News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Debating a Christian and need opinions on various arguments

Started by Raderick, December 30, 2007, 12:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arin

Hm.  Well, there are probably 10000 conversations going on about the whole trying to prove or disprove God debate.

I can't really help you in this that debate, because like you said, neither side can TRULY prove a clear answer; both sides can just make "small" arguments, and I think the debates kinda run in circles.

But, there has to be some reason so many people love God...maybe you have to be Christian to understand how God is proven?...

Whitney

Quote from: "arin"But, there has to be some reason so many people love God...

One obvious one is that the whole idea of an omnipotent being watching over you can be comforting not to mention the whole idea of heaven offers the escape of having to truly face the idea of death and many like the idea that all the "bad" people will eventually get punished.

However, the more we learn in life the more we should realize that just because we like an idea doesn't mean it's true....however, many are too afraid to apply that knowledge to their beliefs.

Quotemaybe you have to be Christian to understand how God is proven?...

I use to be an active Christian, it didn't offer any miraculous proofs of god...if it did, you'd never find a case of a Christian being able to lose their belief.  Honestly, if some god made it so you had to believe before you were given a reason to belive that would be a pretty unfair setup that only favors those who happened to be born in the right place to be taught to believe as a child.

JebusKryst

When confronted with the creation argument - if they insist that the earth is proof of a creator, I usually respond with "Who created the creator?" That question usually gets the response "He's always been there" or something like that. By their own stupidity, they've argued themselves into a hole.

QuoteWhile this is true and sad, many people don't want to be freed from the matrix, so to speak. Ignorance is bliss. They call themselves the 'flock' for a reason.

I agree with you Smarmy. I was once one of those ignorant in my own bliss. The thought of nothing being out there was too much to comprehend. Still, just because you want something to be true, doesnt make it so.