News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

26 Questions for Atheists from a Class of 8th Graders . . . gird thine loins!

Started by Mr. IXTUS, January 17, 2019, 07:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Asmodean on January 25, 2019, 05:04:21 PM
See, I don't have to conceive what you can get out of it as a superbeing, so by all means, be one in this hypothetical. I cannot comprehend a googolplex years, either. What I can do, however, is put an infinity sign behind the number of times you have done whatever it is I cannot conceive of to the point of tedium, then point out that your eternity has not even truly begun yet.

So, you have been sleeping and forwarding and sleeping again for googolplex to the power of googolplex to the power of googolplex years. Then what? Will you be satisfied with that existence *forever?*

I will be as a tree, do you think trees get bored?
You're a short term organism, there are other ways to be, om.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Asmodean

Say your heart beats once every million years. A million years as you perceive it is still but an instant, compared to eternity. It doesn't matter if you measure moments in seconds, or in lifetimes of the Universe. Eternity always lies ahead of them. Whatever your perspective, eventually you will look back on the immeasurable time past, and realise that compared to what lies ahead, it is no time at all.

Being a tree... I refer you back a few posts, where memory wipes were suggested. My issue with trees is the same. If you do not find coping mechanism argument compelling, consider that as you are now, you will already get an eternity of not being conscious by virtue of having a finite lifespan.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Asmodean on January 25, 2019, 03:12:13 PM
My follow-up is this, though; if you have to resort to memory wipes (And I grant you the ability to do that for free) then what's the point of living forever?
You don't necessarily have to grant me memory wipes, my memory is kinda self wiping already.
You say "coping mechanism" as if I'm some sought of slacker. 
Tails, fur, eyes, claws, opposable thumbs, sleep and forgetting are all coping mechanisms.
If my existence is pleasing to me, I'll be happy to continue.
I think I may be more resistant to ennui than you.
I don't have to look at the infinity of time ahead of me.
I take it a billion years at a time, that's my philosophy.

Asmodean

I tried not to be obvious in trying to lead this discussion here. Succeeded too, I think.

Living forever, while retaining your reasoning and memory capabilities, would not be the blessing those who like the idea paint it to be. Here, today, however, I want to live a little longer precisely because I have some [finite] goals and wishes I want to see realised, I have knowledge to obtain... Things to live for. When I no longer have those, then death... Is welcome to become my final new experience.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Asmodean on January 27, 2019, 10:46:38 AM
I tried not to be obvious in trying to lead this discussion here. Succeeded too, I think.

Living forever, while retaining your reasoning and memory capabilities, would not be the blessing those who like the idea paint it to be. Here, today, however, I want to live a little longer precisely because I have some [finite] goals and wishes I want to see realised, I have knowledge to obtain... Things to live for. When I no longer have those, then death... Is welcome to become my final new experience.

But you don't experience death, you just stop being alive.  :en route:

Asmodean

No, you will not experience being dead. There is a subtle difference there. Subtle, but a fair chunk of "reasoned" fear of death lies within it.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.