News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Talking to myself . . .

Started by Dave, July 04, 2016, 07:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on February 13, 2018, 05:42:22 PM
If you know any child or learning psychologists send that gif to them and ask their opinion.
I rather send it to Davin.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on February 13, 2018, 05:14:48 PM
I have a drinking problem too. I can drink beer like a viking on a snowy day, and I can drink Jesus' blood like a thirsty mother fucking vampire.

Quote from: Magdalena on February 13, 2018, 05:25:24 PM
My grandpa used to let me dip my little finger in a glass of sangria once a year. Every year.

Now look at me!
:drink:

Love you grandpa...Wherever you are.  I hope you went to sangria heaven. :grin:
Everything is about amounts, too much of anything is bad... that's why it's a tautology. The "drinking things from a glass bottle is child abuse" though is far too ridiculous for me to take very seriously.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Quote from: Dave on February 13, 2018, 05:42:22 PM
Well, it may be just a joke . . .

However I put it in a similar bracket to "candy cigarettes". Just a candy for kids, bit of fun . . But now banned in many countries because the esrly formed "habit" may encourage kids to smoke real cigarettes later.  Such seemjngly harmless "hsbits", again at an early age before d7scretion and critical thinking are developed,, potentially transmute into more serious ones later.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_cigarette
This is a false equivalency. Cigarettes are not normal things people do, it is a very specific action. It's also not something that a person needs to do. Drinking things however is a necessity, we can't get out of drinking things. I ate a lot of those candy cigarettes as a kid. I don't smoke.

Quote from: DaveGoes for many things, a sweet tooth is "learned" early and can lead to diabetes later.
Well shit, I guess that's the problem with all these diabetes, kids eating some candy. Never seen a kid deprived of something their whole life and then suddenly realizing that it's delicious? Yeah, from normal weight to obese in a few years. It's better to teach kids how to do things in moderation than to outright ban everything. That doesn't necessarily mean letting them do something under parental supervision. But lying about the effects of drugs, like alcohol and others, hurts more than it helps. Keep your hyperbole down, some of us are trying to have fun.

Quote from: DaveIf you know any child or learning psychologists send that gif to them and ask their opinion.
This is a old timers tactic. My mother loved it. Except for all the times I did precisely that and proved her wrong. It's like an appeal to authority fallacy, but without any actual authority to appeal to, just the promise that any authority that one may go to would just agree with you. Unfortunately it's not very effective when used against rational people.

Quote from: DaveNot quite relevant because it deals with adolescent drinking . . But perhaps parental drinking hsbits, even "pseudo-boozing" with their kids, could be a factor.

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/adolescentflyer/adolflyer.htm

We have similar problems over here.
Oh, you're so right. You know what else beer is served in? Glasses. Don't let kids drink things from glasses, because that's child abuse that leads to alcoholism.

Or... we just take your musings as they are, baseless assertions attempted to be presented as something having evidential backing.

Check out these other examples of childhood drinking that clearly constitutes child abuse and destine the kids to a life of substance addiction.

Anyway, I really think your taking this too far. You can see the bottle is empty, the kid is not actually drinking a beer. Teaching kids that people can have fun while drinking a beer is not child abuse. I think you're misusing that term.

There are a lot of studies that "show" a lot of things when it comes to raising children, not all of them are worth anything. Even if you could have gotten your hands on some and provided them we'd have to make sure they apply. But you didn't so we don't know.

I was beat severely for not sleeping long enough during nap time. That is abuse. I was hit with a tree branch until the branch broke because of a suspicion that I might have eaten some chocolate chips. That is abuse. That gif though? That's not abuse.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

^^^
Very nice, Davin.

I agree with Davin, Dave. You're exaggerating a little bit.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

Confucius say: You're not really drinking alone if your dog is at home.    My dog is home.... :puppysnicker:

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on February 14, 2018, 12:07:21 AM
Confucius say: You're not really drinking alone if your dog is at home.    My dog is home.... :puppysnicker:
I have a fish. Does that count?  :notsure:

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on February 14, 2018, 12:41:13 AM

I think a fish counts as a double yes.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 14, 2018, 03:00:19 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on February 14, 2018, 12:41:13 AM

I think a fish counts as a double yes.

Davin

Bluenose

Seeing all this talk about drinking problems, I hereby declare that I do not have a drinking problem:  If I drink a lot, I get drunk.  If I get drunk, I fall down.  No problem!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on February 13, 2018, 08:06:36 PM
^^^
Very nice, Davin.

You are, Mags, entitled to agree with anyone whose world view accords with your own. I'll just offer these as reference:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/75282-parents-effect-child-behavior/

https://my.vanderbilt.edu/developmentalpsychologyblog/2014/04/how-do-you-affect-your-child/

That "amusing behaviour" you teach your toddler can become "that annoying behaviour" ten years later. Encouraging it 2 and punishing it at 12 can possibly confuse a kid and lead to emotional and/or behavioural problems. Excepting genetic problems, congenital conditions (not caused by the mother's habits), any kind of abuse by a non-family person (of which the parents are ignorant), and physical injury parents get the kids they raise, there is nothing and no-one else to praise or blame.

I have no more to say on this.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on February 14, 2018, 04:49:23 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on February 13, 2018, 08:06:36 PM
^^^
Very nice, Davin.

You are, Mags, entitled to agree with anyone whose world view accords with your own. I'll just offer these as reference:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/75282-parents-effect-child-behavior/

https://my.vanderbilt.edu/developmentalpsychologyblog/2014/04/how-do-you-affect-your-child/

That "amusing behaviour" you teach your toddler can become "that annoying behaviour" ten years later. Encouraging it 2 and punishing it at 12 can possibly confuse a kid and lead to emotional and/or behavioural problems. Excepting genetic problems, congenital conditions (not caused by the mother's habits), any kind of abuse by a non-family person (of which the parents are ignorant), and physical injury parents get the kids they raise, there is nothing and no-one else to praise or blame.

I have no more to say on this.
Dave,

Why are you giving me advice on how to raise my children? When I, you , or anyone else here talks about drinking wine it's always just a comment. Davin posted that gif that apparently bothered you a lot, not me. Why are you judging my parenting skills?

You don't know me. You don't know my kids. You don't even know how I act or what I do when and if I drink. You don't even know if my kids are around. I'm sorry if you had a bad experience with drunk adults when you were a child, I didn't. Please don't assume my house is a hell hole. Davin mentioned what child abuse is, I know what child abuse is, you know. That gif is not.

I made my post in the, Talking To Myself, thread because I'm just talking to myself. Apparently, I'm not. You made this thread, please change the tittle to, Come Be Judged.

This is not the parenting thread, or the, ask thread. I find it funny that people who never had children want to "advice" me. --Fuck that shit.
Don't confuse me with the people you hang out with.

"I have no more to say on this." Yes, you've said enough, and to the wrong person.

Fuck, now I want some coffee with Kahlua.  :headshake:

Edit: Spelling.

Bluenose

No Mags, I'd recommend a coffee, followed by a good stiff whisky! :grin:
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Icarus

Mags I  admire and respect you for being defensive about the way you treat your children.  That is what good moms do.  Great moms are likely to be deadly  ferocious about  their children's welfare.  One is wise never ever threaten the lion mothers cubs.  Granted that, you might be a tad over sensitive above, but we do understand your posture.   Peace.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on February 16, 2018, 01:27:22 AM
... Granted that, you might be a tad over sensitive above, but ...
Maybe.