News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Handedness

Started by xSilverPhinx, January 11, 2018, 07:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on January 12, 2018, 09:01:58 AM
Now, that's interesting, I'm a left handed forker and thought that was usual, cutting needing more control than forking. As it were...

Yes, that is usual for right-handed people. Perhaps it feels more natural for me to shovel food into my mouth with the right hand.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 12, 2018, 09:19:18 AM
Quote from: Dave on January 12, 2018, 09:01:58 AM
Now, that's interesting, I'm a left handed forker and thought that was usual, cutting needing more control than forking. As it were...

Yes, that is usual for right-handed people. Perhaps it feels more natural for me to shovel food into my mouth with the right hand.

Which hand do you use with a scalpel, craft knife, saw etc?

Also, anyone, can you simultaneously pat your head and rub your tum - or pat your tum and rub your head - with either combinations of hands?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm left-handed.  Both my parents and both siblings are right-handed.  However, I'm right-footed - I kick with my right foot.  I can swing a bat with either hand, but I write and play guitar with my left.  There was never any attempt to teach me either way.

I have a story from the early 70's in Italy.  I had to get some visa papers notarized while I was living near Florence, and the notary was an old woman. She saw I was signing with my left hand.  She said "you are left-handed.  I've heard there were people like that."  Left in Italian is "sinistro".  Sinister.

xSilverPhinx

I couldn't use a fork with my left hand if I tried -- it would probably result in food smudged all around my mouth. Probably on my hair too.  ::) 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

There is such a thing as sinistrophobia - fear of the left or left-handed people.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 12, 2018, 10:01:55 AM
I'm left-handed.  Both my parents and both siblings are right-handed.  However, I'm right-footed - I kick with my right foot.  I can swing a bat with either hand, but I write and play guitar with my left.  There was never any attempt to teach me either way.

I have a story from he early 70's in Italy.  I had to get some visa papers notarized while I was living near Florence, and the notary was an old woman. She saw I was signing with my left hand.  She said "you are left-handed.  I've heard there were people like that."  Left in Italian is "sinistro".  Sinister.

I heard that in the olden days left handed people were forced to learn with their right, because it was believed that the left hand was sinister and the right was...well...right. 

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 12, 2018, 10:04:46 AM
There is such a thing as sinistrophobia - fear of the left or left-handed people.

And, traditionally, the baddies in stage plays enter the scene from the left.

There's a sketch, probably Pythonic, where the legionaires are marching to the cadence, "Dexter, dexter, dexter, sinister, dexter..."

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on January 12, 2018, 09:40:42 AM
Which hand do you use with a scalpel, craft knife, saw etc?

Right hand.

Also, anyone, can you simultaneously pat your head and rub your tum - or pat your tum and rub your head - with either combinations of hands?

Yes, I can.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 12, 2018, 10:45:25 AM

Yes, I can.

Me too. :grin:

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 12, 2018, 10:47:49 AM

Yes, I can.

Me three.

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 12, 2018, 07:00:20 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 12, 2018, 10:47:49 AM

Yes, I can.

Me three.

Any false starts, both hands patting or rubbing, before you get the rhythm?

Some do find this difficult but I found it possible to "practice/imagine it mentally" for a couple of seconds for a perfect start. I did wonder once if there were low level signals to the muscles and micro-movements during the "mental practice".

Biggus Dickus

On the Other Hand
Handedness, a conspicuous but enigmatic human trait, may be shared by other animals. What does it mean for evolution and brain function?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Dave on January 12, 2018, 07:02:41 PM

If I rub first, then start patting with the other hand, no problem at all.  A bit challenging to start both at the same time.

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 12, 2018, 08:56:28 PM

If I rub first, then start patting with the other hand, no problem at all.  A bit challenging to start both at the same time.

Ah! Damn, forgot to specify that! You are suppised to stsrt both at the same time . . .

:picard facepalm:

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Dave on January 12, 2018, 09:11:17 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 12, 2018, 08:56:28 PM

Ah! Damn, forgot to specify that! You are suppised to stsrt both at the same time . . .

:picard facepalm:

You are changing the rules in the middle of the game!  That's unconstitutional.  An ex post facto law.