News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Opportunity to help other atheists

Started by domkzyl, November 04, 2016, 03:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domkzyl

My name is Dominika. I am an atheist and a 5th year doctoral student pursuing a Psy.D in Clinical Psychology at Chestnut Hill College in Philadelphia, PA. I am currently working on my dissertation entitled "Experiences of Coming out of the Atheist Closet."

What I hope to gain from this research is information and awareness that I can pass onto therapists, psychologists, counselors, etc. so that they may be sensitive to the issues and experiences that atheists go through. Hence, by participating in this study you will be helping other atheists get better mental health services should they ever need them!

Here is my research flyer. If anyone has any questions or interest in being a participant, feel free to contact me!

*NOTE: this research is directed at individuals residing within the US only, as that is where the research is being conducted. Thanks!

Wanted: Research Participants

Chestnut Hill College, Department of Profession Psychology
You are invited to participate in a study entitled
"Experiences of Coming Out of the Atheist Closet"

Who is eligible?
• Self-identified Atheists
• Aged 21+
• Must have been raised in a religious household
• Must have disclosed your atheist identity within the past 5 years
What you will be asked to do:
• Engage in an approximately 1.5 hour interview, either in person or via Skype, depending on logistical considerations
• Discuss and answer questions related to your experiences of disclosing your atheist identity
• Give consent to being audiotaped
Compensation:
• No monetary compensation will be provided, but the information gained from the study may help others better understand the experience of disclosing an atheist identity.

If you have any questions or are interested in participating, please contact:
{Contact details removed as per 'first post' rules} Tank

Dragonia

I kind of feel like I might be perfect for this........
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Magdalena

Quote from: domkzyl on November 04, 2016, 03:59:33 PM

• Must have been raised in a religious household

I don't think I qualify.  :notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

If you want the contact details just drop me a PM.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

The organisation appears legitimate. Google shows one other occurrence of this OP on another atheist website posted 5 days before this one.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, domkzyl. As you see, the contact details in your post have been removed, per the rules of this site (promoting anything with links in a first post is not allowed).

However, you are welcome to make another post, and you are also welcome to put an address in your signature. I would suggest modifying the address so that bots don't collect it. Something along the lines of "myname |at| address.com" should be OK.

I wish you the best with your research, and would be willing to participate if I were eligible.

:spagwelcome:

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

domkzyl I see you are an atheists at a Catholic university. Does that grate at all?

Arturo

Quote from: Tank on November 05, 2016, 10:06:01 AM
domkzyl I see you are an atheists at a Catholic university. Does that grate at all?

Hmm that's weird. I also have a question about this as I don't disclose my athiest identity to my friends or family unless I meet them online.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

domkzyl

Quote from: Tank on November 05, 2016, 10:06:01 AM

The school I attend is indeed Catholic. However, the program that I am a part of is actually secular. Religion is only discussed in the context of patient's identity and how religion and spirituality can come into play in psychotherapy. I think the undergraduates probably need to take a course in religion but I am part of the graduate school. We do decorate heavily during Christmas time, there is a place to pray inside, and the school is run by many nuns but other than that...it feels pretty normal LOL.

domkzyl

Quote from: Recusant on November 04, 2016, 10:02:18 PM
Hello and welcome to HAF, domkzyl. As you see, the contact details in your post have been removed, per the rules of this site (promoting anything with links in a first post is not allowed).

However, you are welcome to make another post, and you are also welcome to put an address in your signature. I would suggest modifying the address so that bots don't collect it. Something along the lines of "myname |at| address.com" should be OK.

I wish you the best with your research, and would be willing to participate if I were eligible.

:spagwelcome:

Ahh okay. I will repost. Thanks!