News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

You must be this small to ride this ride....

Started by Ali, May 18, 2012, 11:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

Quote from: En_Route on May 19, 2012, 11:49:24 AM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 19, 2012, 02:42:10 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 19, 2012, 02:14:37 AM
Because standardization makes sense when you're talking about a static product made in a factory but not so much when you talk about a living organism?
Humans change. Even hot ones. Forgetting about objectification or superficiality or whatever - it just doesn't make sense to me to make the distinction that specific because, unlike a car, you don't get a warranty with a person. It seems silly to me to try and place a "custom order" that specific.  How many men or women stay the exact same size (up or down)? How do the numbers help in a way that your eyes don't?

That's a value judgement not befitting free thinkers.

Which is of course itself a value judgement

Touché!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: En_Route on May 19, 2012, 12:03:59 PM
I'd also add this is a forum for atheists not freethinkers. All freethinkers are atheists but not all atheists are freethinkers.

I like that but I don't believe there is such a thing as free thinker.
I can recommend some cheap ones but they all cost something.

En_Route

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 19, 2012, 02:23:23 PM
I'd also add this is a forum for atheists not freethinkers. All freethinkers are atheists but not all atheists are freethinkers.

Same goes for free love if my memory serves me well.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Siz

Quote from: En_Route on May 19, 2012, 02:43:26 PM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 19, 2012, 02:23:23 PM

Same goes for free love if my memory serves me well.

Charity begins at home... as it were...  :D

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 19, 2012, 04:32:16 PM
I'd like free cupcakes. :)

Mmmm, cupcakes! Thanks SD, now you have me craving them.  ;D I just may need to go into a baking frenzy this weekend...

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

The Magic Pudding

It is a bit odd you know.
Someone with a preferance for the overlarge male raising doubts on the rightness of males seeking the small.
You're fucked up you know.
It's OK we're all fucked up.
Let's dance now but don't step on me with your clumsy oversized feet.

Amicale

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 19, 2012, 05:06:54 PM
Someone with a preferance for the overlarge male raising doubts on the rightness of males seeking the small.

I'd dance with you, but what with the way your hippo's eyeing me, I'm pretty sure she has plans to sit on me. I don't think I can deal with that unless I have at least another cup of coffee.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

OldGit

I wallow blissfully in the delight of consorting with people as mad as myself.

Ali

Okay, but let me quantify my fondness for oversized men. I'm not saying that I would or have only ever dated giant guys. In fact, I would say that the majority of the men I have dated have been average sized (by definition, there are more average sized guys bouncing around than any other type) and both of my two firsts (first love and first sexual partner) were smaller than average guys. When I say that I have a fondness for large men, all I'm really saying is that I have a special corner of my smile devoted to the Big and Tall. If I were on the prowl, Large But Boring might catch my eye, but I'd still be going home with Short But Funny and Interesting, if those were my two choices. And the idea of someone measuring them and making them wear a badge that lists their height (and rejecting some for not being large enough) grosses me out as much as the idea of women wearing their dress size on a badge.

Tank

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 18, 2012, 11:30:11 PM
Apparently there might be some that disagree it's humiliating and degrading to women...namely those attending the event.  I'm sure no woman is forced to participate, which then would make it humiliating and degrading to them.

Not that I agree, but it would be interesting if I were of dating age...back in my prime.

But that's the male in me speaking.  :)
Agreed. One of the things we should strive for in Humanity is individual freedom and the acknowledgement that were are evolved apes with just enough brains to be dangerous. This causes variation in form and desire and where the two coincide it should be accepted.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on May 19, 2012, 06:11:24 PM

Okay, but let me quantify my fondness for oversized men. I'm not saying that I would or have only ever dated giant guys. In fact, I would say that the majority of the men I have dated have been average sized (by definition, there are more average sized guys bouncing around than any other type) and both of my two firsts (first love and first sexual partner) were smaller than average guys. When I say that I have a fondness for large men, all I'm really saying is that I have a special corner of my smile devoted to the Big and Tall. If I were on the prowl, Large But Boring might catch my eye, but I'd still be going home with Short But Funny and Interesting, if those were my two choices. And the idea of someone measuring them and making them wear a badge that lists their height (and rejecting some for not being large enough) grosses me out as much as the idea of women wearing their dress size on a badge.

I wasn't the choosy type. My only requirement was that she shouldn't be connected to a life support machine.

En_Route

Quote from: OldGit on May 19, 2012, 06:02:19 PM
I wallow blissfully in the delight of consorting with people as mad as myself.

We do our best but you're a hard act to follow.

philosoraptor

Nothing shocks me in a world where people describe "Edward Cullen" as being their type.  :P

I think it's absurd to reduce compatibility down to a number on a piece of clothing, but if the silly and shallow people want to band together in their dating and mating endeavours, I suppose that's their choice.

I wonder though, how often it is that people actually end up with someone who fits their so-called type?  And how often do those relationships succeed?  On the contrast, I guess I'd consider my "type" to be nerd, which could take any number of forms.  Some of the sexiest people I've known had bigger brains than, well, other parts of their anatomy.  But they ran the gamut from short and stocky to tall and willowy, blond to ginger and anything in between.  People who might not have been otherwise attractive to me become attractive through their wit and personality, etc...  In terms of forging actual relationships, and not just casual encounters, I honestly don't understand how people can think the shell is more important than what's inside of it.  Maybe that's really why 50% of marriages end in divorce.   ::)
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Sandra Craft

Quote from: philosoraptor on May 20, 2012, 12:32:42 AM
I think it's absurd to reduce compatibility down to a number on a piece of clothing, but if the silly and shallow people want to band together in their dating and mating endeavours, I suppose that's their choice.

When I thought about this some more, I don't think compatibility in its entirety is being reduced to a dress size -- it's just a starting point where the non-negotiable need can be gotten out of the way fast and easy so they can get right down to the business of the negotiable wants and trade-offs. 

I don't think every man who insists on a size 0 woman is going to be happy with any size 0 woman, that's just where he needs to start and at least he's being honest about it. 

As for ending up with ones type, I've done that fairly consistently as far as serious "ending up" is concerned and I realized some time ago that it was because the qualities for my basic type are not only what attacts me to them, but makes them able to put up with me.  It's a push me-pull you affect that I'm not sure would work if my type had physical requirements.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany