News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

My Old Pals at One Million Moms are Offended Again!

Started by Ali, May 30, 2012, 09:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on May 30, 2012, 09:10:29 PM
. . . until those heathens at Ben & Jerry's come up with more genitalia-centric ice cream names.

Wait, what?

Quote from: Crow on May 30, 2012, 10:09:32 PM
"Oh my son can count to 5", "well mine can count to 6" I don't give a shit and they are both ugly.

Oh, the times I've wished for the guts to say that.   ;D
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sweetdeath

Being a parent doesnt make your opinion worth more. :(

On topic: these control freaks piss me off so freaking much. If they want to be closed minded fools,they can be. But i am proud of DC for growing some nerves and stop being so behind in times.

Marvel has had openly gay heroes for a,while now.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on May 31, 2012, 12:30:48 AM
Quote from: Ali on May 30, 2012, 10:14:31 PM
As a mother, I totally disagree with you Crow.  Everyone knows that because I popped a baby out of my hoohah, I am an expert on practically everything.  ;D ;D ;D

I am consumed by hoohah envy.
I hear that all the time.

Ali

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 31, 2012, 03:47:48 AM
. . . until those heathens at Ben & Jerry's come up with more genitalia-centric ice cream names.

Wait, what?

QuoteOh, the times I've wished for the guts to say that.   ;D

Last time I heard something about OMM, they were protesting Ben & Jerry's "Schweddy Balls" ice cream.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ali on May 31, 2012, 05:14:38 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 31, 2012, 03:47:48 AM

Wait, what?

QuoteOh, the times I've wished for the guts to say that.   ;D

Last time I heard something about OMM, they were protesting Ben & Jerry's "Schweddy Balls" ice cream.

I remember that.
They seriously need to get a fucking life. Glad  i am not so bored, i want to demand my worthless opinion be made law.

Oh no, homosexual heroesin comics and mildly funny ice cream names are sooo offensive.

Let's not protect our children from real things like drugs and lack of gun control.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 31, 2012, 05:07:14 AM

I would say no, in general, it certainly doesn't.  Having said that, I will admit that, as DJ mentioned, when it comes to some specific parenting issues, I do tend to give more weight to people who have actually gone through those issues (either as a parent or as a child care provider, or something like that) than someone who has never been through it.  Just as I do for other issues.  For example, if I was looking for advice on a specific thing in NYC, I would give your opinion more weight than someone who had never been to NYC, because you live there. 

Tank

It does in matters pertaining to parenting. I speak from experience. Before I had kids people who did have kids told me about what it was like to have kids. But NOTHING they told me really prepared me for what it's like to actually have kids. And sorry to say this but unless one does have kids one really cannot appreciate what it's like. That doesn't mean you can't have an opinion about it but I would hold Crow's, Ali's, AD's in higher regard on matters pertaining to children than I would somebody who did not.

It's a bit like comparing the opinion on warfare of two people, one who's never done it and one who has.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ali on May 31, 2012, 03:52:09 PM

I would say no, in general, it certainly doesn't.  Having said that, I will admit that, as DJ mentioned, when it comes to some specific parenting issues, I do tend to give more weight to people who have actually gone through those issues (either as a parent or as a child care provider, or something like that) than someone who has never been through it.  Just as I do for other issues.  For example, if I was looking for advice on a specific thing in NYC, I would give your opinion more weight than someone who had never been to NYC, because you live there. 

Crow

Quote from: Tank on May 31, 2012, 04:12:20 PM
Crow's, Ali's, AD's in higher regard on matters pertaining to children than I would somebody who did not.

I don't have a kid, I don't feel old enough to have one. The idea of me being a parent scares the crap out of me.

The reason I agree with SD is that every child is different so on matters concerning a parents own child then yeah they may have an opinion that is more valid, though they still might be totally wrong and end up with a child that resents them for their entire life. How many times do parents of the same child have totally differing views on what is the correct way to raise a child, and how different are siblings to each other whilst being raised. All children are different and therefore parents experiences will be different from child to child so why is a mothers opinion got more weight than that of a non-mother as the advice or opinion one mother holds is very rarely going to be the same as another mothers opinion.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on May 31, 2012, 06:27:17 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 31, 2012, 04:12:20 PM
Crow's, Ali's, AD's in higher regard on matters pertaining to children than I would somebody who did not.

