News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

abortion poll

Started by pytheas, February 21, 2012, 07:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pytheas

This may convey an answer as to the atheist/ abortion question

I dont suggest you post anything other than vote , there are appropriate threads for expressing points
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

DeterminedJuliet

I don't know that I see the value in this poll as it's pretty obvious that men aren't getting abortions. It's a women's issue. Yes, I think men can have very valuable opinions and imput on the topic, but I don't know what you could be getting at by asking the general population if they've ever had a procedure specific to women.

You might as well ask me if I'm for/against prostate screening and if I've ever gotten it done. I don't mean to come across as snarky, I just think the results will be inherently misleading.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Guardian85

Well, there are cases where men are at least consulted in the decision making process. (Couples and such...)
Most cases where abortion becomes an issue had some male involvement at one time.  ;)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

pytheas

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 21, 2012, 08:27:45 PM
I don't know that I see the value in this poll as it's pretty obvious that men aren't getting abortions. It's a women's issue.

requesting a child upbringing stipend from the recognised father by court gets men on the action, don't you think?

Also if you are indeed a loner and cannot imagine a personal bond interactive and intimate, in which decisions are jointly reached, you can as a man select the "didnt do it" options.

Your concern is the false positive in the "done it" votes which can only come from men that participated in the experience somehow, otherwise why would they care?

unlike the pathology of prostate cancer, pregnancies are not a disease and children need 2 to happen

Moreover, would you really like to see men stop researching eg. for a  breast cancer cure, as it is appropriately not their issue?
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Ali

I don't understand the choices.  Pro-choice is "yes abortion" (not exactly the way I would put it) or is "yes abortion" meaning "yes I had one?"

And regardless, I agree with DJ, men can't have abortions (unless my mom lied to me about the birds and the bees) so their answer would always be "no I didn't have one" wouldn't it?

Guardian85

Quote from: Ali on February 22, 2012, 07:56:24 PM
And regardless, I agree with DJ, men can't have abortions (unless my mom lied to me about the birds and the bees) so their answer would always be "no I didn't have one" wouldn't it?

So the man in a relationship has no emotional investment in the question of the abortion of his child? He can have no opinion?
I know that it is the womans opinion that weighs strongest, as it naturally must, but if you can't see that this could potentially affect the man in a relationship, then I am a little disappointed in you. Just because you are not directly hit by the bomb, doesn't mean you are not affected.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 22, 2012, 08:09:14 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 22, 2012, 07:56:24 PM

So the man in a relationship has no emotional investment in the question of the abortion of his child? He can have no opinion?
I know that it is the womans opinion that weighs strongest, as it naturally must, but if you can't see that this could potentially affect the man in a relationship, then I am a little disappointed in you. Just because you are not directly hit by the bomb, doesn't mean you are not affected.

Ouch.  Don't be disappointed.  I'm not saying a man has no interest in the outcome of a pregnancy, I'm saying physically, a man is not capable of getting pregnant and thus is not physically capable of having an abortion. 

If we want to expand the poll to say something like "My partner or I have had one" then that's different.  That's just not the way I took the question. "did it" or "didn't do it" is a pretty vague way to describe it.

Whitney

poll adjusted to be more clear on what I think was the intent of the poll.

also added options for men who were not in agreement with their partner.

Guardian85

See, now we're all on the same page. And don't feel bad, Ali.

-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Awwwww, our first fight.

LMAO (sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Asmodean

I voted "Pro choice, but I'm a single guy"

...Oh wait... That option wasn't available.  :(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

I think that's covered under "pro-choice but, I (or partner) didn't abort"

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on February 22, 2012, 10:40:42 PM
Probably, yet by implication, it seems directed at women and couples.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: pytheas on February 22, 2012, 06:08:32 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 21, 2012, 08:27:45 PM
I don't know that I see the value in this poll as it's pretty obvious that men aren't getting abortions. It's a women's issue.

requesting a child upbringing stipend from the recognised father by court gets men on the action, don't you think?

Also if you are indeed a loner and cannot imagine a personal bond interactive and intimate, in which decisions are jointly reached, you can as a man select the "didnt do it" options.

Your concern is the false positive in the "done it" votes which can only come from men that participated in the experience somehow, otherwise why would they care?

unlike the pathology of prostate cancer, pregnancies are not a disease and children need 2 to happen

Moreover, would you really like to see men stop researching eg. for a  breast cancer cure, as it is appropriately not their issue?

This is silly.  
Here were my concerns: Does every man ask every sex partner that he's ever had if she's had an abortion? If not, the survey wouldn't be accurate. Even if he asks every partner, there's a good chance that she could lie to him, making the survey inaccurate. Quite simply, a woman is the only person that knows if she's had an abortion. Maybe it's nit-picking, but I work at a research firm where we deal with surveys on a daily basis, so it jumped out at me as a problem.

Whitney fixed most of it, so carry on, but I think it's a bit silly to say that I was implying that men shouldn't care about breast cancer research because I found the structure of the poll to be flawed.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on February 22, 2012, 10:45:08 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 22, 2012, 10:40:42 PM
Probably, yet by implication, it seems directed at women and couples.

Well, in fairness, women are the only ones (physically) who can have abortions, and typically you would really only expect the man to be really involved if he is part of some sort of coupling (even if that just means like friends with benefits.)  What I mean is, if a guy had, for example, a one night stand, he might well not even know if later it turns out that the woman is pregnant because they're not in touch and the woman might well assume that the man doesn't care or might not necessarily know who the father is.