Main Menu

Some of My Arts and Crafts

Started by Dark Lightning, September 21, 2018, 12:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Have you taken note of the miraculous profile image  of our Lord and Savior  that is so evident in the middle of the carving?   Egads man, that thing will bring a lot of money if you list it on Ebay.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on February 14, 2019, 11:45:54 PM
Have you taken note of the miraculous profile image  of our Lord and Savior  that is so evident in the middle of the carving?   Egads man, that thing will bring a lot of money if you list it on Ebay.

Eeehhhh, it looks kind of like that kid on "The Simpsons" (I haven't watched that show in, as a guess, 15 years) that has the blue hair(?), reaching for something. It's been a long time, so I don't remember the name, for sure. Milton? As much as I like to be an honest person, if some religious dope came up and offered me a pile of money for some of my schlock, it wouldn't be a location where two fools met, I can assure you.

I bought a book, "The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs and Symbols" on a lark, many years ago. I bought it for the amusement factor, much like one of my mother's friends, who bought the "National Enquirer", calling it her "smut" magazine. I could make some of the stuff in it (the "Encyclopedia") and sell it at some woo-woo site, but I really need to be able to sleep guilt-free at night. Mulcting the credulous, while perhaps a victimless crime, just doesn't seem right to me. P.T. Barnum notwithstanding.

I'm pretty sure that I posted this item here, before. I'd be happy to sell them to anyone interested at $4 a pop, plus shipping. Lot prices available. :D I don't have many, if any, of the ones with the angled legs. if one really wants a batch like that, I could tool up for it. It's a lot easier to make them with straight legs coming out of the seat.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

:( I'm bummed. I started carving the channels, but don't have the hand strength back yet from my carpal tunnel release surgeries going on two years ago. I don't want to drop many hundreds of dollars on power equipment to do this carving. That means my ultimate goal of making one out of black walnut is also off the table. I'll procure a block of basswood (AKA lime wood or linden) by Monday and carve it instead.

Here's a pic of the dog I carved to be a companion of the guy I posted up thread. The carved texture is an attempt to give it a deep coat kind of look. I wanted a sturdy water dog for the Scandinavian guy.  It's ~4" long. :)

Icarus

Amazing that we have so many artistically talented HAFers.  That is nice work DL.  :thumbsup:

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on February 17, 2019, 12:54:08 AM
Amazing that we have so many artistically talented HAFers.  That is nice work DL.  :thumbsup:

Thanks! I started on a bigger clam shell out of a softer wood (bass wood). I'm sitting here at the ripe old age of 66, regretting the rigors I've put myself through during the course of my life, back when I needed to bust my ass and other parts to earn a living for my family and myself. I'm paying the price, now. Back, feet and hands. They'll never be the same. :( One thing I will say about it though, my sons have it way better than I did, as a child.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 17, 2019, 02:14:40 AM

Thanks! I started on a bigger clam shell out of a softer wood (bass wood). I'm sitting here at the ripe old age of 66, regretting the rigors I've put myself through during the course of my life, back when I needed to bust my ass and other parts to earn a living for my family and myself. I'm paying the price, now. Back, feet and hands. They'll never be the same. :( One thing I will say about it though, my sons have it way better than I did, as a child.

And you earned them that improvement. Well done.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 17, 2019, 02:14:40 AM

I admire you for that.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Thanks, guys. :cheersfortwo:

I got the wood for the new shell glued up and cut to size. It's time to start shaping it. It's just a rectilinear block, not really worth posting a picture of that.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 17, 2019, 04:40:43 PM

I got the wood for the new shell glued up and cut to size. It's time to start shaping it. It's just a rectilinear block, not really worth posting a picture of that.

"The sculpture is already complete within the marble block, before I start my work. It is already there, I just have to chisel away the superfluous material."

― Michelangelo
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 17, 2019, 05:16:38 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 17, 2019, 04:40:43 PM

"The sculpture is already complete within the marble block, before I start my work. It is already there, I just have to chisel away the superfluous material."

― Michelangelo

Michelangelo was a far better man than I. Carving marble? And as smooth as the statues ended up? I'm defeated before I start, on something like that. I do like that phrase, though!

Dark Lightning

One of the things about carving is that one has to have the proper tool, like any other endeavor. When I worked as a mechanic, the Snap-On(TM) truck was like drugs. In any given week, one discovers what tool one needs, and then when the "crack" truck rolls in, us mechanics stagger in to buy tools. I have an unbelievable amount of money in mechanic's tools. Don't get me started on woodworking tools. I will say, though, that my wife has easily 5 times what I have spent on those tools, in her quilting tools. Let's start with a $15k sewing machine that can actually scan in a picture and then embroider (or whatever it's called) it on cloth. I'm working on that clam shell carving, and am going to buy about $300 worth of carving chisels to make it. I'm quite reticent to spend that kind of money, since i was so poor as a kid, but WTH, my kids will get the tools when I die. I will always remember watching my dad carve roses in the arms of some arm chairs in our house. Those chairs were picked up curb-side where the neighbors were throwing them out, due to deteriorated upholstery. But my dad was able to make something nice out of them, even so.

Dark Lightning

Got tired of all the chisel and mallet work on the clam shell, and took it to the band saw. Got a little too aggressive, and I'm going to need another chunk of wood to start over.  :-[