News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

New Guy here

Started by JoeyDiamonds, January 04, 2010, 01:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyDiamonds

Hello fellow people...

Please allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Joey Diamonds and I have chosen to han gout in this forum (if allowed) for no other purpose than to gain knowledge.

A bit about myself:
Husband
Father
Scottish

Not that this has any value, but I have a few degrees including psychology, philosophy, sociology and business but not English so I misspell and my English may not always be proper. The one that I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain.

I am not an atheist but a free-thinker. I do my very best to always avoid saying someone is wrong when it comes to their opinion or beliefs. I enjoy a good debate and try to always listen and never judge.

If I'm not allowed in here because I do not claim to be defined as an atheist, I apologize for intruding and I'll move on.

Whitney

Hi Joey, welcome to HAF.  We allow people of all types here, so feel free to stick around.  The only thing we don't allow is preaching (telling others what they should believe without backing it up with reason) but your background in philosophy should make it easy for you to discuss in a reasoned manner.

AlP

Hello JoeyDiamonds. I'm from Scotland too but I live in California now. Welcome to the forum!
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

JoeyDiamonds

Quote from: "Whitney"Hi Joey, welcome to HAF.  We allow people of all types here, so feel free to stick around.  The only thing we don't allow is preaching (telling others what they should believe without backing it up with reason) but your background in philosophy should make it easy for you to discuss in a reasoned manner.
One thing I don't do is tell others what they should believe ...period.
I'm not sure what reason I could ever give to anyone that would justify my claiming that anyone should change the way they believe.

Peoples beliefs do not make them facts. I could believe that I could fly...someone may tell me "No you can not!" but if I truly believe that I can, I may jump off a building and begin to flap my arms. Gravity would soon tell me that my belief failed to become fact but before I took that final step, I may have still believed that I could fly.

Oh crap....I need to put the philosophy hat up... there's football on TV.

curiosityandthecat

-Curio