I don't have a kid
, I don't feel old enough to have one. The idea of me being a parent scares the crap out of me.

That you're aware of  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

All children are different and therefore parents experiences will be different from child to child so why is a mothers opinion got more weight than that of a non-mother as the advice or opinion one mother holds is very rarely going to be the same as another mothers opinion.

I wouldn't say very rarely.  I think that there are usually common threads in common experiences.  It's certainly true that what works with one child may not be true for another, but I would say that general trends are easy enough to pick up on.  And experience is still going to give me more to think about than opinion.  For example, I am anti-spanking.  I have never spanked T or hit him in any way, and I plan to never spank or hit him in anyway.  When someone who has never had kids tells me that my kid is going to grow up to be a rotten disrespectful brat unless I spank him, I take that with a grain of salt, since they haven't actually had the experience of raising a kid and trying spanking or not spanking as a discipline method.  Certainly, they are welcome to their opinion, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give it a ton of weight.  On the other hand, one of my friends has a son about the same age as my son, and she and her husband do spank (very sparingly), and we've talked about why, and how and I understand her reasoning.  I'm still not planning on spanking T, but I do give her words more weight and consideration because she's talking from her own experience rather than just blowing smoke out of her ass.   ;D

Crow

I guessing your friend held that view before she had a child, and I am also guessing you held your view before you had a child? As well I am guessing that having a child cemented your view just as it did your friends?
Retired member.

DeterminedJuliet

But there are a lot of things that I was certain I was going to do before I had a kid that turned out to be the complete opposite after he was born. I was SURE I was going to breastfeed for a year. I read every conceivable thing about it and was determined that that was my angle. It didn't work out that way at all, because as much as you read about breastfeeding, it really does not compare to the actual experience. My husband and I also talked about having 6 kids at one point (ha!), which we've completely changed our minds about after actually having one. So, as a bunch of people have said now, childless people are certainly entitled to their opinion, but I probably wouldn't seek out someone who has never breastfed or someone who has never had kids to discuss breastfeeding or family size. That just makes sense to me. I wouldn't go to person who has never had pets to ask for their feedback on dog ownership either.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Crow

Point taken but thats not what I have an issue with as I completely agree thats if looking for advice its better to go to the one with experience. My main problem is with mothers (I only say mothers as i have yet to hear a father do this yet and obviously isn't all mothers) who use there motherhood as a way to try and add importance to a social issues that don't really have anything to do with being a child bearer. Take how one million moms got "Jesus Dress Up" pulled from Urban Outfitters, Urban Outfitters don't even sell children's clothes.

(PS - Oh wait a sec there is a one million dads organization, changed from mums to parents.)
Retired member.

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on May 31, 2012, 06:45:21 PM
All children are different and therefore parents experiences will be different from child to child so why is a mothers opinion got more weight than that of a non-mother as the advice or opinion one mother holds is very rarely going to be the same as another mothers opinion.

I wouldn't say very rarely.  I think that there are usually common threads in common experiences.  It's certainly true that what works with one child may not be true for another, but I would say that general trends are easy enough to pick up on.  And experience is still going to give me more to think about than opinion.  For example, I am anti-spanking.  I have never spanked T or hit him in any way, and I plan to never spank or hit him in anyway.  When someone who has never had kids tells me that my kid is going to grow up to be a rotten disrespectful brat unless I spank him, I take that with a grain of salt, since they haven't actually had the experience of raising a kid and trying spanking or not spanking as a discipline method.  Certainly, they are welcome to their opinion, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give it a ton of weight.  On the other hand, one of my friends has a son about the same age as my son, and she and her husband do spank (very sparingly), and we've talked about why, and how and I understand her reasoning.  I'm still not planning on spanking T, but I do give her words more weight and consideration because she's talking from her own experience rather than just blowing smoke out of her ass.   ;D

I am staunchly of the view that spanking under the age of 18 is unacceptable.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).