News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Former Fundy

Started by Puddinhead, March 01, 2010, 02:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puddinhead

Hi all.  I'm happy to have found this place.  I always describe myself as a "Happy Atheist" and was thrilled to find a forum with the same title.  

I was raised in Wyoming - a moderate fundy and became something of an uber fundy all on my own.  After high school, I attended a literalist bible college.  I had to lobby to get into the meatier classes at this college because the females were supposed to take classes in "how to raise godly children" etc.  Ironically, it was one of these more challenging classes that helped get me out of Christianity.  During Hermeneutics, translating the koine greek of I John, the actual greek stumped me.  The "small little holes" became huge gaping could-drive-a-Mack-truck-through-it chasms.  Convinced it was my weakness, and not Gods Holy Word, I studied harder.  More holes became evident.  I was being "proud" and relying on my mind!  That must be it!  So I turned to prayer, locking myself in a closet and praying for an hour a night.  Still, unable to turn my brain off, my faith slipped away.  I dropped out of bible college.

After a while I attended a state university where I found that, hey, biology, geology, anthropology, history...all confirmed my thoughts about the bible...  Holy Crow!  A whole new world, to quote Aladdin (and Columbus, come to think of it).

Fast-forward to today.  Mommy of three great atheist kids.  I live on an island in the Pacific NW.  I like history, kayaking, anything Whedon-related, supporting liberal causes and have a weakness for taking in foreign exchange students.  I have a special affinity for people coming from fundy families, as I've had many issues of my own with my birth family.  Both sisters are home-schooling pastors wives, which is...I can't say "interesting."  It's a train wreck.   Better relationship with my still fundy parents and my more free-thinking brothers.

And this is too damned long.  Nice to meet ya.

joeactor

Well, howdy Puddin' ;-)

Nice to meet you - thanks much for the introduction.
Glad you're thinker's working well for you.

Hope to chat more on the forums - Welcome,
JoeActor

LoneMateria

Welcome ^_^

Thanks for sharing your story.  It looks like you've had a "fun" ride with religion.  I look forward to future discussions with you.   :D
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

elliebean

Great story! Welcome to the forum. I look forward to reading more of your posts.  :)
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

pinkocommie

Ooh, which island do you live on?  I'm from the Pac NW as well, nice to see a local atheist joining the board.  :D  Welcome to the forum!!
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Puddinhead

Thanks for the nice welcome all.  Pinko, to answer your question, I live on Fidalgo Island - where the ferries go out to the San Juans.  Yeah, it sucks to go to the grocery store in the summer.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Puddinhead"Thanks for the nice welcome all.  Pinko, to answer your question, I live on Fidalgo Island - where the ferries go out to the San Juans.  Yeah, it sucks to go to the grocery store in the summer.

I bet.  Still, such a beautiful place to live.  The San Juans are gorgeous.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

karadan

Welcome to the forum Puddinhead. It was a great intro.

I'm jealous. What a fantastic place to live! I've just looked at the islands on :D
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.