News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Fox News

Started by Ultima22689, October 06, 2009, 03:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultima22689

So I thought I would bring the discussion here before I end up derailing a thread into something else. So let's get it clear, there is nothing wrong with a news station having a political bias I think. If all they do is actually report the news and have their opinions' heard is that really a big deal? Not really, they may some controversial things on occasion but that's about it but what happens when they begin distorting news and twisting things just right to severely turn things in the wrong direction or what may be best for their ideals? Combine that with an us vs. them mentality and things can get out of hand. Fox News is the most controversial news in the US, they are constantly accused of lying and doctoring news. There is even evidence to support this yet they continue to thrive. Thoughts?

LoneMateria

It would be nice if there were repercussions for falsely spinning a story.  When I watch the news I expect 2 things.  1) That they get their facts straight.  Nothing pisses me off more then the news reporters get their facts wrong.  I don't think its too much to ask that before you air a story or report on a current event that you know what the fuck is going on.  Fox has failed to do this on different occasions.  2) That the news be as unbiased as possible.  Yes, I realize that this is a bit much to ask but I think its necessary.  Its bad enough that the world is choking to death on its own stupidity.  I don't need some doushbag at the site of tragic school shooting try to push "the dangers of video games" on an already terrified audience.  Just like I don't need some blonde bimbo, who gave her CEO a tit job to get on T.V., telling me that, "Jesus Christ saved some little girl from a brain tumor, not the team of trained surgeons who worked for 36 hours on the girls head."  This biased shit needs to stop.  These news companies (Fox especially) think that their audience has the mental capacity of a carrot and need to be spoon feed whatever garbage they are currently pushing because they are incapable of forming their own opinion.  These companies should have real world repercussions for reporting falsehoods and their personal agenda as "news".  Hit them financially every time a lie is said or repeated its a million dollar fine, eventually they will go broke or stop their bullshit either way I win.

[/foamy style rant]
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Ultima22689

That about sums up my opinion. Ironically I saw this after posting this thread so I guess i'm playing devils advocate. Fox still fails IMO but this is good news.

http://blog.norml.org/2009/10/05/fox-ne ... /#comments

Whitney

QuoteA Florida Appeals court ruled there is absolutely nothing illegal about lying, concealing or distorting information by a major press organization. The court reversed the $425,000 jury verdict in favor of journalist Jane Akre who charged she was pressured by Fox Television management and lawyers to air what she knew and documented to be false information. The ruling basically declares it is technically not against any law, rule, or regulation to deliberately lie or distort the news on a television broadcast.
http://www.librarygrape.com/2009/06/cou ... dment.html

Quote from: "Ultima22689"Ironically I saw this after posting this thread so I guess i'm playing devils advocate. Fox still fails IMO but this is good news.

It's probably just an attempt to try to pull libertarians over to the republican side.....

liveyoungdiefast

"If the government had as strict of standards for what could be called news as what could be called orange juice, Fox News would have been off the air a long time ago." - Keith Olbermann

Sheeplauncher

Quote from: "Whitney"
QuoteA Florida Appeals court ruled there is absolutely nothing illegal about lying, concealing or distorting information by a major press organization. The court reversed the $425,000 jury verdict in favor of journalist Jane Akre who charged she was pressured by Fox Television management and lawyers to air what she knew and documented to be false information. The ruling basically declares it is technically not against any law, rule, or regulation to deliberately lie or distort the news on a television broadcast.
http://www.librarygrape.com/2009/06/cou ... dment.html

Quote from: "Ultima22689"Ironically I saw this after posting this thread so I guess i'm playing devils advocate. Fox still fails IMO but this is good news.

It's probably just an attempt to try to pull libertarians over to the republican side.....

Idk Napalitano is a pretty hardcore libertarian and is a life tenured judge. He is probably the only person for works for fox that i respect. Granted hes on on fox but he sticks to his principles.

Whitney

Quote from: "Sheeplauncher"Idk Napalitano is a pretty hardcore libertarian and is a life tenured judge. He is probably the only person for works for fox that i respect. Granted hes on on fox but he sticks to his principles.

Ah, I didn't know FOX had any non-republicans on staff....I basically just don't watch them because every time I do my head starts to feel like it is going to explode.