere patriotism; rather, it's the concept of "American exceptionalism", the idea that our country is somehow extra-special, can do no wrong, has a mission to spread democracy to other countries, and that to criticize it is unpatriotic. Drives me crazy. It's a horrible example of arrogance and hubris. It also causes people to assume that we can't learn anything from what other countries do. The health care debate was one of the worst examples of this: Republicans were constantly talking about how we already had the "best health care system in the world", which was utter crap, yet I think they actually believed it.

Agreed and agreed. You said what I was trying to, only better. Bravo.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Non Quixote

It seems that I've had this particular discussion more the last few years that I have in all of the preceeding.  Especially when people find out that, like the OP, I'm neither proud nor unproud of being an American. 

By the way, if you're feeling lonely and want desperately to have a conversation with someone, anyone, just drop that line out loud in a medium voice in any bar in the United States.  I will guarantee that inside of 30 seconds at least one person, and probably more than one, will respond by focusing their undivided attention on you.

It isn't that I don't feel connected to my country, I doubt that I would have served in her military if I didn't. I just can't feel particularly proud about an action that I could neither cause nor prevent.  Namely my birth.  As my birth in the US was completely out of my control, I just don't understand how I can be proud of my citizenship.

However, I am also one who doesn't believe that the United States is the "greatest" country in the world, whatever that means.  I think we do pretty well at a lot of things, but I also believe that we are in decline.  There is a brilliant speech by Jeff Bridges on HBO's Newsroom show that more or less captures my feeling about our place in the world.  You can see it here, if you haven't already http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIffq85zMI4
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

Firebird

Quote from: Non Quixote on July 19, 2012, 11:41:54 PM
It seems that I've had this particular discussion more the last few years that I have in all of the preceeding.  Especially when people find out that, like the OP, I'm neither proud nor unproud of being an American. 

By the way, if you're feeling lonely and want desperately to have a conversation with someone, anyone, just drop that line out loud in a medium voice in any bar in the United States.  I will guarantee that inside of 30 seconds at least one person, and probably more than one, will respond by focusing their undivided attention on you.

It isn't that I don't feel connected to my country, I doubt that I would have served in her military if I didn't. I just can't feel particularly proud about an action that I could neither cause nor prevent.  Namely my birth.  As my birth in the US was completely out of my control, I just don't understand how I can be proud of my citizenship.

However, I am also one who doesn't believe that the United States is the "greatest" country in the world, whatever that means.  I think we do pretty well at a lot of things, but I also believe that we are in decline.  There is a brilliant speech by Jeff Bridges on HBO's Newsroom show that more or less captures my feeling about our place in the world.  You can see it here, if you haven't already http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIffq85zMI4

Nice link. I have not seen that show at all thus far because I lack HBO, though I am very curious about it having watched The West Wing all the way through (and yes, I know Sorkin was gone before it ended. I definitely noticed the change in plotting around that time).
It's also refreshing to hear this from someone who is ex-military. Forgive me for a bit of stereotyping, but I'm guessing your world-view may be atypical for a veteran. I'd be curious to know if you feel that way too.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Genericguy

Quote from: Firebird on July 20, 2012, 02:38:34 AM
It's also refreshing to hear this from someone who is ex-military. Forgive me for a bit of stereotyping, but I'm guessing your world-view may be atypical for a veteran. I'd be curious to know if you feel that way too.

Ditto. I'm also curious as to why you joined the military (assuming its not too personal of a question), or at least what you think the main reason people, in general, decide to join.

Non Quixote

Quote from: Firebird on July 20, 2012, 02:38:34 AMNice link. I have not seen that show at all thus far because I lack HBO, though I am very curious about it having watched The West Wing all the way through (and yes, I know Sorkin was gone before it ended. I definitely noticed the change in plotting around that time).
To be honest I think you would be surprised at the number of vets whose opinions are not that far off my own.  At least those that I served with, and those that I know personally.  The fact that I served in the Navy and USAF may also be a contributor since we aren't force fed the amount of Mother God Country Corp that the jarheads and Army grunts have to choke down.  Don't get me wrong, my opinions are definitely in the minority, it's just a larger minority that you may imagine.  It is also a relatively quiet and low key minority.

The amount of patriotism and nationalism that is spoon fed to the Marines and Army has its purpose I'm sure.  You don't charge a machine gun nest or even just enter into battle for a paycheck or a great medical plan.

And to Genericguy, I joined the military because I felt that it was something that I should do as a citizen.  I'm not saying that every citizen should join but I do feel personally that everyone who is physically and mentally qualified should at least give it a serious thought.  No requirement though, and the life is most certainly not for everyone.

There are myriad reasons that the vets that I know personally give for joining, from the Montgomery GI Bill to steady and ensured employment to a feeling of duty and many more.  I don't know what reason the majority would give, I've heard so many.
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

Amicale

Ah, George Carlin. Blunt, offensive, critical and funny all at once.  :P

Seriously though, I'm not particularly patriotic in that I don't have too much specific national pride per se, but at the same time, I'm glad enough to live where I do. I happen to think Canada's a pretty decent place to live, despite the current lack of jobs in my area. But really, I mostly appreciate the fact that I live in a civilized country that prizes free speech and personal freedom, as well as human rights. I talk to several people across the world regularly, and I've heard so many stories about how some of them either live in fear of their government, or are horribly frustrated with the way they're treated solely on the basis of their gender, ethnic background, religion, sexual orientation, etc. I suspect I could quite happily live in just about any country that had a similar amount of human rights (as compared to my own country), but some days I can't even comprehend having to live like some of my clients do.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Stevil

We are products of our environment after all, and to some degree we have influence over our own society (e.g. vote)

If we were brought up in either Egypt, NZ, USA, IRAQ, INDIA or CHINA, we would be bound to be different from who we would have been had we been born elsewhere.
I am certainly influenced by my society and saying that I am a proud Kiwi is recognition and acceptance of some of the influences that make up who I am.
When I see some of the crazy religion based laws/rules of USA or IRAQ or Saudi Arabia, I feel proud to be a Kiwi.
When I see us influence the commonwealth to allow royal concession to be gender indiscriminate, I feel proud to be a Kiwi.

I wouldn't say NZ is the greatest country in the world, but I am proud to live here, I enjoy the freedoms this country provides, I love the culture, I love the nature side of it. I am proud that we stood up to USA and told them that their Nukes and Nuke powered ships are prohibited from our waters.
Although I am ashamed of how we bowed down to the French when they blew up the Rainbow Warrior (killing a person) and put economic pressure on us to place their agents into a prison that they could break them out of.

Siz

Proud to be a.... Brit.

Now that's not something I would normally say. I know there're lots of things I ought to be proud of like 'free' healthcare, a tolerant and diverse culture, an accountable press etc... but, Meh, I'm bored with being thankful for those.

So why the post? The Tour de France is why. No previous British winners was the precedent and this year a British 1-2. Superb sportsmanship, humility in victory, drug-free and supreme talent. Yes I am proud. The legacy for the kids of the UK is incalculable. A true and worthy inspiration.
Well done Team Sky, Wiggo, Froome and Cav.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

OldGit

I would have felt like that after Agincourt.  Great credit to Bradley Wiggins, but he didn't rid the world of a single Frenchman.