News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Is the entire Human Race Insane?

Started by pagan1, January 03, 2008, 08:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pagan1

In the Matrix movies the majority of the human race did not know that they were just battery's powering an evil super computer,my premise is what if we are all totally,completely and utterly insane,but just don't know about it (the majority of us anyway).Please forgive me for using the term we,because I know that it is very impolite to bring into question the sanity of others,especially strangers,but imagine if you will an Alien Psychiatrist with a totally objective and unbiased point of view who decides to make a friendly house call to Earth one day (I don't know where this Doctor came from,the planet Freud or Uranus did cross my mind,but the Aliens point of origination is irrelevant,because the Alien comes with no Earth oriented cultural or historical baggage).From some distance the Alien Psychiatrist determines what would appear to be 6+ billion ape like creatures elbowing for space on a severely resource limited planet,perhaps the Alien takes note of the severe psychological trauma such crowding can cause,then after secretly abducting and probing several human specimens,interrogating them (I don't know if the Alien is allowed to use water boarding),and perhaps even using special Alien techniques,such as speaking with tongues,mental telephony,and most powerful of all the super Alien mind f**k,the Alien is able to come to some conclusion as to the mental health of the planets dominant species.What would that conclusion be?

SteveS

Primarily delusional.  :wink:

Big Mac

I wouldn't say insane but stupid seems to fit most people like a latex glove.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

oryn

You could always investigate solipsism... :D

Eris

LOL! They've come to take me away in their spaceship! Heehee! Haahaa!

To be insane, we'd need a measuring tool that defines what is normal. What is normal?

Personally, I really do think humans are... out of touch, to say the least. I mean come on - most of us believe that somewhere "out there" is an invisible (but in our image) force that is greater than us and has a mind of its own. If that's not insane, I don't know what is!
Seek the truth, come whence it may, cost what it may.

tacoma_kyle

Sorry Eris...your way behind.

That force you speak of is also known as BEER!

Good enough for me anyhow!
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Eris

Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"That force you speak of is also known as BEER!

Ah yes, thanks for bringing me up to speed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATBl4qH9I54

Will

What would that conclusion be? We have an amazing capacity for self absorption and self deception. I'm a bit guilty of the former.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Marke

Quote from: "pagan1"In the Matrix movies the majority of the human race did not know that they were just battery's powering an evil super computer,my premise is what if we are all totally,completely and utterly insane,but just don't know about it (the majority of us anyway).Please forgive me for using the term we,because I know that it is very impolite to bring into question the sanity of others,especially strangers,but imagine if you will an Alien Psychiatrist with a totally objective and unbiased point of view who decides to make a friendly house call to Earth one day (I don't know where this Doctor came from,the planet Freud or Uranus did cross my mind,but the Aliens point of origination is irrelevant,because the Alien comes with no Earth oriented cultural or historical baggage).From some distance the Alien Psychiatrist determines what would appear to be 6+ billion ape like creatures elbowing for space on a severely resource limited planet,perhaps the Alien takes note of the severe psychological trauma such crowding can cause,then after secretly abducting and probing several human specimens,interrogating them (I don't know if the Alien is allowed to use water boarding),and perhaps even using special Alien techniques,such as speaking with tongues,mental telephony,and most powerful of all the super Alien mind f**k,the Alien is able to come to some conclusion as to the mental health of the planets dominant species.What would that conclusion be?

OK, maybe insane is a bit "over the top" but I have had this theory for some time. I would probably use some term like severely conflicted.

I even have a theory of why: every organism that survives does so by doing everything it can TO survive, plants grow thorns or other other mechanisms to keep from being eaten, simple animals develop flight instincts, etc.
Now, we get to good ole homo sapiens, this animal has survival instincts honed to a razor's edge, he/she has fear, an instinct common to mammals.
We over the generations developed the ability to "contemplate", another great survival skill. The problem is any animal that fears death AND can see it coming and its inevitability must be conflicted. We as a species have come up with various coping mechanisms but most of them not very healthy.

tacoma_kyle

Haha that was sweet Eris.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

SteveS

Beer + Lego = Fun!  Cheers, Eris.  A radio station here in Chicago used to play this song on the air on Friday afternoons - they called it the "Friday Beer Song".

Eris

Quote from: "Marke"Now, we get to good ole homo sapiens, this animal has survival instincts honed to a razor's edge, he/she has fear, an instinct common to mammals.
We over the generations developed the ability to "contemplate", another great survival skill. The problem is any animal that fears death AND can see it coming and its inevitability must be conflicted. We as a species have come up with various coping mechanisms but most of them not very healthy.

Marke, have you read The God Part of the Brain by Matthew Alper? It takes your thoughts to fascinating depths. You might enjoy it.

McQ

Quote from: "Marke"We as a species have come up with various coping mechanisms but most of them not very healthy.

That's a fact, man! We have a zillion lousy coping mechanisms. Personally, I love mine: we will die. End of story. No do-overs, no eternal bliss or damnation. So live life to the full.

Time to go open my Balvenie 12 year old Scotch.    :D
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Marke

Quote from: "Eris"
Quote from: "Marke"Now, we get to good ole homo sapiens, this animal has survival instincts honed to a razor's edge, he/she has fear, an instinct common to mammals.

Marke, have you read The God Part of the Brain by Matthew Alper? It takes your thoughts to fascinating depths. You might enjoy it.

No, I have not read it but if he expands on "my" idea then it is a must read,
thanx

nummymuffin

Yes! yes it is!