News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Science image dump

Started by Claireliontamer, April 10, 2016, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Claireliontamer on May 19, 2017, 05:12:53 PM
It is a map of our metabolic reactions, in particular how we get energy (ATP).  I once knew all those as had to remember them for an A Level Biology exam.  The stupid things we have to commit to memory for exams when in the real world we can just look them up!

Yes, I had to learn most of them as well, especially the citric acid cycle (formerly known as Kreb's cycle) only to forget them just as I walked out the door.

Funny fact: the Krebs bicycle (the Citric Acid and Urea cycles) got translated into "bicicleta de Krebs", which is not bi-cycle as in two cycles but as in the two wheeled bicycle.:suspicious: I think that name even appeared in Lehninger Biochemistry textbooks up to the 3rd edition until it was eventually corrected.   

There's even a fricken' wiki entry for it!

Translation FAIL
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Claireliontamer on May 19, 2017, 05:12:53 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on May 19, 2017, 03:17:48 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 19, 2017, 01:24:34 AM

Ooooh pretty, so pretty, colors and lights...Ok, so can someone explain to me what I'm looking at here? 8) (For a minute I thought it was a battle map of "Y Fighters". ;D

It is a map of our metabolic reactions, in particular how we get energy (ATP).  I once knew all those as had to remember them for an A Level Biology exam.  The stupid things we have to commit to memory for exams when in the real world we can just look them up!

Thanks, but I'm still going to go with the Star Wars "Y" Fighter battle plan.... 8)
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 25, 2017, 03:30:58 AM

Thanks for posting this, I like having it all in one place...(Printed this out, and put in on the side of my fridge)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

I'm sure it's been posted here before, but I like it:
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Claireliontamer

Dave

"Know your crocodilians"

(OK. Just not too intimately... :shocked:)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Claireliontamer

I had no idea geese had such long lives.

Davin

I had no idea that earthworms live for so long.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

I am surprised chickens live thst long - guess those are ones that escape the pot!

They could have had carp at about 70, that was the age of one in London Zoo IIRC. Seems one koi variety can possibly live to 100 in captivity. Just hope carp don't get bored...
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Icarus

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Icarus

Thank you Silver. I have wondered what a chromosome looked like. Now I know that they look like elemental teddy bears.

Where else would we be able to see chromosomes, except on HAF?